Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marraige Question, Need some help..

Wikiposts

Marraige Question, Need some help..

Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Jazzapples is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marraige Question, Need some help..

Hello-

I am a U.S. citizen engaged to a British citizen and trying to figure out some info. My understanding is that I would get a ILR after four years of marriage, even though we would be living in the U.S. What I am wanting to know is, what is the process to obtain British citizenship after I have received and ILR? Is there a residency requirement? Any help would be much appreciated, I keep finding contradictory information on various cites (or a lack of information specific to my case on the government sites).

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marraige Question, Need some help..

Originally Posted by Jazzapples
Hello-

I am a U.S. citizen engaged to a British citizen and trying to figure out some info. My understanding is that I would get a ILR after four years of marriage, even though we would be living in the U.S. What I am wanting to know is, what is the process to obtain British citizenship after I have received and ILR? Is there a residency requirement? Any help would be much appreciated, I keep finding contradictory information on various cites (or a lack of information specific to my case on the government sites).

Thanks!
You'll probably get a better response asking that question over at this site, which is for USC's heading to the UK.

http://www.uk-yankee.com/

This forum is for people immigrating TO the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello-

Thanks!
Where are you planning to marry?
Where are you planning to live after the marriage?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to be living in the UK to get Bitish citizenship and to get ILR, I think they may call it something else now though
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Hello-

Thank you for the responses. We are planning to be married in the states, and planning to live here for a few years.

In response to the second post, I have read on a number of sites that ILR's are granted after 4 years of marriage, despite living outside the U.K.

Thanks for the help-
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello-

Thank you for the responses. We are planning to be married in the states, and planning to live here for a few years.
You should probably plan on living in the USA until he becomes a USC. That way, if something doesn't work out back in the UK (after you move back there), you'll both still have the option to come back to the USA.

If he becomes a US PR and then leaves the USA for any length of time, he risks losing his PR status.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

That's the plan. Which leaves me wondering how I would go about obtaining British citizenship while we are living together in the states. We do plan on living in the U.K. at some point, but I am a world traveling musician, and cannot see myself meeting the 3-year residency requirement if it means that I can't leave the country for more than 270 days in 3 years.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:06 am

That's the plan. Which leaves me wondering how I would go about obtaining British citizenship while we are living together in the states.
I don't think you can. I think there is a requirement to live in the UK for a certain amount of time. I posted a link for you to check into the USA ---> UK route.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's the plan. Which leaves me wondering how I would go about obtaining British citizenship while we are living together in the states. We do plan on living in the U.K. at some point, but I am a world traveling musician, and cannot see myself meeting the 3-year residency requirement if it means that I can't leave the country for more than 270 days in 3 years.
Maybe like the rest of us who don't want to live there for the required 3 years.. you'll just have to do without.