Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage and cannabis conviction?

Wikiposts

Marriage and cannabis conviction?

Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage and cannabis conviction?

Originally Posted by g1ant
What has the VWP got to do with Antigua?
Do you actually know where Antigua is?
Probably not, I was trying to work that one out as well. But you never know, GW may have invaded without me noticing.

Drugs = bad news for immigration. Drug trafficking making it pretty much impossible.

London is considered easier for a waiver, but first you need to know if it is waiverable. I do not know the answer. I would suggest that this is your first priority.

PS Years ago it used to be easy to get a B2, even if you could use the VWP, things have changed.

PPS The other site has recommended lawyers for waivers, at least check with them whether it is worth a go. A one off consultation will be relatively cheap.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 1st 2008 at 5:53 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluesails
If the conviction is for any drug related crime other than one incident of simple possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana, under current law you would be declared inadmissible under 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) and as incredibly draconian and unforgiving as it is, there is currently no waiver available for an Immigrant Visa, ever.
Did you read the OP's post? He wasn't convicted for possession... he was convicted for cultivation. How much? We don't know... and I doubt he does either. Most people don't grow weed for their own use (although, to be fair, maybe this guy did)... but USCIS is likely to view this as an attempt at trafficking - and that's bad news for the guy.

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigua

Sorry, didn't realize someone wouldn't need either a visa or travel on the VWP to go there. I thought it was just an island that one would need a visa to go visit. Evidently I was wrong.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigua

Sorry, didn't realize someone wouldn't need either a visa or travel on the VWP to go there. I thought it was just an island that one would need a visa to go visit. Evidently I was wrong.

Rene
I think the OP was assuming he'd need to change planes in the US. If so, I believe there are alternatives.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is not any waiver possible for drug convictions. So I am very suspicious of the attorney who says there is.

Again, as others have said, if it's the low amount... maybe.....

Doesn't sound very likely to me I'm afraid.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:05 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

If you were convicted of possession under 30 grams it is possible to file and be approved for waiver I-601. Lengthy, extra $ but it can be done

However in my case it was over 20 yrs ago (a plus) and only 2 grams(also a plus) Getting busted the first time? Stupid

Your case sounds different. Start learning all you can. A lot of lawyers only skim the surface and aren't that much help to begin with where waivers are concerned. YOU are the one who will benefit from info so start reading now
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Marriage and cannabis conviction?

In this country, ICE takes a dim view of such activity. If this happened here, you could be charged with growing a Schedule II drug, or simple possession, or possession with intent to distribute a Schedule II drug, or all three. Those who have said in earlier threads that you will have a difficult time are probably correct.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered that myself, not where it is, I've been there, just that the issue would be what Antiguan laws are in regards to his crime, doesn't matter about US laws..
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I wondered that myself, not where it is, I've been there, just that the issue would be what Antiguan laws are in regards to his crime, doesn't matter about US laws..
BA flies London to Antigua.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

md,

I believe that John Lennon was in a somewhat similar situation, and had a heck of a time immigrating to the USA. Do you have similar celebrity status that could help you overcome the problem?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by mystical dude
..... Has anybody been in this situation before and does anybody have any advice, as in what order to apply for various visas?
Much appreciated for any advice offered.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mystical dude
Hello Everybody,
I have just discovered this site and this is my first post.
I am a Uk citizen and I am planning on getting married to my American girlfriend next month. We met in march 2008 and she has been over to visit me 3 times in the UK since then and last time I proposed.
She very much wants me to come and live with her in Tennessee, the only problem is I have a cannabis cultivation conviction from June 2004 for which I received a conditional discharge and a £42 fine(I served no time and since then I haven't touched the stuff), and I think this is going to cause me problems getting into the states, even though we will be married from next month.
We have booked tickets to the carribean and will be getting married in Antigua at the beginning of december. Has anybody been in this situation before and does anybody have any advice, as in what order to apply for various visas?
Much appreciated for any advice offered.
Hi:

Based upon your description of the conviction, I believe you will have to change your plans on where to reside -- Tennessee is in the United States and the US immigration laws prohibit that.

If you had committed a "crime involving moral turpitude" -- something like murder, there would have been a possible waiver.

However, you didn't do a garden variety common law crime -- you committed a drug offense.

That said, you may want to have your conviction documents examined by a lawyer in the UK who knows both UK criminal law and US immigration law -- there is a waiver for possession of less that 30 grams of marijuana. There may a chance that you don't understand precisely what you were convicted of -- and there is a large body of US law on how to determine the nature of a conviction and that body of law is quite complicated.