Marriage or education visa?

Wikiposts

Marriage or education visa?

Old Oct 13th 2007, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage or education visa?

Originally Posted by davidr1534
Firstly, thanks for the great forum and apologies if there has been a similar query before (if so, just direct me there!)

I am a British citizen and am engaged to an American citizen, and planning to move over there within the next year or so.

One option I am considering is going to law school in America. Assuming that I am admitted, I do not know whether it is better/easier to enter on a student visa (and then marry a bit later and eventually change status) or go in on a fiance/marriage visa. I am aware that you are not meant to go in on an education visa with the intent to stay (at least I think...) but have heard several stories of people getting away with this path. Would a law degree impact either way on this??

Many thanks for your help in advance,

David
Hi David:

Can't say what is "best" for you. However, I do see a slight misconcpetion creeping into the answers you are getting.

One my favorite "oldie but a goodie" of a case is Matter of Hosseinpour found at
http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf

The case has never been overruled. It is not exactly on point for your situation, but it can give some guidance. Please note that the numerology has changed quite a bit since this case came out.

Also, it seems that Consular Officers are NOT trained about this case. A retired ConOff who moderates a consular officer chat group [which he has graciously let me join] was quite surprised when I told him about this case. It changed his viewpoint on a bona fide student with intent to marry.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage or education visa?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi David:

Can't say what is "best" for you. However, I do see a slight misconcpetion creeping into the answers you are getting.

One my favorite "oldie but a goodie" of a case is Matter of Hosseinpour found at
http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf

The case has never been overruled. It is not exactly on point for your situation, but it can give some guidance. Please note that the numerology has changed quite a bit since this case came out.

Also, it seems that Consular Officers are NOT trained about this case. A retired ConOff who moderates a consular officer chat group [which he has graciously let me join] was quite surprised when I told him about this case. It changed his viewpoint on a bona fide student with intent to marry.

Good luck.
Good grief! Talk about a catch 22.

Do you think they would treat such a case similarly now?