Wikiposts

Marriage fell apart

Old Jul 14th 2002, 1:20 am
Bobby

Default Marriage fell apart

Hi, I came to the MN one year ago through a k-1 Visa, everything was alright untill
after marriage, when problems started, My spouse doesnt want to work and just want to
depend on gov assistance, she doesnt want to help out the household of 4 people : me,
her, her son and our newborn daughter.. plus she doesnt do compeletly her job in the
house as a housewife , the house is usually messy, she scarecely cooks, and the
expenses are rising with our newborn.. plus she took all my taxes from last year and
deposited them in her account... plus I pay all her credit cards bills! So I decided
to end the marriage.. but i have a question : I have the conditional green card, but
the 10 years one not yet until 2004.. how will my status be affected? Am I
deportable? will they send me back to my country without my daughter? or there is a
possibility to file the I-751? what are my chances to be approved? do I still have to
pay her credit card bills even after divorce (the accounts on her name)? Thanks for
your help, I'm really hopeless here

Old Jul 14th 2002, 2:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Marriage fell apart

Bobby wrote:
    > I came to the MN one year ago through a k-1 Visa, everything was alright untill
    > after marriage, when problems started, My spouse doesnt want to work and just want
    > to depend on gov assistance, she doesnt want to help out the household of 4 people
    > : me, her, her son and our newborn daughter.. plus she doesnt do compeletly her job
    > in the house as a housewife , the house is usually messy, she scarecely cooks, and
    > the expenses are rising with our newborn.. plus she took all my taxes from last
    > year and deposited them in her account... plus I pay all her credit cards bills! So
    > I decided to end the marriage.. but i have a question : I have the conditional
    > green card, but the 10 years one not yet until 2004.. how will my status be
    > affected? Am I deportable? will they send me back to my country without my
    > daughter? or there is a possibility to file the I-751? what are my chances to be
    > approved? do I still have to pay her credit card bills even after divorce (the
    > accounts on her name)?

As a conditional green card holder, you are eligible after the divorce to apply for
removal of conditions based on the divorce. You will need to show evidence that the
original marriage was entered into in good faith, however. Be getting this evidence
together BEFORE you split this marriage, as this might be hard to come by afterwards.

The fact that you had a daughter together is pretty good proof, by the way, and you
should definitely have a copy of that birth certificate and some family pictures of
all of you if you have any. (if not, perhaps you can take some now?) But you should
show additional proof of the bona fide marriage, as much as you can muster together.

You are not obligated to pay her credit card bills after the divorce, providing that
your name is not also on the cards.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jul 14th 2002, 6:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As Alvena said you can apply for the removal of conditions asa your divorce is final if this occurs the due date for removal in 2004. Bear in mind, however, that your wife's debts, if incurred while you were married, are in many states your debts as well. For example, if she applied for a credit card after your marriage, even though it is in her name only, you are still liable. This many not hold true for cards obtained prior to your marriage. The premise is that as a spouse you enjoyed the merchandise, etc. obtained through the charges.

I don't know what government assistance your wife is receiving and how she can do this if you are living there and working. Also as to your complaints about her taking your tax refund check, if you filed jointly the check can in both names and there was not illegal about her doing this. Your issues as to being a sloppy housewife and/or non-domesticated is an issue for your divorce attorney. As the mother of your child, she will probably seek custody of the child and in turn be given child support and perhaps alimony.

The first things you need to do is get the evidence of a valid marriage before they disappear and second get yourself a good divorce attorney.

Good luck

Rete
Old Jul 14th 2002, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the wife getting alimony most states now will not give alimony unless married more than 10 years. But the child will get child support. The only child that will get the support is the child born between the 2 of you. So she will have to get a job or go on welfare after the divorce. Also as far as the credit cards it depends what she asks for and fights for. You should get an attorney some will even allow you to pay what you can. Mine requested 50% down and then pay as much as I could since he knew my ex did not want to pay child support until court demanded him to. But keep in mind my ex is also in the arrears because of that. So now he is stuck paying extra to make up for what he did not pay plus interest on it.