Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Wikiposts

Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Not everyone from the UK and Canada is white. For all you know, Rete's husband is Hispanic and Ian's black.

~ Jenney
Actually, it seems the OP is also "white", as Indians from India are considered "caucasian", which is also "white".
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimgreener
I have been to USCIS office several times in the past.Not once was I treated with dignity. They treat you like you are some kind of a criminal.
This is your own experience, at your own USCIS office. You can't generalize this to all people from India, nor all USCIS offices.

I however have to say this. That is not country specific but I have seen white people getting different treatment.
I've also seen people of other colors getting different treatment.

Ironically I heard Canadian immigration officers are very polite and professional and well mannered.
Why is that ironic?

If you are telling me the US immigration officers treat people with respect then you are making my point.
Yes, I am telling you that in my own experience, the US immigration officers my Iranian husband and I have run across in the past 5 years have been polite and respectful. If that is making your point, then I agree with that. I thought your point was something else.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, how did I forget this? If you think whites are treated with respect by USCIS employees, you are very wrong. My husband filed a complaint against a USCIS employee with the internal unit in Washington, DC for the treatment he received at the hands of one of the NYC personnel.

As for Canadian immigration officials, I have crossed the border with my husband to visit relatives many times. More often than not, we have been treated with disrespect by the agent at the drive thru border control booth. And this is one Canadian to another.

This is my last response to this poster.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimgreener
I am originally from India and hence expect IO not to be too nice.
I think this is your whole problem... you are expecting problems before you even walk in the door. No matter what is said to you, you interpret it as discriminatory... even if it isn't.

You expect poor treatment... so when you *believe* it happens, it further convinces you of some great conspiracy. What would it take, I wonder, for you to *not* believe you are being discriminated against? I suspect that the only logical response would be *superior* treatment... something which others don't receive, but you expect.

Since you see discrimination in every encounter... you also interpret what we say in this forum as discriminatory. Frankly, that's your problem and not ours. I truly feel sorry for you.

Ian