Marriage Interviews

Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Kabrav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage Interviews

Hi all
So I have my interview in Jan for green card with my husband (us citizen) and though he is love of my life (met him at 19) then got back in touch 22 years later and I moved here for work and then we got married 4 months later...so very very quick.

I am panicking about the questions, the paperwork is all there joint bills, pictures, wedding info, credit cards health, car, life insurance..except joint taxes as our first filing is early next year.

What sort of questions do you think they will ask, I heard it is as silly as what is his fav color? toothpaste etc, to what is his grandparents first names etc..

thanks so much
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Interviews

Originally Posted by Kabrav
What sort of questions do you think they will ask, I heard it is as silly as what is his fav color? toothpaste etc, to what is his grandparents first names etc..
I have not seen a report of them going into that much detail on the questions here.

They will just ask questions relevent to the I-485, your relationship (maybe how you met, how long you've known each other, etc). Nothing you won't know the answer to.

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

ok thanks rene
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am panicking about the questions...
I'm not sure why - it's pretty straight forward.

I heard it is as silly as what is his fav color? toothpaste etc, to what is his grandparents first names etc...
That might be true if the officer thinks that there is some sort of fraud involved in the paperwork - such as if you were from certain African countries. If your relationship is genuine, it's a breeze.

Ian
Just Joined

my husband thinks I am a moron..could be right....
I don't know, Im never good in any interviews ..I just get nervous!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

my husband thinks I am a moron..could be right....
I don't know, Im never good in any interviews ..I just get nervous!
It's normal to be nervous.

This post might be helpful to you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...09&postcount=8

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's normal to be nervous.

This post might be helpful to you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...09&postcount=8

Rene
Rene:

How come I do not have the privilege of reading the link? Just curious.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

nor me..I thought it was just me
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:39 pm

That's odd. Can you guys see this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...09#post7894509

It's post number 8, by Mr. Folinsky.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:41 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's odd. Can you guys see this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...09#post7894509

It's post number 8, by Mr. Folinsky.

Rene
Nope, I'm getting the standard message "Speedwell, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Nope, I'm getting the standard message "Speedwell, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"
Hmmm, weird.

Well, if Mr. Folinsky doesn't mind, I will copy and paste his advice here:

"I often give the analogy of a school examination. No matter how well you prepared, you will be nervous. You go in and then just do it. Then walk out.

Folinsky's three rules to a successful interview [or avoiding shooting yourself in the foot]

1. Tell the truth. It is easier to remember. Corollary -- don't guess. If you don't know or don't remember, it is OK to say so as long as it is true.

2. Understand the question being asked. If you don't understand the question, say so! It will be repeated or rephrased.

3. Answer the question asked and nothing more. Most people tend to break this. As an example Q: Do you know what time it is? There are only two possible answers: "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't." I often demonstrate by looking at my watch and then say "Yes, I do.""

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nope it comes up with this:

Rete, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP:

It is not a Marriage Interview but an interview for the adjustment of status. Unless you were in one of the states, such as Kentucky, that automatically does a type of Stokes interview (interview husband and wife separately in different rooms), then the questions will be straightforward.

They are interested in verifying the validity of your marriage and this is normally done with simple questions, i.e. how you met, where you work, etc. If you have the documentation to show that you have financially and physically commingled your assets and yourselves, then you are usually good to go.

I recall vividly that at our interview 13 years old, we were asked for a particular document and I had it in a file in a redweld and I was going through the redweld to get it when hubby reached over and said he would look and I snapped at him "No, I know where it is. I'll get it" when the interviewer laughed and said "Now I know you are married".

It is okay to be nervous that normal but to be fearful and shaking in your boots is not. You'll be fine.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In line with Rete's post, it seems that you may have been reading about 'Stokes' interviews, which are most definitely not "silly".

Such interviews are not common at most USCIS field offices, and are held when it's suspected that the relationship is not bona fide.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
I recall vividly that at our interview 13 years old, we were asked for a particular document and I had it in a file in a redweld and I was going through the redweld to get it when hubby reached over and said he would look and I snapped at him "No, I know where it is. I'll get it" when the interviewer laughed and said "Now I know you are married".
I had a very similar situation at our AOS interview! The officer asked for Sadegh's EAD card(s) (he had 2 by that time). As he was fumbling in his wallet for them, I just reached over and took them out of the pocket in his wallet, without saying anything. As I handed them to the officer, she kind of gave us a little grin as if to say "yep, you're married alright". LOL

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.