Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Wikiposts

Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice
Default Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Lately I have seen a couple of people who recently went to NYC on marriage based N400 interview and were asked to produce more documents.
Some people are concluding that no matter what docs you take NYC will call be back for second interview.
I want to know if that is the case. Personally I am planning to take following docs:
Joint Mortgage
My wife's Life Insurance showing me as beneficiary
My Life insurance from work showing my wife as beneficiary
Joint All State car insurance
Marriage Certificate
3 years of Tax (Joint filing) transcripts
My son's birth certificate
Letter from Insurance company to confirm that my wife, me and my son are have same health insurance for last 3 years
Joint bank account ( letter from bank plus printouts)

Some letters that we have received at our joint address.
My wife's paystub showing same address as on my paystubs.

If I am being asked to produce anything else, I don't have any other proof.

Please share your experience

My interview is next week.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage based N400 in NYC: Please share Experiences

Originally Posted by jimgreener
I want to know if that is the case.
Yes, and no. Some people are asked for more info, others aren't. Does that mean you will? No one can answer that.

I don't have any other proof.
In that case, there's no point in worrying about it. You can't give them what you don't have.

Ian
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you are more ready for removing conditions and/or going for your green card rather than naturalization. We brought all of the evidence we had with us but hubby was never asked for any of it.

Bring all that you list. Honestly, I don't recall that others using NYC were placed on hold for more information. Normally if someone is, it is because of a security document that is needed, i.e. DUI charge, criminal history, not registering at the appropriate time for the selective service.

After your interview if you are told you will receive a letter in the mail, ask if you can wait for the letter to be generated which is normally done about 11:30-12:30.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Looks like you are more ready for removing conditions and/or going for your green card rather than naturalization. We brought all of the evidence we had with us but hubby was never asked for any of it.

Bring all that you list. Honestly, I don't recall that others using NYC were placed on hold for more information. Normally if someone is, it is because of a security document that is needed, i.e. DUI charge, criminal history, not registering at the appropriate time for the selective service.

After your interview if you are told you will receive a letter in the mail, ask if you can wait for the letter to be generated which is normally done about 11:30-12:30.
Rete
When (what year and month) was your interview and was it in NYC and was it N400?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete
When (what year and month) was your interview and was it in NYC and was it N400?

Was my husband's N-400 and it was December 2003. Nothing has changed since that time. On the forum every night and day since 1987.

Yes, it was NYC (Fed Plaza with ceremony at the Federal Court Building on Foley Street) which is why I answered your post.

BTW we included that information with the original N-400 petition.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Was my husband's N-400 and it was December 2003. Nothing has changed since that time. On the forum every night and day since 1987.

Yes, it was NYC (Fed Plaza with ceremony at the Federal Court Building on Foley Street) which is why I answered your post.

BTW we included that information with the original N-400 petition.

Ok .Now I understand . You included everything in N400 petition. I definitely think i have a lot of documents. I hope that is enough for the interview.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Ok .Now I understand . You included everything in N400 petition. I definitely think i have a lot of documents. I hope that is enough for the interview.

As I said DH was not asked for anything but he had it all with him in case it was asked for.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

As I said DH was not asked for anything but he had it all with him in case it was asked for.
Also, since you probably are from UK the IO did not ask too many questions. I am originally from India and hence expect IO not to be too nice.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:18 am
Concierge

Also, since you probably are from UK the IO did not ask too many questions. I am originally from India and hence expect IO not to be too nice.

Actually I'm a USC and my DH is the foreigner -- Canadian.

Why would an Indian be asked more questions? Were you shown signs of discrimination at your adjustment of status interview? NYC has a very high Indian population and I think the problem is on your side of the table and not the side of the USCIS.

If an AO is not nice, they are not nice to everyone.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Actually I'm a USC and my DH is the foreigner -- Canadian.

Why would an Indian be asked more questions? Were you shown signs of discrimination at your adjustment of status interview? NYC has a very high Indian population and I think the problem is on your side of the table and not the side of the USCIS.

If an AO is not nice, they are not nice to everyone.
hahaha Canadian? That hardly qualifies for a foreigner. Now that explains all the fair treatment you received from AO.
Try to go for an interview being an Indian.
I got married to my wife in 1999 and she was not even USC at that time. She was on GC and I was on H1-B. She became citizen in 2002. I applied in 2002 and got my GC in 2005(May 10 2005) and applied for citizenship in Mar 10 2008.We have a 5 yr old and that is still not enough for proving the legitimacy of my marriage.
I have to gather all the documents. My electricity bill is on my name only.
I have joint mortgage, joint insurance and on and on...
And I am still worried because I am from India -a third world country. We get treated by AOs like we are dumb and stupid

I am not complaining. Its just the way AOs treat us. If I meet the same officer on the street or in a mall he/she will be very nice to me but it is something in the position that makes them act that way.
But its ok. That is life.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha Canadian? That hardly qualifies for a foreigner. Now that explains all the fair treatment you received from AO.
Try to go for an interview being an Indian.
I disagree. To USCIS, Canadians are just as foreign as Indians, Pakistanis, Iranians, or anyone from any other country.

I got married to my wife in 1999 and she was not even USC at that time. She was on GC and I was on H1-B. She became citizen in 2002. I applied in 2002 and got my GC in 2005(May 10 2005) and applied for citizenship in Mar 10 2008.
So you successfully navigated all the immigration steps without a problem....so far your case sounds normal to me.

We have a 5 yr old and that is still not enough for proving the legitimacy of my marriage.
On what grounds do you say this? Who said it still isn't enough? You received your 10-year green card. Obviously USCIS thinks your marriage is legitimate. If they did not, you wouldn't have a green card right now.

I have to gather all the documents. My electricity bill is on my name only.
I have joint mortgage, joint insurance and on and on...
Yes, you have to gather all of these. So did we. So did everyone who applied for citizenship. Actually, you've gathered them already since you sent in the N-400 already. Now you just have to bring a few updated things to the interview. So did everyone else.

And I am still worried because I am from India -a third world country. We get treated by AOs like we are dumb and stupid
That might have been how you were treated, but I know Indians who were treated very nicely by USCIS.

I am not complaining.
I disagree.

Best wishes for your successful interview next week. Along with your required documents, try to gather a positive attitude. That will probably be more helpful than any paper document.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That hardly qualifies for a foreigner.
I'm also Canadian... and I find your comment offensive. USCIS officers made it quite clear to me 10 years ago, that I was a foreigner. In fact, one officer said... and I quote, "I don't care what foreign country you come from."

I am not complaining.
Yes, you are.

But its ok.
You say that, but you're lying. It's not okay, and if you truly feel that you are the target of discriminatory practices, you need to address the problem with the officer's supervisor.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Wishing you the best with your naturalization interview. However, I have to say you seem to carry a lot of baggage around. I don't see anything in your post that says you were discriminated against by the USCIS or one of their adjudicating agents. We applied for AOS in October 1998 and weren't adjudicated in NYC until June 2000. So no difference there. We also had to provide loads of evidence for the interview and we waited 18 months for the removal of conditons. While my husband is Canadian, you have no way of knowing if he also is an Indian with dual citizenship or African or Jamaican. If you run across prejudice, it might well only be a prejudice perceived by yourself and not actual discrimination or prejudical treatment.

All the document you have to gather is the very same we had to show. Tax returns, drivers's licenses, insurance beneficiaries, joint bank accounts, cards and letters from family and friends, letters of employers, etc. You are completely off base in your accusations of unfairness.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 3rd 2008 at 1:26 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

I have been to USCIS office several times in the past.Not once was I treated with dignity. They treat you like you are some kind of a criminal.
I however have to say this. That is not country specific but I have seen white people getting different treatment.
Ironically I heard Canadian immigration officers are very polite and professional and well mannered.
If you are telling me the US immigration officers treat people with respect then you are making my point.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I however have to say this. That is not country specific but I have seen white people getting different treatment. ...

If you are telling me the US immigration officers treat people with respect then you are making my point.
Not everyone from the UK and Canada is white. For all you know, Rete's husband is Hispanic and Ian's black.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.