Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage, asylee, following-to-join benefits, aos and the kitchen sink

Wikiposts

Marriage, asylee, following-to-join benefits, aos and the kitchen sink

Old Nov 12th 2005, 4:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage, asylee, following-to-join benefits, aos and the kitchen sink

Afraid this one’s complicated:

Timeline:
An asylee enters the US as a single person
The asylee marries a non-US citizen outside the US
The asylee gains US permanent resident status

Questions:
1/ Can the asylee use “following-to-join benefits”?
2/ If the asylee’s spouse had entered the US on a visitor’s B-2 visa, could the asylee’s spouse remain and adjust status using “following-to-join benefits”?
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage, asylee, following-to-join benefits, aos and the kitchen sink

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Timeline:

Questions:
2/ If the asylee’s spouse had entered the US on a visitor’s B-2 visa, could the asylee’s spouse remain and adjust status using “following-to-join benefits”?
Hi:

You leave out HOW the asylee gained LPR status.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage, asylee, following-to-join benefits, aos and the kitchen sink

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You leave out HOW the asylee gained LPR status.

It was non-derivative.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

It was non-derivative.
Hi:

Fine. But how did the asylee get LPR status? You don't say.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:25 am
Septicity

Hi:

Fine. But how did the asylee get LPR status? You don't say.
I-485
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:43 am
Account Closed

I-485

Sigh. Forget I asked. I can't answer your question; you don't anwer mine.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:01 am
Septicity

Sigh. Forget I asked. I can't answer your question; you don't anwer mine.

Okay! I enjoy your winding! Given the above scenario, would it be worth kicking them screaming to an immigration lawyer (they are reluctant to go and equate it with having all their teeth pulled without anesthesia) as there might be a path here or would they have more chance with the Power Ball jackpot? Their current 'plan' is, I believe, to live in immigration sin until N400.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Timeline:

Questions:
Hmm, well I'd guess that the asylee, being an LPR, would follow the normal protocol of any LPR petitioning a spouse. I'm guessing, of course, but I'm not so sure the following to join option would be available. Aslyees aren't mentioned in the blurb below, from USCIS

"Following-to-Join Benefits for Spouses
Please note: This section is only applicable to lawful permanent residents who did not gain their LPR status as an immediate relative (parent, spouse, or unmarried child under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen.
If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident, and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, and your spouse will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa. Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and if one of the following is applicable:

You received a diversity immigrant visa
You received an employment-based immigrant visa
You received an immigrant visa based on your relationship to your U.S. citizen sibling
You received an immigrant visa based on your relationship to your U.S. citizen parent when you were already married"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm

Last edited by bionomique; Nov 13th 2005 at 12:50 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bionomique
Hmm, well I'd guess that the asylee, being an LPR, would follow the normal protocol of any LPR petitioning a spouse. I'm guessing, of course, but I'm not so sure the following to join option would be available. Aslyees aren't mentioned in the blurb below, from USCIS

"Following-to-Join Benefits for Spouses
Please note: This section is only applicable to lawful permanent residents who did not gain their LPR status as an immediate relative (parent, spouse, or unmarried child under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen.
If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident, and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, and your spouse will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa. Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and if one of the following is applicable:

You received a diversity immigrant visa
You received an employment-based immigrant visa
You received an immigrant visa based on your relationship to your U.S. citizen sibling
You received an immigrant visa based on your relationship to your U.S. citizen parent when you were already married"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm
Hi:

You've spotted the problem -- the one which the OP doesn't care to clarify as to permit an answer. Based upon what he posted, there is no way to tell if the spouse could do "FTJ" or not -- it depends upon how the asylee spouse adjusted.