Reload this Page >

Marriage Fraud interview - questions

Marriage Fraud interview - questions

Old Nov 28th 2004, 7:40 am
Just Joined

ChrisHM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage Fraud interview - questions

Hello there,

I married my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and I just hired an immigration lawyer to process my AOS case. I want to adjust my status from F-1 student visa to "legal US permanent resident". My lawyer said that since I've known my wife for less than 1 year (we met in August), my case will automatically go into the "possible fraud" category and we'll have a "marriage fraud" interview BEFORE our "Adjustment of Status" interview. The lawyer told me that INS will put us in 2 separate rooms and ask us about 200 questions, some of which very intimate. This sounds pretty horrible to me, not only do I have to lose another full day of my life with INS, but I'm gonna get cross-questioned like... I don't know - a criminal???

Is this really true? If someone has experienced such an interview before, could you please give me some advice? What kinda questions do they ask besides the standard ones like "When and where did you meet?" What happens if we give some wrong answers or we just don't remember? I mean, what if they ask "What's your wife's toothbrush color?" and I get it wrong since by nature I don't really pay that much attention to small details? I mean, who cares about some toothbrush anyway? I'm taking a full courseload and I have 2 part-time on-campus jobs, I can't believe I'm gonna have to waste so much time on petty stuff like that...

Thanks for helping me guys, I really appreciate it.

Chris
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage Fraud interview - questions

Originally Posted by ChrisHM
Hello there,

I married my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and I just hired an immigration lawyer to process my AOS case. I want to adjust my status from F-1 student visa to "legal US permanent resident". My lawyer said that since I've known my wife for less than 1 year (we met in August), my case will automatically go into the "possible fraud" category and we'll have a "marriage fraud" interview BEFORE our "Adjustment of Status" interview. The lawyer told me that INS will put us in 2 separate rooms and ask us about 200 questions, some of which very intimate. This sounds pretty horrible to me, not only do I have to lose another full day of my life with INS, but I'm gonna get cross-questioned like... I don't know - a criminal???

Is this really true? If someone has experienced such an interview before, could you please give me some advice? What kinda questions do they ask besides the standard ones like "When and where did you meet?" What happens if we give some wrong answers or we just don't remember? I mean, what if they ask "What's your wife's toothbrush color?" and I get it wrong since by nature I don't really pay that much attention to small details? I mean, who cares about some toothbrush anyway? I'm taking a full courseload and I have 2 part-time on-campus jobs, I can't believe I'm gonna have to waste so much time on petty stuff like that...

Thanks for helping me guys, I really appreciate it.

Chris
Hi:

You don't say where you are. I'm an immigration lawyer who has been doing this stuff for longer that I care to state and I'm scratching my head.

You may want to consult with another lawyer.

As a side thought -- are you sure the person you talked to is a licensed attorney? All too often, when I hear things like this, the "lawyer" turns out to be a "broker", "notario", "consultant" or some such ilk.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:37 am
Anon

ChrisHM wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I married my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and I just hired an
    > immigration lawyer to process my AOS case. I want to adjust my status
    > from F-1 student visa to "legal US permanent resident". My lawyer said
    > that since I've known my wife for less than 1 year (we met in August),
    > my case will automatically go into the "possible fraud" category and
    > we'll have a "marriage fraud" interview BEFORE our "Adjustment of
    > Status" interview.

Interesting... Does you lawyer indicates whether this is something he
has heard, or has he experienced it with many of his clients? Did his
immigration law education for AOS consist of watching the movie "Green
Card"... I anxiously wait for the response from the lawyers on here,
but this really doesn't sound true. One word of caution.. Make sure
you know whether you have a real or artificial Christmas tree. :)

Old Nov 28th 2004, 2:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

I married my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and I just hired an immigration lawyer to process my AOS case. I want to adjust my status from F-1 student visa to "legal US permanent resident". My lawyer said that since I've known my wife for less than 1 year (we met in August), my case will automatically go into the "possible fraud" category and we'll have a "marriage fraud" interview BEFORE our "Adjustment of Status" interview.
I think you are spouting a load of crap... Care to name the supposed lawyer..
Old Nov 28th 2004, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking a full courseload and I have 2 part-time on-campus jobs, I can't believe I'm gonna have to waste so much time on petty stuff like that...
If you're seeking permanent residency - regardless of the hoops through which you must jump beforehand - I'm not sure "petty stuff" is the phrase I'd use!

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2004, 5:02 pm
Angelmaries

I havent heard such things and as long as its the standard procedure
of INS you just have to deal with it, if you want to get your green
card and you dont have nothing to hide everything will turn out fine.

Folinskyinla <member4043@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Hello there,
    > >
    > > I married my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and I just hired an
    > > immigration lawyer to process my AOS case. I want to adjust my status
    > > from F-1 student visa to "legal US permanent resident". My lawyer said
    > > that since I've known my wife for less than 1 year (we met in August),
    > > my case will automatically go into the "possible fraud" category and
    > > we'll have a "marriage fraud" interview BEFORE our "Adjustment of
    > > Status" interview. The lawyer told me that INS will put us in 2
    > > separate rooms and ask us about 200 questions, some of which very
    > > intimate. This sounds pretty horrible to me, not only do I have to
    > > lose another full day of my life with INS, but I'm gonna get cross-
    > > questioned like... I don't know - a criminal???
    > >
    > > Is this really true? If someone has experienced such an interview
    > > before, could you please give me some advice? What kinda questions do
    > > they ask besides the standard ones like "When and where did you
    > > meet?" What happens if we give some wrong answers or we just don't
    > > remember? I mean, what if they ask "What's your wife's toothbrush
    > > color?" and I get it wrong since by nature I don't really pay that
    > > much attention to small details? I mean, who cares about some
    > > toothbrush anyway? I'm taking a full courseload and I have 2 part-
    > > time on-campus jobs, I can't believe I'm gonna have to waste so much
    > > time on petty stuff like that...
    > >
    > > Thanks for helping me guys, I really appreciate it.
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > You don't say where you are. I'm an immigration lawyer who has
    > been doing this stuff for longer that I care to state and I'm
    > scratching my head.
    >
    > You may want to consult with another lawyer.
    >
    > As a side thought -- are you sure the person you talked to is a licensed
    > attorney? All too often, when I hear things like this, the "lawyer"
    > turns out to be a "broker", "notario", "consultant" or some such ilk.
    >
    > Good luck.

Old Nov 28th 2004, 6:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're seeking permanent residency - regardless of the hoops through which you must jump beforehand - I'm not sure "petty stuff" is the phrase I'd use!

Ian
I second that. Obtaining permanent residency is not "petty" and thus the screening process for it is not petty, nor should it be.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

And be thankful that you are able to be with your wife NOW; there are many who go for months and months being separated from their spouses by thousands of miles. A day out of one's life to answer some questions by USCIS is something many would gladly endure if it meant they could be with their loved ones sooner.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You don't say where you are. I'm an immigration lawyer who has been doing this stuff for longer that I care to state and I'm scratching my head.

You may want to consult with another lawyer.

As a side thought -- are you sure the person you talked to is a licensed attorney? All too often, when I hear things like this, the "lawyer" turns out to be a "broker", "notario", "consultant" or some such ilk.

Good luck.

I'm in the Bay Area and the lawyer who told me this has his bio at the following website: http://www.visalaw.com/lubarsky.html

He looks legit and he has a certificate from AILA, I think he's a member of AILA. I just fired him today and had him refund my money. I'll hire another lawyer in San Francisco, he'll charge me more but I think he's more reliable.

So, no "fraud interview", eh?

Chris
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
I think you are spouting a load of crap... Care to name the supposed lawyer..
Check the link I sent in my previous reply - the lawyer's name is Alex Lubarsky. As far as the "crap" goes - I only told you what HE told me. Ok?
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I second that. Obtaining permanent residency is not "petty" and thus the screening process for it is not petty, nor should it be.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

And be thankful that you are able to be with your wife NOW; there are many who go for months and months being separated from their spouses by thousands of miles. A day out of one's life to answer some questions by USCIS is something many would gladly endure if it meant they could be with their loved ones sooner.

~ Jenney
I've nothing to hide but my time is precious. Dealing with "red tape" is not my favorite past-time. As far as the "petty" stuff goes - I only said that to qualify some possible questions at the interview, not the immigration process as a whole. Obviously, becoming a permanent resident of another country is not something you do every day.

Chris
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've nothing to hide but my time is precious. Dealing with "red tape" is not my favorite past-time. As far as the "petty" stuff goes - I only said that to qualify some possible questions at the interview, not the immigration process as a whole. Obviously, becoming a permanent resident of another country is not something you do every day.

Chris
I think you have probably got the gist that nobody has heard of this before. And you would have thought this might have been mentioned.

Unfortunately the US system is far from user friendly, you play by their rules or they will hurt you, just something you need to accept.

You might also want to have a look on the AOS board of www.visajourney.com, never seen it mentioned there as well.

Hence the query on the validity of your source. Could be something new.

But for most people you are going to an old maried couple before you get the interview anyway.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:55 am
Anon

Brit'n'TX wrote:
    >>If you're seeking permanent residency - regardless of the hoops
    >>through which you must jump beforehand - I'm not sure "petty stuff" is
    >>the phrase I'd use!
    >>Ian
    >
    >
    > sanctimonious prick

Do you think this is really "petty stuff"?

Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:55 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the Bay Area and the lawyer who told me this has his bio at the following website: http://www.visalaw.com/lubarsky.html
He looks legit and he has a certificate from AILA, I think he's a member of AILA. I just fired him today and had him refund my money. I'll hire another lawyer in San Francisco, he'll charge me more but I think he's more reliable.
So, no "fraud interview", eh?
Chris
Hi Chris. I looked up Mr Lubarsky on the State Bar of California site
and one thing it does not mention is he does Immigration work, it say's:

Alex Lubarsky, LL.M., is a practicing trial attorney involved with legal technology sales, trial presentation, and training for over a decade. In addition to maintaining an active community-based law firm, Alex served as the Lexis/Nexis training director for California and spent four years as an account representative and educational coordinator with Summation Software.
He currently teaches law office software applications with the Paralegal Education Certificate Programs at San Francisco State and Hayward State University. Alex also taught automated litigation support and computer assisted legal research at Sonoma State University and lectured at St. Mary's College.
He has authored several pieces on legal technology for Law Office Computing Magazine, and regularly lectures on the subject.
Alex is certified in various legal software applications including all levels of Summation and all Casesoft Products. He has consulted to over 100 law firms, government counsel groups and corporate legal departments.

And of course I am presuming its the same person but the telephones number seem to match those on the Visalaw site.

Geg Siskind of visalaw IS a well known and respected Immigration Laywer
if you wish to look into this more Greg is very approachable, his email is
[email protected]..

When Mr F who has been an Immigration Lawyer for some 200 years says
"I'm scratching my head. You may want to consult with another lawyer"

You know something is not quite right.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:11 am
Anon

MightBe wrote:
    >
    > Hi Chris. I looked up Mr Lubarsky on the State Bar of California site
    > and one thing it does not mention is he does Immigration work, it say's:
    >
    > Alex Lubarsky, LL.M., is a practicing trial attorney involved with legal
    > technology sales, trial presentation, and training for over a decade. In
    > addition to maintaining an active community-based law firm, Alex served
    > as the Lexis/Nexis training director for California and spent four years
    > as an account representative and educational coordinator with Summation
    > Software.
    > He currently teaches law office software applications with the Paralegal
    > Education Certificate Programs at San Francisco State and Hayward State
    > University. Alex also taught automated litigation support and computer
    > assisted legal research at Sonoma State University and lectured at St.
    > Mary's College.
    > He has authored several pieces on legal technology for Law Office
    > Computing Magazine, and regularly lectures on the subject.
    > Alex is certified in various legal software applications including all
    > levels of Summation and all Casesoft Products. He has consulted to over
    > 100 law firms, government counsel groups and corporate legal
    > departments.
    >
    > And of course I am presuming its the same person but the telephones
    > number seem to match those on the Visalaw site.

I am confused.
According to http://www.visalaw.com/lubarsky.html

Alex Lubarsky, LL.M., Esq. is a family based immigration attorney
specializing in visa processing, waivers, relief from
removal/deportation, immigration appeals and consular processing. Alex,
a sixth generation San Franciscan, has worked exclusively in immigration
upon his graduation from Golden Gate University School of Law where he
earned both a Juris Doctorate and a Masters degree in law. He has
authored a monthly article on immigration topics for the Bay Area
Spanish TV Guide.
<more info follows in the article>

Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:19 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Your confused...
He is back to being an Immigration Lawyer here
http://www.enterusa.com/staff.html

A man of enormous talent it seems...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.