Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Wikiposts

Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:35 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage breakup and returning to Uk

Hi Poppy - just wanted to say that I do hope you manage to get things sorted out so that you can stay if you want to. It would be one less thing to worry about as it is difficult moving across the world with a partner, let alone when you are on your own. At least you have your daughter to keep you going and to help you get through this.

Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about a rock and a hard place. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck sorting things out. Would echo JAJ's advice about posting in the immigration section of this site - lots of very knowledgeable folks in there.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:10 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not move out or doing anything until getting legal advice...easy to say not easy to do...but you could lose rights to a home and money if you move out...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:02 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1967
I came on a prospective spouse visa which meant daughter and I could stay til we married then i applied for spouse visa which is temporary for 2 years and then would have had to apply for permanent visa next May. So even though he signed a statement to say he'd support us for 2 years, he says that the relationship being over cancels that out.
The relationship being over DOES NOT change his obligation of support as far as I know. This sounds like a ploy on his part so you won't kick up a stink and he can evade a financial liability, which he entered into an agreement with the Australian government.

I know there is info/advice on DIMIA website about this kind of situation. Also it does not force you out of the country, and you may well be entitled to centrelink payments as well.

Check out: www.dimia.gov.au

www.centrelink.gov.au

And also find out where your local community legal advice centre is. You can get cheap legal advice at them. As your husband he cannot just force you out of the home. You may actually even be able to have him removed by court order. Also DO NOT hesitate to contact immigration and the Family Court ASAP.

Good luck,

Christina

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 5th 2007 at 8:09 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:47 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have Women's Transition/Refuge organizations in Aus? It is just that the OP stating that she has to ask for money for sanitary products really p***ed me off. There are sometimes advocates who can advise of her rights for free within some of these organizations.

Try these people too:

http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Women...+Legal+Aid.htm
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1967
I've just joined this forum in the hope of getting some help/advice.

My daughter and I moved from uk to aus 18 months ago on a prospective fiance visa, hubby and I married in May last year and this morning he drops a bombshell that he has another "interest" and wants my teenage daughter and me out asap. The relationship has been up and down since the beginning but I never dreamed it'd come to this...

To say I'm shell shocked is the understatement of the decade and I have no idea where to go or what to do. He's said he will be contacting the immigration people to tell them the relationship is over and they will deport my daughter and I. What happens then? I don't have the finances to pay for return flights and he sure isn't willing to contribute. Or will immigration just bundle us on a plane and dump us at Heathrow?

I have no family anywhere for support and the friends I had before coming have moved on, so I really need some advice from anyone who can point me in the right direction please.

I'm trying to get my head together enough to think about practical matters.. I've been working full time but wages have gone on rent, food and travel to and from work so haven't saved (which in hindsight was stupid of me)..

Both my daughter and I were born in England and lived there all our lives til coming here..

Any suggestions/advice greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Poppy
Im so sorry to hear about your awful situation. I cant believe your hubs is treating you so bad

My situation isnt quite the same but i too married last may & had same visa as you!

I have just left my hubs in Oz due to hating the country really badly. He is now shacked up with an 18 yr old & im back here

I cant offer any practical advice but i do truly hope you get something sorted soon

I wish you all the best! xx
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the first two years of the Spouse visa in Aus is usually on a temporary visa. The permanent visa is granted after two years if the rel'ship is ongoing - its designed to stop people marrying just to get a visa. There are exceptions but they don't seem to apply here.
If he was the natural father then Poppy would have more chance of remaining in Australia, as it is, without a domestic violence case then if the rel'ship ends the visa is virtually cancelled. He only has to support her while they are together, and strictly speaking if they aren't together she has to go home, with her daughter.
Talking to an agent is her best bit in case they can come up with a loophole that at least allows her to stay until she can get home.

I don't mean any of this to sound cold, just trying to outline the spouse visa system for people outside of Australia.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

There could possibly be domestic violence going on in your relationship, having to ask for money to buy feminine products rings a warning bell. Ring the Domestic Violence information line, dont know your local number, but a couple of internet links are:-

[email protected]
www.domesticviolence.com.au

It doesnt have to be physical violence, it can be intimidation, harrassment etc.

My advice is to stay put, no-one can force you out of the house, your name doesnt even have to be on the lease. It is your home and you live there. Only a court order from a magistrate can do that, and I dont see any grounds for that from what you have told us.

If your partner becomes aggressive towards you because you refuse to leave, then phone for the police immediately. ( I do hope that it wont come to that though)

The ladies at the domestic violence service will offer free counselling and support if you fit into that category, if not I am sure that they can point you in the right direction for professional help.

I feel so sorry for you, and I am glad that people on here are reaching out to help you. There are some lovely people around
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately the first two years of the Spouse visa in Aus is usually on a temporary visa. The permanent visa is granted after two years if the rel'ship is ongoing - its designed to stop people marrying just to get a visa. There are exceptions but they don't seem to apply here.
If he was the natural father then Poppy would have more chance of remaining in Australia, as it is, without a domestic violence case then if the rel'ship ends the visa is virtually cancelled. He only has to support her while they are together, and strictly speaking if they aren't together she has to go home, with her daughter.
Talking to an agent is her best bit in case they can come up with a loophole that at least allows her to stay until she can get home.

I don't mean any of this to sound cold, just trying to outline the spouse visa system for people outside of Australia.
DIMIA mentions on their website that if a spouse of an Australian citizen comes to OZ, and the relationship breaksdown before they are granted PR, that there is provision for these circumstances. DIMIA take very seriously the responsibilities of the guarantor and legal action against him, if he tries to evade them is possible, even likely.

A breakdown of a relationship does not automatically end the temp visa holders rights to reside in OZ at all as far as I understand.

She may not have the finances to go to a migration agent. A community legal centre is free or nominal fee. Also I don't think she should be afraid to contact DIMIA direct, though she might first want to see the community legal advice people or a citizens advice bureau and ask how to approach DIMIA about this.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 7th 2007 at 7:20 am.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
DIMIA mentions on their website that if a spouse of an Australian citizen comes to OZ, and the relationship breaksdown before they are granted PR, that there is provision for these circumstances. DIMIA take very seriously the responsibilities of the guarantor and legal action against him, if he tries to evade them is possible, even likely.

A breakdown of a relationship does not automatically end the temp visa holders rights to reside in OZ at all as far as I understand.
I'm sure the OP will be glad to hear that...thank you kiwi_child.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:45 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm sure the OP will be glad to hear that...thank you kiwi_child.
Okay an update: If the OP has already applied for and received a spouse visa after marrying the guy, then she does not need to tell DIMIA anything and will have PR status.

If she has not yet applied for and received a spouse visa she will need to notify them of the breakdown of the marriage and fill in this form:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1022.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...-applicant.htm

Sponsors obligations:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...ns-sponsor.htm

If your fiancé(e) is granted this visa, as sponsor you are responsible for all financial obligations to the Australian Government that your partner might incur in Australia.

You must immediately notify the department if your relationship with your fiancé(e) breaks down, or if you withdraw your support for your fiancé(e) before their application is finalised
(She isn't his fiance though, she is his wife!)

Assurance of Support:
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/34aos.htm

An Assurance of Support is a legal commitment by a person (not necessarily the sponsor) to repay to the Australian Government certain welfare payments paid to migrants during their respective Assurance of Support period.

Respective Assurance of Support periods are:

- 10 years for Contributory Parent visa holders or
- 2 years for all other visa types where an Assurance of Support is needed.
The Assurance of Support scheme enables welfare costs for these migrants to be met by an Australian permanent resident or citizen, rather than the Australian community

So basically this guy IS liable for two years from date she entered OZ AND she can go to centrelink to claim welfare. He will be made to reimburse the federal government.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 7th 2007 at 9:08 am.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Okay an update: If the OP has already applied for and received a spouse visa after marrying the guy, then she does not need to tell DIMIA anything and will have PR status.

If she has not yet applied for and received a spouse visa she will need to notify them of the breakdown of the marriage and fill in this form:...........
well I'm sure all those of us that have spent two years struggling under the impression that we were temporary residents and had to report relationship breakdowns are a little confused to read that. Especially the three posters that I'm aware of who have had relationships breakdown within two years and have had a real struggle to stay. Maybe the rules have changed - I'll bow out of the thread and leave it to you.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:49 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>
Not correct I'm afraid if the OP has been granted a provisional spouse visa (as is usually the case when an application is made for the grant of a spouse visa after being married in Australia as the holder of a prospective marriage visa).

I recommend that the OP takes professional advice as a matter of urgency.

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

poppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant futurepoppy1967 has a brilliant future
Default Thanks all...

Thanks for your good wishes Hutch and LouseD. I like your "never regret" saying too. Can't say I've repeated it 50 times as yet, but is a good thing to remember!

Thanks krizzy, I'm in the process of getting advice from a number of sources at the moment, including Legal Aid Queensland. I appreciated your link dingbat, thanks for that.

megansmummy, yours was the first thread I read on here, and although I'm sorry to hear about what you went through, I'm glad to hear you're now in a happier space. Hopefully I'll be joining you there soon Some lessons are harder to learn than others, but all are good, even if it doesn't seem that way at the time.

You're absolutely right auspal, there really are some lovely people around. You've all renewed my faith in human nature, helping a stranger as you have. It's been great. I checked out your link and it was very helpful and confirmed some things I hadn't found elsewhere, thanks.

I'll be having a long chat with someone from RAILS (Refugee and Immigrants Legal Service) in the morning, as to my visa situation, and yes Alan, I was granted a temporary spouse visa in July of last year, and I'm getting advice from a number of different sources suggested by folk on here.

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Not correct I'm afraid if the OP has been granted a provisional spouse visa (as is usually the case when an application is made for the grant of a spouse visa after being married in Australia as the holder of a prospective marriage visa).

I recommend that the OP takes professional advice as a matter of urgency.
I second what Alan says. And when choosing an adviser, it is essential to go to one who thoroughly understands both the domestic violence provisions (not a simple area, psychological abuse can also count) and the process of appealing to the Minister under section 351 of the Act.

An agent or lawyer not experienced in these areas will not be able to help much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.