Wikiposts

Marriage/illegal/gay

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Marriage/illegal/gay

Why not? They've granted asylum to a Brazilian based on his sexual orientation. The country doesn't necessarily have to have something like a death penalty for being gay. I lived in Sao Paulo for a few years, and it seemed relatively tolerated there, yet the Brazilian guy got it.

Originally Posted by crg14624
I highly doubt many homosexual mexicans are granted asylum.

Last edited by deng890; Mar 23rd 2006 at 4:43 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:41 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
Why not? They've granted asylum to a Brazilian based on his sexual orientation. The country doesn't necessarily have to have something like a death penalty for being gay. I lived in Sao Paulo for a few years, and it seemed relatively tolerated there, yet the Brazilian guy got it.
I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely and nearly impossible. Think of the US immigration system. Now consider that most of the cases involve Mexicans. Think of the mountains of similar applications if they open the door to these kinds of claims. Also, the Mexican government may be really offended if they are labeled a refugee generating country.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely and nearly impossible.
Believe it or not, the US government has granted Mexican nationals asylum in the US, based on various grounds.

Think of the US immigration system. Now consider that most of the cases involve Mexicans. Think of the mountains of similar applications if they open the door to these kinds of claims.
An asylum applicants nationality is not a dispositive factor in determining their asylum claim. Various factors are involved, and the USCIS evaluate that person's individual situation to determine whether they have been persecuted or fear they have been persecuted based on the 5 grounds outlined by the INA. Case law and USCIS policy has demonstrated that sexual orientation as a "social group" can be a legitimate basis for asylum claim. Now whether an individual can make a successful claim is another question. I sense that you feel that the asylum laws could be a "loop hole" for Mexican homosexuals to enter the United States, and thats just plain wrong. Proving persecution/ fear from persecution is not that easy.

Also, the Mexican government may be really offended if they are labeled a refugee generating country.
International treaties and US Immigration law prohibit countries from taking into consideration politics and diplomatic ties when assessing a refugee's/ asylee's application. The potential to hurt the feelings of a certain foreign government just doesn't enter the picture. The United States grants asylums to applicants from all over the world, including countries that the US maintains strong diplomatic ties with.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:46 am
Olivier Wagner

This article may be interesting to his case :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4149892.stm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] oups.com...
    > My friend came to the U.S. four years ago. She is well educated and
    > comes from a successfull family. She came her to live the life style
    > she can't live in Mexico - to be gay. She was born and raised in
    > Southern Mexico. Traveled to Europe. Received her degree at a
    > respectable University. Had her life threatened and kidnapped in her
    > own hometown.
    > She came to the U.S.when a friend of hers stated she could live in
    > America and not worry about being gay. This all took place just prior
    > to 9/11. She indeed, can live the gay lifestyle without the
    > codemnation of her country or family pressuring her to be what she's
    > not - however, all doors are shut when trying to persue anytype of
    > career in the U.S.
    > The "under-the-table" jobs are terrible and degrating. She's now
    > considering marraige so she can at least work a respectable job -
    > unfortunately the Federal /local Governments in the U.S is not
    > accepting this type of marraige legit. If she married a American gay
    > male - what are the reprocussions? Can she even do this because of her
    > status? Will he get into trouble?
    > The marriage will be of convenience for both - they live together, both
    > provide income for the household, etc.... just no sex between the two
    > because of their sexual preferences.
    > Any suggestions?

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:46 am
Olivier Wagner

"crg14624" <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > Why not? They've granted asylum to a Brazilian based on his sexual
    > > orientation. The country doesn't necessarily have to have something
    > > like a death penalty for being gay. I lived in Sao Paulo for a few
    > > years, and it seemed relatively tolerated there, yet the Brazilian
    > > guy got it.
    > I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely and nearly
    > impossible. Think of the US immigration system. Now consider that most
    > of the cases involve Mexicans. Think of the mountains of similar
    > applications if they open the door to these kinds of claims. Also, the
    > Mexican government may be really offended if they are labeled a refugee
    > generating country.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:15 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, the US government has granted Mexican nationals asylum in the US, based on various grounds.

An asylum applicants nationality is not a dispositive factor in determining their asylum claim. Various factors are involved, and the USCIS evaluate that person's individual situation to determine whether they have been persecuted or fear they have been persecuted based on the 5 grounds outlined by the INA. Case law and USCIS policy has demonstrated that sexual orientation as a "social group" can be a legitimate basis for asylum claim. Now whether an individual can make a successful claim is another question. I sense that you feel that the asylum laws could be a "loop hole" for Mexican homosexuals to enter the United States, and thats just plain wrong. Proving persecution/ fear from persecution is not that easy.

International treaties and US Immigration law prohibit countries from taking into consideration politics and diplomatic ties when assessing a refugee's/ asylee's application. The potential to hurt the feelings of a certain foreign government just doesn't enter the picture. The United States grants asylums to applicants from all over the world, including countries that the US maintains strong diplomatic ties with.
I have a copy of the handbook immigration uses to adjudicate refugee claims which relates to asylum. The US has even granted asylum to a Canadian before. However, do you agree that such a claim would be a long shot?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:19 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Olivier Wagner

"crg14624" <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > Why not? They've granted asylum to a Brazilian based on his sexual
    > > orientation. The country doesn't necessarily have to have something
    > > like a death penalty for being gay. I lived in Sao Paulo for a few
    > > years, and it seemed relatively tolerated there, yet the Brazilian
    > > guy got it.
    > I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely and nearly
    > impossible. Think of the US immigration system. Now consider that most
    > of the cases involve Mexicans. Think of the mountains of similar
    > applications if they open the door to these kinds of claims. Also, the
    > Mexican government may be really offended if they are labeled a refugee
    > generating country.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
We all know that San Francisco's Ninth US Circus Court is the most overturned court, and that the government can also appeal to the full Ninth Circus and the Supreme court as well.

Here's another article, it also states how it is a difficult way to go:
http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/usnews22.htm
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification and extra details. I did know of the classification "psychopathic" classification and find it disturbing, thought not surprising, that the INS continued to deport homosexuals even after the PHS refused to issue such certificates! You're right they did look like a bunch of idiots, of course there was one court that was willing to buy the INS argument at the time, the 5th Circuit...not surprising considering it covers some very conservative states.
I did not know about the specific terminology employed by Congress in the 1990 Act, some very interesting facts, thanks for sharing them.

Also, I believe that the Janet Reno established a policy in the early 90's to recognize sexual orientation as a grounds for asylum, right after the case involving the Brazilian guy. If this is correct, do you know of any rumors of the current admin dropping the policy (though seems unlikely as they would've done it by now), and if they did, what kind of effect would that have on asylum rulings?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Just to be pedantic -- not quite right -- the provisions were not "removed" per se, but the procedure for application of the grounds was modifed as per the statute to bring it into conformity with modern medical/mental health terminology. The 1952 Act used terms such as "insanity", "psychopathic personality" "sexual deviation" and "mental defect."

As a matter of practice, the Department of Justice would rely on "Class A" certificates from Public Health Service to establish these conditions. In 1952, homosexuality was considered by established medical practice to be a "sexual deviation" and/or a "mental defect."

However, by the mid to late 1970's the medical profession no longer tagged homosexuality as a "deviation" or "mental defect." So, INS was now deprived of the established way to bar gay people -- the Class A certificate. There was some last gasp efforts to assert independent authority ["we don't need the Class A certificate"] but that really didn't work very well and INS looked like a bunch of idiots.

What the 1990 Act DID do was to make clear that it was HHS that had the primary repsonsibility to determine what was, and what was not a mental illness forming a ground of inadmissiblity. IMHO, if HHS chose to use 1952 medical practice, they would have the authority under the 1990 provisions to bar gay persons.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Like I said, it depends on the individual's circumstance. As noted in the BBC article, a gay Mexican from Mexico City won his asylum claim, despite the fact that he came from Mexico City, which is relatively tolerant to homosexuality, probably more so then some parts of the United States.

The point you seem to be making, and with which I disagree with, is that "because he's Canadian its almost impossible." I believe that a Canadian individual could have a better claim for asylum then, say, a Cambodian or Chinese individual, depending on their individual circumstances, which is exactly what the adjudicator looks at.

Your question on "such a claim would be a long shot" is too generalized. Would I think it a longshot if a Canadian claims persecution based on political opinion? Not if that individual had a credible story and evidence to back it up. Would I think it a long shot if a Chinese individual claims the same thing? Yes, if his story doesn't make sense and he has little or no evidence to back it up.

I have a copy of the handbook immigration uses to adjudicate refugee claims which relates to asylum. The US has even granted asylum to a Canadian before. However, do you agree that such a claim would be a long shot?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are being a trifle disengenous.

The stories mentioned only received comment because of their novelty, and that was due to the unusual nature and success when logic would have suggested otherwise.

It is obviously more difficult for someone to seek assylum for a first world country, the exception only proves the rule.

The law of large numbers suggests that there will be the odd case granted for whatever reason. The chances of that happening to any one individual, such as the individual mentioned here, are very small.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:37 pm
crg
American Expat

Like I said, it depends on the individual's circumstance. As noted in the BBC article, a gay Mexican from Mexico City won his asylum claim, despite the fact that he came from Mexico City, which is relatively tolerant to homosexuality, probably more so then some parts of the United States.

The point you seem to be making, and with which I disagree with, is that "because he's Canadian its almost impossible." I believe that a Canadian individual could have a better claim for asylum then, say, a Cambodian or Chinese individual, depending on their individual circumstances, which is exactly what the adjudicator looks at.

Your question on "such a claim would be a long shot" is too generalized. Would I think it a longshot if a Canadian claims persecution based on political opinion? Not if that individual had a credible story and evidence to back it up. Would I think it a long shot if a Chinese individual claims the same thing? Yes, if his story doesn't make sense and he has little or no evidence to back it up.
"I believe that a Canadian individual could have a better claim for asylum then, say, a Cambodian or Chinese individual, depending on their individual circumstances, which is exactly what the adjudicator looks at."

Okay, an asylum officer or IJ makes the decision, not an adjudicator. Also, a Canadian has an miniscule chance at asylum and Chinese get it quite often. I don't know how you could think a Canadian could ever have a *better* chance.

The US even has an agreement called a "safe third country" policy where someone who is claiming asylum across the US/Canadian border will most likely be summarily denied access to the asylum process because they need to process their claim in Canada. Granted, the rule doesn't apply to Canadians or US citizens, but it shows that the US government thinks Canada is a safe and fair place. They don't have forced abortions, sterilizations, Falun Gong, or a one child policy. They have gay marriage and a slew of other liberal policies.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Yes I know an asylum officer "adjudicates" the application. Or "makes a determination on the merits" of the application, or "determines the credibility of the application," whichever you prefer. Is there anything else you want to nit pick with? If you want to discuss something innacurate, we could begin with all your wildly innacurate assertions in your original reply to me.

The reason I got into this protracted debate with you in the first place was to regarding my first message to the OP. It was you who declared such an idea as asylum as miniscule because, basically "she's Mexican" "there are too many mexicans here already" and that the "Mexican government would be really offended," despite the facts offered by the original poster. Well, if what the the facts that OP said is taken as true with some evidence, would that person still have a chance of gaining asylum as a Mexican?

"I believe that a Canadian individual could have a better claim for asylum then, say, a Cambodian or Chinese individual, depending on their individual circumstances, which is exactly what the adjudicator looks at."

Okay, an asylum officer or IJ makes the decision, not an adjudicator. Also, a Canadian has an miniscule chance at asylum and Chinese get it quite often. I don't know how you could think a Canadian could ever have a *better* chance.

The US even has an agreement called a "safe third country" policy where someone who is claiming asylum across the US/Canadian border will most likely be summarily denied access to the asylum process because they need to process their claim in Canada. Granted, the rule doesn't apply to Canadians or US citizens, but it shows that the US government thinks Canada is a safe and fair place. They don't have forced abortions, sterilizations, Falun Gong, or a one child policy. They have gay marriage and a slew of other liberal policies.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 5:27 am
crg
American Expat

Yes I know an asylum officer "adjudicates" the application. Or "makes a determination on the merits" of the application, or "determines the credibility of the application," whichever you prefer. Is there anything else you want to nit pick with? If you want to discuss something innacurate, we could begin with all your wildly innacurate assertions in your original reply to me.

The reason I got into this protracted debate with you in the first place was to regarding my first message to the OP. It was you who declared such an idea as asylum as miniscule because, basically "she's Mexican" "there are too many mexicans here already" and that the "Mexican government would be really offended," despite the facts offered by the original poster. Well, if what the the facts that OP said is taken as true with some evidence, would that person still have a chance of gaining asylum as a Mexican?
She also has a chance at picking the winning numbers in the powerball lottery. However, I think you need to be legal to collect any winnings.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She also has a chance at picking the winning numbers in the powerball lottery. However, I think you need to be legal to collect any winnings.
Same sort of chance, they do harp on about how you need to be legal, just wondered what the history was.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 3:35 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Boiler
Same sort of chance, they do harp on about how you need to be legal, just wondered what the history was.
I know it's illegal to bring lottery tickets across the border. Maybe they were afraid of schemes or getting their taxes. I suppose a US citizen who resides foreign may not be allowed to participate.