Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage Certificate AND Divorce Certificate?

Wikiposts

Marriage Certificate AND Divorce Certificate?

Old Jul 11th 2002, 4:14 pm
Jenney

Default Marriage Certificate AND Divorce Certificate?

Hello all!

My fiance (UK) and I are preparing documentation for the I-129 petition, but I have a
question about something:

While my fiance is never-married, I am divorced. Understandably I am required to
submit an official copy of the divorce decree from my first marriage. However, I have
seen on some sites that submitting an offical copy of my marriage certificate (from
same first marriage) is also required, or at least recommended.

Any thoughts or input on this? Thanks in advance!

~ Jenney

p.s. This is all new to us, so expect to see me around here quite often!!

Old Jul 11th 2002, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Marriage Certificate AND Divorce Certificate?

I can only comment on my experience, but I never produced my
marriage certificate from my previous marriage, and it didn't come up at my interview.
But that is based on filing an I-130 in London.

good luck
Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:20 am
Cp

Jenney you will need a marriage certificate and a divorce decree. You don't need to
send the originals but do have to send a certified copy of each. We just had to order
the marriage certificate for my fiance'(U.K.C.) I am visiting here till August and
did all the paper work for the fiance' visa from here so far.

This may help you:

By telephone: ( This is how we did it and used his switch card, we had no problems at
all. While we were at it we ordered a birth certificate and they both came in
together about 2 weeks later. You do know that you need the long form birth
certificate, it has to have your parents names and info. on
it. If you don't just tell that to the person you talk to and they will know what
your talking about.) To order by telephone please ring +44 (0)870 243 77 88. You
can apply by telephone if you have a credit or debit card. We accept Visa,
Mastercard, Solo, Delta or Switch.

How to apply for certificates by post, fax and telephone

The original records of births, marriages and deaths are not open to the public, but
you can get copies of entries in the form of birth, marriage and death certificates.
Costs vary according to what type of certificate you want, how you apply and how
urgently you need it. This section tells you about getting certificates by post,
telephone or fax from the General Register Office for England and Wales which is
situated in Southport.

For general information phone +44 (0)870 243 77 88.

You can read information about fees

What information you will need

When you apply by post, telephone or fax please send as much information as possible.
The fuller the information you supply the easier it will be for staff to produce your
certificate. If possible give full names of the person whose certificate you wish to
trace, an exact a date as possible, and the place where the event took place. Any
other information you can supply will also be of help. Please also send the
appropriate fee.

By post:

You can apply in writing to:

General Register Office PO Box 2 Southport Merseyside PR8 2JD

For Overseas events please apply to:

Overseas Section General Register Office Trafalgar Road Southport Merseyside PR8 2HH

By telephone:

To order by telephone please ring +44 (0)870 243 77 88. You can apply by telephone if
you have a credit or debit card. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Solo, Delta or Switch.

By fax:

You can apply by fax. Please send your fax giving all the necessary information
including your credit or debit card number. The fax number is +44 (0)1704 550013.

Getting a certificate quickly:

If you need a certificate quickly, you can apply by telephone or by fax and ask for
the priority service. If you wish to apply by post please mark the envelope
'PRIORITY'. If you use this service we will post certificates to you the next working
day after receipt. You can get more information about this service on +44 (0)151 471
4572 or fax +44 (0)1704 568315.

Alternatively you can apply in person at the Family Records Centre or the local
office where the event was originally registered.

Please write URGENT on the envelope or fax message to ensure we can identify your
application as a priority.

Applying from abroad?

You can apply from abroad by writing to or telephoning GRO. The telephone number is
+44 (0)870 243 7788. Payment should be made by credit card or by an International
Money Order made out to ONS expressed in pounds Sterling with a UK clearing bank.

Can I get a copy of my marriage certificate if I am divorced?

Yes: the original marriage entry from which all certificates are issued will remain
unchanged. The divorce will be registered at the Divorce Registry in London. The
telephone number is +44 (0)20 7936 7080.

Hope it Helps!!! Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)

Jenney <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all!
    >
    > My fiance (UK) and I are preparing documentation for the I-129 petition, but I have
    > a question about something:
    >
    > While my fiance is never-married, I am divorced. Understandably I am required to
    > submit an official copy of the divorce decree from my first marriage. However, I
    > have seen on some sites that submitting an offical copy of my marriage certificate
    > (from same first marriage) is also required, or at least recommended.
    >
    > Any thoughts or input on this? Thanks in advance!
    >
    > ~ Jenney
    >
    > p.s. This is all new to us, so expect to see me around here quite often!!

Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:20 am
Cp

Just realised you hadn't said you didn't have it....lol...Well maybe you don't and
this will help you or another U.K.C. in the same position...

Cheers Sheila CP <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Jenney you will need a marriage certificate and a divorce decree. You
don't
    > need to send the originals but do have to send a certified copy of each. We
    > just had to
order
    > the marriage certificate for my fiance'(U.K.C.) I am visiting here till August and
    > did all the paper work for the fiance' visa from here so far.
    >
    > This may help you:
    >
    > By telephone: ( This is how we did it and used his switch card, we had no problems
    > at all. While we were at it we ordered a birth certificate and
they
    > both came in together about 2 weeks later. You do know that you need the long form
    > birth certificate, it has to have your parents names and info.
on
    > it. If you don't just tell that to the person you talk to and they will
know
    > what your talking about.) To order by telephone please ring +44 (0)870 243 77 88.
    > You can apply by telephone if you have a credit or debit card. We accept Visa,
    > Mastercard, Solo, Delta or Switch.
    >
    > How to apply for certificates by post, fax and telephone
    >
    > The original records of births, marriages and deaths are not open to the public,
    > but you can get copies of entries in the form of birth, marriage
and
    > death certificates. Costs vary according to what type of certificate you want, how
    > you apply and how urgently you need it. This section tells you about getting
    > certificates by post, telephone or fax from the General Register Office for England
    > and Wales which is situated in Southport.
    >
    > For general information phone +44 (0)870 243 77 88.
    >
    > You can read information about fees
    >
    > What information you will need
    >
    > When you apply by post, telephone or fax please send as much information
as
    > possible. The fuller the information you supply the easier it will be for staff to
    > produce your certificate. If possible give full names of the
person
    > whose certificate you wish to trace, an exact a date as possible, and the place
    > where the event took place. Any other information you can supply
will
    > also be of help. Please also send the appropriate fee.
    >
    > By post:
    >
    > You can apply in writing to:
    >
    > General Register Office PO Box 2 Southport Merseyside PR8 2JD
    >
    > For Overseas events please apply to:
    >
    > Overseas Section General Register Office Trafalgar Road Southport
    > Merseyside PR8 2HH
    >
    > By telephone:
    >
    > To order by telephone please ring +44 (0)870 243 77 88. You can apply by
    > telephone if you have a credit or debit card. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Solo,
    > Delta or Switch.
    >
    > By fax:
    >
    > You can apply by fax. Please send your fax giving all the necessary information
    > including your credit or debit card number. The fax number is +44 (0)1704 550013.
    >
    > Getting a certificate quickly:
    >
    > If you need a certificate quickly, you can apply by telephone or by fax
and
    > ask for the priority service. If you wish to apply by post please mark the envelope
    > 'PRIORITY'. If you use this service we will post certificates to you the next
    > working day after receipt. You can get more information about this service on +44
    > (0)151 471 4572 or fax +44 (0)1704 568315.
    >
    > Alternatively you can apply in person at the Family Records Centre or the local
    > office where the event was originally registered.
    >
    > Please write URGENT on the envelope or fax message to ensure we can
identify
    > your application as a priority.
    >
    > Applying from abroad?
    >
    > You can apply from abroad by writing to or telephoning GRO. The telephone number is
    > +44 (0)870 243 7788. Payment should be made by credit card or by an International
    > Money Order made out to ONS expressed in pounds Sterling with a UK clearing bank.
    >
    > Can I get a copy of my marriage certificate if I am divorced?
    >
    > Yes: the original marriage entry from which all certificates are issued
will
    > remain unchanged. The divorce will be registered at the Divorce Registry
in
    > London. The telephone number is +44 (0)20 7936 7080.
    >
    >
    > Hope it Helps!!! Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)
    >
    >
    > Jenney <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > My fiance (UK) and I are preparing documentation for the I-129 petition, but I
    > > have a question about something:
    > >
    > > While my fiance is never-married, I am divorced. Understandably I am required to
    > > submit an official copy of the divorce decree from my first marriage. However, I
    > > have seen on some sites that submitting an offical copy of my marriage
    > > certificate (from same first marriage) is also required, or at least recommended.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts or input on this? Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > ~ Jenney
    > >
    > > p.s. This is all new to us, so expect to see me around here quite often!!

Old Jul 12th 2002, 5:20 am
Maarten W.G. An

"Jenney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > My fiance (UK) and I are preparing documentation for the I-129 petition, but I have
    >
    > While my fiance is never-married, I am divorced. Understandably I am required to
    > submit an official copy of the divorce decree from my first marriage. However, I
    > have seen on some sites that submitting an offical copy of my marriage certificate

For as far as I know, the only thing you need to submit is proof of *termination* of
any previous marriages.... a divorce certificate should do just fine. It was enough
for my current wife to proof that her previous marriage had ended.

Maarten

Old Jul 12th 2002, 7:20 am
Mani

[email protected] (Jenney) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hello all!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ~ Jenney
    >
I do not think Marriage certificate from previous marriage is required, only the
divorce decree.

Just to expedite things, I would include a copy of it anyway, just in case if INS
have any questions, they can just look it up, instead of sending u a letter for
it later on.

It is every investigating Officer's(Well INS officials work as investigator) dream
come true, if all the information is provided to them and they do not have to wait
for stuff.

Thank you.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:20 pm
Cp

Sorry Jenny........I got mixed up......It is on the DS-156 that you have to have your
marriage certificate...the marriage certificate is only needed on the I-129f petition
if you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than that shown on the
relevant documents, you must give INS copies of the legal documents that made the
change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order...Now got that
straight...phewwww

Cheers Sheila Jenney <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ~ Jenney
    >

Old Jul 13th 2002, 6:20 am
Michele Sharik

Both my current husband (CAN) & myself (US) were previously married. Both of us
submitted divorce certs, but not marriage certs for those marriages. Brian just got
his Green Card on Tuesday.

HTH,

--
-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met in person June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10, 2001: submitted
I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17, 2001:
fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May 28,
2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1, 2002:
INS Medical Exam June 14, 2002: CPR Approved!! WOO-HOO! July 9, 2002: Temporary Green
Card arrived!

"Jenney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ~ Jenney
    >

Old Jul 13th 2002, 8:20 am
Cp

That's great that you didn't need them,but as I can see on the DS-156k for the
fiancé's part:

( This is what it says on the form) The following documents must be attached in order
to apply for a fiancée Non-immigrant Visa

Marriage Certificate(if any) Divorce Decree (if any)

And I assumed that having being married before Clive was to have it to bring with him
to the interview in London. They may not ask for it but if they do then he will have
it. I think this process takes long enough then going through everything and being
turned around for something as little as that, so we are just trying to have all our
chickens in there nest. Just my advise!

Cheers Sheila Jenney <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ~ Jenney
    >

Old Jul 13th 2002, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband was previously married but we didn't need any previous marriage cert....only a certified copy of the divorce decree. Mine is not a K1 visa so it may be slightly different. I think they only want to make sure that you are still not married to your ex-husband.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife (then fiance) submitted only her divorce certificate to the INS with the I 129f.

The didn't query it, that was at the Texas Service Centre
Old Jul 13th 2002, 9:20 pm
Bastian Freitag

When we filed for the I-129F we only submitted my fiancee's divorce decree and it was
fine with TSC.

Bastian

Old Jul 14th 2002, 2:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Cp
...the marriage certificate is only needed on the I-129f petition if you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents, you must give INS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order...
This is good to know.

Even though I'm divorced, I kept my married name (liked it better than my maiden name -- although I like my soon-to-be new surname even better! LOL). For all intents and purposes, I go by my married name -- SS card, passport, drivers license, etc. My birth certificate is (obviously) in my maiden name.

So I'm guessing that, for simplicity's sake, I should provide a copy of my passport with my I-129F, since that is in my legal name. If I were to provide a copy of my birth certificate, then I would need to ALSO include my marriage certificate, since that is an official record of my legal name change.

That's how I've interpreted the quoted statement above.

Thanks a lot for everyone's input. It's strange how the littlest things can cause so much confusion!!

~ Jenney