Marriage on F1?

Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on F1?

I'm reading conflicting info online about what my status becomes should we marry... What happens to my student status? What would my official status be when we submit all the forms?

I'm reading I have to maintain full time student status within regulation with the F1 visa until I get my Permanent Resident card, but that takes up to a year I believe (correct me if I'm wrong!), and I'd get my EAD within 90 days according to USCIS. So would I be allowed to actually work full time as soon as I get this? Because this obviously violates my student visa and conflicts with it.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

After submitting the AOS package, your status becomes "pending AOS".

The rest, I believe you are allowed to study as a pending AOS, but double check with the school. That way, your not on F-1 anymore and can also work ful time if you want.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
After submitting the AOS package, your status becomes "pending AOS".

The rest, I believe you are allowed to study as a pending AOS, but double check with the school. That way, your not on F-1 anymore and can also work ful time if you want.

Rene
So I don't have to maintain F1 status anymore as I'd be pending AOS? There are not possible issues being pending AOS?

My scholarship is dependant on me being an international student, so if the school say I can no long receive said scholarship, am I able to drop to part time studies (3-6 credits instead of 9 credits)? This is what I'm worried about, as I'd want to drop to part time if this happens.

This way I can still study my masters, but attend part time instead, until my EAD comes through and I find full time work? Full time work means I can afford to pick up more classes again, as my fees aren't too expensive but I rely on the scholarship to pay my fees. That was my biggest concern.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with F-1 rules, hopefully someone will come along who knows.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Read my time line.

You send the big envelope with all your documents. A few weeks later you get a 'notice of action'. Once you've got this (Quite honestly who cares if its before or not) you can technically abandon your student status and run free. However you cannot yet work. You are considered in 'Adjustment of Status' and your F1 is null and void at this time, you are literally in limbo. In my case, we applied in April, my classes ended in May and I took the summer off (per the F1 rules). When I became a PR over the summer I never went back to that school and instead am now in medical school getting all the benefits of an 'in-state' student.

You will attend a biometrics appointment (absolutely nothing worth getting excited about), and then a few weeks to a couple of months after that you will get your EAD/AP card.

Then you can work full time to your hearts content. It will be ofcourse beneficial to maintain student status (actually going to classes) around the time of your interview to enforce the fact that you are not using your F1 as leverage to become a PR. If your girlfriends income is enough to meet the poverty threshold then quit worrying about her parents. She needs three years of tax returns so start working on that. They don't care if she earned $10 last year, all that really matters is what she earns now. (My now wife was a stay at home mom so earned virtually nill) but now earns triple the threshold.

In short, you've nothing to worry about. Do as I said above and you will have your card in a few months. Our household went from my wifes salary barely scraping us by to a $100k household in months.

Last edited by notaclue; Jan 8th 2018 at 1:44 am.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Right, so I guess you were all right, her parents are more than happy for us to do it this way! They would rather it done traditionally, but alas we aren’t really in a situation for that, and marriage makes more sense than ever now, with our change in plans together etc. They think I’m perfect for my gf, they really like me a lot, and that they are happy to have me in the family properly, etc! We are going to keep it quiet, and have an unofficial official ceremony in a year or twos time.

Next stage can now begin - we will get married in the next few weeks, but we are going to make a start on paperwork this weekend, as we want time to fill it out correctly. Any tips or advice?

Are these all the forms we need? Anything else on top of these?

I-130 (Petition for alien relative)
I-130A (Supplemental info for spouse beneficiary)
I-864 (Affidavit of support)
I-485 (Application to adjust status)
G-325a (Biographic Info)
I-765 (EAD)
I-131 (AP)
G-1145 (e-notification)
I-693 (Medical Exam)

One cheque for I-130 fee
One cheque for I-485 plus biometric fee

Unsure of the current fees though!

I’ve been reading online the medical is good for 12 months only, and I’ve seen suggestions online to wait until you get an interview letter to do the medical and the I-693, as the medical may expire. To just bring it to the interview. Would this be a good or bad idea?

Sorry for so many questions, you guys here are so helpful and I want to get it right, without any of those dreaded RFE’s!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 4:17 am

Current fees are found on www.uscis.gov, on the I-130 and I-485 pages.

Re the medical, it used to be that you include the sealed results with the AOS package. I'm not sure if that has changed.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Current fees are found on www.uscis.gov, on the I-130 and I-485 pages.

Re the medical, it used to be that you include the sealed results with the AOS package. I'm not sure if that has changed.

Rene
Thank you so much. And those are the only fees we have to pay, alongside a medical and other costs (marriage, copies of stuff, etc?)

Are all those the correct forms I need above?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:42 am

Yes and yes.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste

Next stage can now begin - we will get married in the next few weeks
Congratulations! I think that, in years to come, you will find that you look back on this quiet wedding as more meaningful to both of you than a big fancy event.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Congratulations! I think that, in years to come, you will find that you look back on this quiet wedding as more meaningful to both of you than a big fancy event.
Thank you We are excited now!

We are also slightly worried that us being in a relationship before I came here on my F1 might be an issue to USCIS... But I guess it's natural to worry and assume the worst outcome!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Maste
Thank you We are excited now!

We are also slightly worried that us being in a relationship before I came here on my F1 might be an issue to USCIS... But I guess it's natural to worry and assume the worst outcome!
Nope, it will be fine. USCIS won't even know that unless they specifically ask.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, it will be fine. USCIS won't even know that unless they specifically ask.

Rene
Brilliant, thank you!

How do we prove a bona fide relationship by the way? I saw it as a recommendation to provide proof. I mean, we are still pretty young so don't really have shared accounts, shared mortgage, bills etc. We both get letters sent to us here at our address, would maybe including a letter with our name and address on prove that we reside at the same address?

I mean, we have photos together, and that's mostly it, but otherwise we don't have much else.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the bank this week and create a joint account, Get put on her car insurance, photographs together and three letters from people who both know you who can attest (get them to notarize their letters) to your relationships authenticity.

Go get the medical done, don't wait until the interview. Send it all together in one big pack as your interview could be as soon as four months and you may then be unable to get an appointment with a doc. They will most likely give you less than one months notice about all of your appointments.

Stop worrying about the fact you were together before hand, they don't care.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notaclue
Go to the bank this week and create a joint account, Get put on her car insurance, photographs together and three letters from people who both know you who can attest (get them to notarize their letters) to your relationships authenticity.

Go get the medical done, don't wait until the interview. Send it all together in one big pack as your interview could be as soon as four months and you may then be unable to get an appointment with a doc. They will most likely give you less than one months notice about all of your appointments.

Stop worrying about the fact you were together before hand, they don't care.
We can create a joint account and despite it's infancy, it'll class as proof?

Ok, that's a fair point. We will look into it all this weekend when we begin the process!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.