Reload this Page >

Marriage License & Name Change

Wikiposts

Marriage License & Name Change

Old May 21st 2004, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Tracy6004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage License & Name Change

I just married my fiancee' this week but our marriage certificate still have her maiden name on the application (because that was the name on her K-1 Visa) alongside my full name. I know she can legally use my last name as her family/surname but will this cause confusion when filling out other documents such as AOS (I-485) Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, or other documents?
Old May 21st 2004, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Marriage License & Name Change

why would it? I filled out my immigration papers in my married name, although the only place I changed it was SSN.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:39 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tracy6004
I just married my fiancee' this week but our marriage certificate still have her maiden name on the application (because that was the name on her K-1 Visa) alongside my full name. I know she can legally use my last name as her family/surname but will this cause confusion when filling out other documents such as AOS (I-485) Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, or other documents?
Nope. My marriage license was stamped and recorded, and this constitued our marriage certificate. It was filled out in my maiden name. I don't think they change it because some women want to keep their maiden name. When filling out any official forms, it usually has a box that says, "Other names used, including maiden name". Just have her put her maiden name in that box, but she can use her married name for actually filing.

Kate. xxxx
Old May 21st 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Tracy6004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Lucy and Kate. I confirmed that with USCIS Customer Service and they said that as long as I have a copy of the marriage certificate, then the agent can correspond the name change on any application.

Tracy & Hannah