Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage and DMV - what a combo!

Wikiposts

Marriage and DMV - what a combo!

Old Jun 27th 2003, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

mikkitango is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage and DMV - what a combo!

Hey everyone! Stan and I got married yesterday at the Jefferson County Courthouse in Golden, Colorado. It really was a lovely ceremony and we were both surprised as we expected something more cut and dried and probably just read to us.
The magistrate we got was wonderful and talked about love and
marriage and we really liked the ceremony. We went first to the
County Clerk & Recorder to get our license, then to the magistrate for the ceremony, then back to the Clerk to file the marriage certificate and get some certified copies - only $3 each there. Apparently the original marriage certificate will be mailed back to us in about 10 days.

After a nice celebration lunch with my new step-daughter and her
family (YAY! I'm officially "Grandma Mikki" now!), we went to the DMV to get my first official Colorado ID and also my first ID with my new name. (I hadn't changed my surname with my prior marriage, but decided to this time - writing a different name takes some getting used to as I'm sure many of you know already). Ah, the DMV.... from talking to a few others waiting there, this was a typical DMV experience no matter where you are in the U.S. apparently. I was shocked as I'm from Winnipeg where there's rarely been anyone waiting when I've gone into the DMV and I've always had quick in and out experiences. Not so here. We arrived at 3:30, and took a number - with only 112 people ahead of us!!! Stan said to me you watch, the closer it gets to quitting time the faster they'll move and he was right. When we got there, there were only 2 clerks working but as time went on, more and more clerks appeared and the numbers went faster and faster. Just at quitting time - 5:00 (by this time there were 7 clerks working LOL), my number came up. Colorado has 2 ways of processing driver's licenses for out-of-state folks. You can keep your existing license and do the written and road tests to obtain a Colorado license OR you can surrender your existing license in exchange for a Colorado one. I surrendered mine and was issued a
Colorado license right away. I had to provide my passport and my
marriage certificate as proof of name and age. It was that easy,
apart from the waiting. And it was funny to see those clerks just
flying by that time. During my time at the counter, one of the
clerks went and locked the door and came back and told everyone get with it, there are still 40some numbers to go! LOL

Monday is the day we're going to try to hit BCIS with AOS, EAD, and AP. Gonna be there bright and early and prepared to wait!!!! Wish me luck and I'll tell you how it goes.

Mikki
Old Jun 27th 2003, 4:42 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on your marriage and good luck with the AOS/EAD/AP

We've just gone through it and got our interview date for Sept 15 so didn't need to file EAD or AP
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on your double header - a wedding *and* a drivers' license in just one day!

Best wishes to you both.