Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage based visa interview review

Marriage based visa interview review

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

annalicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage based visa interview review

We had our interview this morning. As everyone seems to like reviews of these, here goes:

Our appointment was at 9 am this morning. We stayed the night before in Slough at the Premier Inn, which I highly recommend for families.

There are trains every 10 minutes into London Paddington, £12 for 2 return tickets anytime return. We left the car at the station for a cost of £7 all day ticket. We caught the 6.50 am train, which was absolutely ram packed. We managed to stand by the door in a small space with my husband holding our 2 year old daughter and I held the folded up buggy.

We decided against the tube and took a £8.20 taxi ride to the embassy. We left our phones at keys at Gould's Pharmacy at #37 N. Audley Street about a block a way for £3.

Got into the security cue (the one on the left, the right one is for American citizens) at 8 am. Saw a few people try to jump the cue and get told off by the man with the gun. Showed our interview letter and passports to the first man, who luckily had my name and daughter's name down also. We had sent in a letter 3 weeks ago asking if we could also attend my husband's interview.

The room has 280 chairs (I counted) and is like an old DMV office. After 15 minutes we were called to the window to hand over our paperwork. She checked everything was there and sent us to pay our fees.

Now this is important. YOU HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER SET OF FEES. We paid the $240 for the original application. But we had to pay another $240 today. I was confused by the visa fees chart and followed some very bad advice that is repeated several times on this forum. You have to make 3 payments in all - application, visa, and courier. THREE PAYMENTS. At the cashier's window my NatWest card was declined, which is common as natwest considers these charges in dollars risk of being fradulent and this then froze my bank card. Luckilly my husband's bank card worked but took all the money in his account, as mine is the main household account.

We then waited 40 mintes for the interview. We were asked why we're moving to America, what my Mom does for work, when are we planning on moving. He then approved the visa.

We went to the courier's desk to pay the fee. Could I pay? NO! My card was frozen! My husband's card worked, but this will go over his overdraft and now incur us charges. We will have the visa in 10 days.

We were back in Bristol by 1.30 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage based visa interview review

Originally Posted by annalicious
Now this is important. YOU HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER SET OF FEES. We paid the $240 for the original application. But we had to pay another $240 today. I was confused by the visa fees chart and followed some very bad advice that is repeated several times on this forum. You have to make 3 payments in all - application, visa, and courier. THREE PAYMENTS.
Congratulations!

Some of the confusion might have come from the fact that the fees are paid out differently depending on where the I-130 is filed.

If the I-130 is filed directly to London, it goes like this: Pay the I-130 fee when you submit the I-130. Pay the visa fee and courier fee at the time of the interview.

If the I-130 is filed in the USA, it goes like this: Pay the I-130 fee when you submit the I-130. Pay the visa fee when NVC requests it. Pay only the courier fee at the time of the interview.

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

When I immigrated here, I paid one fee for my fiancee visa, online with a credit card. That was handy. I also only filled out one form, all online. It was approved electronically and took me about 2 hours to do. All through the Home Office. It took 45 days from beginning to end. Moving back has been a nightmare of forms in comparison!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When I immigrated here, I paid one fee for my fiancee visa, online with a credit card. That was handy. I also only filled out one form, all online. It was approved electronically and took me about 2 hours to do. All through the Home Office. It took 45 days from beginning to end. Moving back has been a nightmare of forms in comparison!!!
Yep. Different country, different methods.

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

This requires some furthe explanation on your part, as it's a bit confusing:
- there is a petition processing fee of $420, which would have been paid some time ago when the petition was processed.
- there is an immigrant visa application processing fee of $230
- there is the courier fee of how much?

What is the "very bad advice that is repeated several times on this forum." ?

Regards, JEff

Now this is important. YOU HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER SET OF FEES. We paid the $240 for the original application. But we had to pay another $240 today. I was confused by the visa fees chart and followed some very bad advice that is repeated several times on this forum. You have to make 3 payments in all - application, visa, and courier. THREE PAYMENTS.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

I forgot one other bit. My husband has Type 1 Diabetes and MS. He was allowed to take his insulin and needles with no problem through security. He was also asked no questions about this in the interview.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:24 pm

I notice in your fist post, you say "we" and "our". But really it's "he" and "his", since your husband is the immigrant, correct?

I know you were there with him, but the visa interview was really only his.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:59 am
Banned

alisdiar is an unknown quantity at this point

Visa interview is both for husband and wife. Yes!! Every country has its own method . May be interview appointment is final step.The interviews are taken to confirm the contents of your application after you have sworn to tell the truth.It can be conducted in many ways.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alisdiar
Visa interview is both for husband and wife.
No, it isn't.

Every country has its own method .
Every US Consulate must still abide by US law... and the interview is only for the non-US citizen.

May be interview appointment is final step.The interviews are taken to confirm the contents of your application after you have sworn to tell the truth.It can be conducted in many ways.
Yes, the interviews can be conducted in many ways, but the interview is only for the non-USC spouse.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - the interview is not for both husband and wife.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, it isn't.
Originally Posted by alisdiar
Visa interview is both for husband and wife.
Which is not to say that the USC, if present, might not be asked a few questions (in particular if there are any questions about the affidavit of support package).
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, the interviews can be conducted in many ways, but the interview is only for the non-USC spouse.
Regards, JEff
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

On this topic, if my wife is the UKC and we are applying for her IR visa and the IR visas of my 5 yr old and 1 yr old children, is it correct that JUST my wife can attend the interview on behalf of herself and the two kids? In other words I (sponsor and USC spouse) do not have to attend and neither do the two kids?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ryanayr
On this topic, if my wife is the UKC and we are applying for her IR visa and the IR visas of my 5 yr old and 1 yr old children, is it correct that JUST my wife can attend the interview on behalf of herself and the two kids? In other words I (sponsor and USC spouse) do not have to attend and neither do the two kids?
I believe the kids need to attend the interview. They will all be getting separate visas, so all need to appear in person.

Only USC's do not need to attend the visa interview (since they aren't getting a visa). Anyone who is getting a visa needs to attend the interview in person.

Rene
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

Glad you clarified that one! Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:03 pm

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...interview.html

Seems perfectly clear to me - what needed clarification?

Regards, JEff
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...interview.html

Seems perfectly clear to me - what needed clarification?

Regards, JEff
Thanks for the link, JEff. Seems I was wrong in this case.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.