Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage info RE: Jamaica

Marriage info RE: Jamaica

Old Jul 7th 2002, 11:20 am
Gerry Mayers

Default Marriage info RE: Jamaica

Does anyone know how closely the INS investigates marriages? Meaning how would they
know the difference between someone helping someone get into the USA and a
legitimate marriage. For example how personal do they get during the interview, like
what types of questions are asked? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks to
all those who help.

Gerry M.

Old Jul 7th 2002, 2:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Marriage info RE: Jamaica

Gerry Mayers wrote:
    > Does anyone know how closely the INS investigates marriages? Meaning how would they
    > know the difference between someone helping someone get into the USA and a
    > legitimate marriage. For example how personal do they get during the interview,
    > like what types of questions are asked? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks
    > to all those who help.
    >
All of the Caribbean consulates tend to be very hard-nosed, and you can expect to
have a difficult time, even if they think the relationship is valid. Jamaica is one
of the hardest of the hardest. They do not take this lightly, and nor do I. People
like you hurt the other people here in this group, so don't expect a friendly
reception. Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Jul 8th 2002, 1:20 pm
Gerry Mayers

Sorry you miss understood my post, but it seems that my attorney feels that the
consulate would'nt believe my intentions are true( or hard to prove), because I'm
white and she's black.I believe that what I was trying to get at was, what will it
take to prove myself. Beyond having Ann as my benificiary on

my pension, life insurance, pictures of us together,ect. My attorney is Spar &

Bernstein of NY,NY/ will have me go to Jamaica to get married, I thought this

something that was done in the US. So I will forge ahead anyhow, Thanks for your
time. Gerry M.

Alvena Ferreira wrote:

> Gerry Mayers wrote:
    > > Does anyone know how closely the INS investigates marriages? Meaning how would
    > > they know the difference between someone helping someone get into the USA and a
    > > legitimate marriage. For example how personal do they get during the interview,
    > > like what types of questions are asked? Any other info would be appreciated.
    > > Thanks to all those who help.
    > >
    > All of the Caribbean consulates tend to be very hard-nosed, and you can expect to
    > have a difficult time, even if they think the relationship is valid. Jamaica is one
    > of the hardest of the hardest. They do not take this lightly, and nor do I. People
    > like you hurt the other people here in this group, so don't expect a friendly
    > reception. Alvena

Alvena Ferreira wrote:

> Gerry Mayers wrote:
    > > Does anyone know how closely the INS investigates marriages? Meaning how would
    > > they know the difference between someone helping someone get into the USA and a
    > > legitimate marriage. For example how personal do they get during the interview,
    > > like what types of questions are asked? Any other info would be appreciated.
    > > Thanks to all those who help.
    > >
    > All of the Caribbean consulates tend to be very hard-nosed, and you can expect to
    > have a difficult time, even if they think the relationship is valid. Jamaica is one
    > of the hardest of the hardest. They do not take this lightly, and nor do I. People
    > like you hurt the other people here in this group, so don't expect a friendly
    > reception. Alvena

> Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > =========================================
    > I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
    > gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
    > discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
    > attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
    > =========================================

Old Jul 8th 2002, 10:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Gerry Mayers wrote:
    > Sorry you miss understood my post, but it seems that my attorney feels that the
    > consulate would'nt believe my intentions are true( or hard to prove), because I'm
    > white and she's black.I believe that what I was trying to get at was, what will it
    > take to prove myself. Beyond having Ann as my benificiary on my pension, life
    > insurance, pictures of us together,ect. My attorney is Spar & Bernstein of NY,NY/
    > will have me go to Jamaica to get married, I thought this something that was done
    > in the US. So I will forge ahead anyhow, Thanks for your time. Gerry M.
    >
I think you have a better chance with marriage first, as suggested by your attorney,
frankly. And provide as much documentation (like what you have mentioned above) of
the validity of the relationship as possible. If you have letters, e-mails, pictures,
etc...the more the merrier, frankly.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Jul 9th 2002, 6:20 am
Wife Of Abdias

I married a Haitian out of deep love and affection for the man and his boys. We had
to marry first. I flew to Haiti and had a nice wedding although none of my family
could attend, but all of his did. I am white and of course he is black. We get more
weird look when they ask us how we met. It gets so annoying having to justify your
love life.