Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Wikiposts

Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
An Assurance of Support is a legal commitment by a person (not necessarily the sponsor) to repay to the Australian Government certain welfare payments paid to migrants during their respective Assurance of Support period.

Respective Assurance of Support periods are:

- 10 years for Contributory Parent visa holders or
- 2 years for all other visa types where an Assurance of Support is needed.
The Assurance of Support scheme enables welfare costs for these migrants to be met by an Australian permanent resident or citizen, rather than the Australian community

So basically this guy IS liable for two years from date she entered OZ AND she can go to centrelink to claim welfare. He will be made to reimburse the federal government.
Assurance of Support is not mandatory on a spouse visa.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

DIMIA mentions on their website that if a spouse of an Australian citizen comes to OZ, and the relationship breaksdown before they are granted PR, that there is provision for these circumstances. DIMIA take very seriously the responsibilities of the guarantor and legal action against him, if he tries to evade them is possible, even likely.
DIAC will not take legal action against the sponsor. But he may have family law legal obligations.

A breakdown of a relationship does not automatically end the temp visa holders rights to reside in OZ at all as far as I understand.
It does, unless one falls into a number of defined exceptions.

She may not have the finances to go to a migration agent. A community legal centre is free or nominal fee.
Migration advice is available on a pro bono basis through community groups like IARC and the South Brisbane Legal Centre.

Also I don't think she should be afraid to contact DIMIA direct, though she might first want to see the community legal advice people or a citizens advice bureau and ask how to approach DIMIA about this.
It is absolutely essential that she is aware of her position and options under migration law before she approaches DIAC.

Do not rely on DIAC knowing the law or even being helpful.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:30 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your difficult circumstances.

On NO ACCOUNT leave. Unless of course, you or your daughter are in immediate physical danger. And I do appreciate that its easy for me to say that.

DO NOT believe him to be the nice guy he once was. You're being treated like sh1t and so is your daughter. Making your life so difficult and denying you basic 'female' needs is abhorrent. Personally, I'd like to knock his lights out for that alone!

The very best of luck to you and your daughter.
xx
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:34 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I second what Alan says. And when choosing an adviser, it is essential to go to one who thoroughly understands both the domestic violence provisions (not a simple area, psychological abuse can also count) and the process of appealing to the Minister under section 351 of the Act.

An agent or lawyer not experienced in these areas will not be able to help much.
The OP came on a prospective visa (class 300) which gave her 9 months to enter OZ and marry, and apply for the spouse visa. The DIMIA website (in particular the notice of change in circumstances form 1022) states that she is obliged to inform DIMIA ONLY IF she has not received her visa. In other words if it is still being processed or an application for it has not been made. This site also indicates that once the spouse visa has been granted, PR status has at such time been conferred.

Of course, my english skills may be worn or it could to some seem ambiguous, but it seemed pretty clear to me.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 8th 2007 at 8:36 am.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
well I'm sure all those of us that have spent two years struggling under the impression that we were temporary residents and had to report relationship breakdowns are a little confused to read that. Especially the three posters that I'm aware of who have had relationships breakdown within two years and have had a real struggle to stay. Maybe the rules have changed - I'll bow out of the thread and leave it to you.
Well it does seem there is opinion that would counter what I posted. I did some digging around on the DIMIA site and just posted what I had found. Perhaps this is an interpretational thing, or others who found it to be different in the past. My conclusions came from what I read on their site. If I am wrong then clearly DIMIA need to clarify their position, but it seemed reasonably straightforward once I found the 'right' pages/forms.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:44 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Sorry to hear of your difficult circumstances.

On NO ACCOUNT leave. Unless of course, you or your daughter are in immediate physical danger. And I do appreciate that its easy for me to say that.

DO NOT believe him to be the nice guy he once was. You're being treated like sh1t and so is your daughter. Making your life so difficult and denying you basic 'female' needs is abhorrent. Personally, I'd like to knock his lights out for that alone!

The very best of luck to you and your daughter.
xx
Hi Poppy,

You're in a very vulnerable situation and although you've already had mountains of advice, I think that you ought to make contact with the following:

RAILS - community immigration advice service in Queensland - see http://www.rails.org.au/ .

A good women's refuge with experience in migration issues - wouldn't be hard to find, since we have at least one pro bono DV case on the books at any one time and I understand that generally most refuges would have a number of trusted agents they'd deal with. The one we work with mostly won't let men on the premises or advise their location to DIAC, which is a bit tricky sometimes. You might not want to go there yet but you do need to know where you'll go if things get difficult.

Finally, if you or your daughter have experienced any violence or threatened violence at the hands of this man, it needs to be carefully documented.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:50 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

The OP came on a prospective visa (class 300) which gave her 9 months to enter OZ and marry, and apply for the spouse visa. The DIMIA website (in particular the notice of change in circumstances form 1022) states that she is obliged to inform DIMIA ONLY IF she has not received her visa. In other words if it is still being processed or an application for it has not been made. This site also indicates that once the spouse visa has been granted, PR status has at such time been conferred.

Of course, my english skills may be worn or it could to some seem ambiguous, but it seemed pretty clear to me.
Dear KW,

Actually the obligation to inform DIAC arises out of the fact that when you apply for a provisional spouse visa you also apply for the permanent visa - it's the permanent application which is the problem.

And what you've posted is excellent research but this stuff is really incredibly complex, even when it ought to be simple. Imagine trying to explain all of this to a mail order bride with no English and no education and bruises all over her body.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:22 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear KW,

Actually the obligation to inform DIAC arises out of the fact that when you apply for a provisional spouse visa you also apply for the permanent visa - it's the permanent application which is the problem.

And what you've posted is excellent research but this stuff is really incredibly complex, even when it ought to be simple. Imagine trying to explain all of this to a mail order bride with no English and no education and bruises all over her body.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks for that George. It certainly does seem complex then, infact misleading might be an even more accurate description. The form I referred to earlier is worded in such a way as to convey that once the spouse visa has been issued, that's that. It really did seem very black and white.

Lucky BE (and the OP of course) have someone with your background and training taking an interest in these matters.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

George and Jeremy have responded more fully. Remember that there is more to migration law than that which appears on the Department of Immigration website.

Best regards.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear KW,

Imagine trying to explain all of this to a mail order bride with no English and no education and bruises all over her body.
That's heart breakingly sad.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:37 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Remember that there is more to migration law than that which appears on the Department of Immigration website.
Yes, that would seem to be the case Alan.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:22 am
Just Joined

poppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant future

Thanks to everyone for your messages and info. It's given me a real boost of energy when I most needed it, and helped me clear my head and focus on what I've needed to do, so thank you all.

Getting out of the situation my daughter and I were living in was the top priority and is soon to happen as he's moving out. I had a call inviting me to a job interview on Thursday morning too.

It's just a shame that this is all so complicated, moreso for non english speaking people..

George, thank you, you do a great job in helping people and I really appreciate your advice, as I do from everyone who's offered it. RAILS is one of the places I'm in touch with.

I'll keep you posted.

Hugs to you all, thank you.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1967
Thanks to everyone for your messages and info. It's given me a real boost of energy when I most needed it, and helped me clear my head and focus on what I've needed to do, so thank you all.

Getting out of the situation my daughter and I were living in was the top priority and is soon to happen as he's moving out. I had a call inviting me to a job interview on Thursday morning too.

It's just a shame that this is all so complicated, moreso for non english speaking people..

George, thank you, you do a great job in helping people and I really appreciate your advice, as I do from everyone who's offered it. RAILS is one of the places I'm in touch with.

I'll keep you posted.

That is good news. Looks like you may have turned the corner. Good luck for Thurday.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1967

I'll keep you posted.

fingers crossed for thursday xxx