Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Male change of surname following marriage

Wikiposts

Male change of surname following marriage

Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:06 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Male change of surname following marriage

Hi there,

This isn't something I've ever considered before for a couple who are not going through an immigration process, but I have even less idea about how it can impact a couple who are, and the paper work that needs to be done etc.

My fianceé comes from a family that has history in the town where she and her family lives. However, she has no brothers, and the family name is now restricted to her parents and her.

We've discussed the option of me taking on her name after the marriage instead of her taking on mine, but I have no idea if it's even possible for the guy to change his surname.

Should it be possible, what would I have to do after the marriage in regards to the forms that need to be completed for AOS?

Any advice or comments are appreciated.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Male change of surname following marriage

Originally Posted by Knight
Hi there,

This isn't something I've ever considered before for a couple who are not going through an immigration process, but I have even less idea about how it can impact a couple who are, and the paper work that needs to be done etc.

My fianceé comes from a family that has history in the town where she and her family lives. However, she has no brothers, and the family name is now restricted to her parents and her.

We've discussed the option of me taking on her name after the marriage instead of her taking on mine, but I have no idea if it's even possible for the guy to change his surname.

Should it be possible, what would I have to do after the marriage in regards to the forms that need to be completed for AOS?

Any advice or comments are appreciated.
there are questions all over the paper work for previous names used!!

I dont know if u can here, I know its pretty normal practice in Europe. But the paper work is not going to be the problem.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if it's even possible for the guy to change his surname.
It's not a common practice, but it's certainly possible. Once you have the marriage certificate, go to SSA and get your name changed there first... after that, your new name should go on everything you file.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for a lot of hassle though, even after the name change. Like at the DMV for instance, and there's other places. Incredibly annoying, but if it's worth it to you - go ahead!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:38 am
-John

"Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hi there,
>
> This isn't something I've ever considered before for a couple who are
> not going through an immigration process, but I have even less idea
> about how it can impact a couple who are, and the paper work that needs
> to be done etc.
>
> My fiance�?�?�?© comes from a family that has history in the town where she
> and her family lives. However, she has no brothers, and the family name
> is now restricted to her parents and her.
>
> We've discussed the option of me taking on her name after the marriage
> instead of her taking on mine, but I have no idea if it's even possible
> for the guy to change his surname.
>
> Should it be possible, what would I have to do after the marriage in
> regards to the forms that need to be completed for AOS?
>
> Any advice or comments are appreciated.
>
> --

Hi,

Best to get some legal advice.
I had a name change done some years ago, however it was not just a matter of
using a new surname. It is a "legal" name change which involved a court
process.
You petition the court to have your name changed. As part of that process
you must also
publish the change in a local legal paper to give notice of the change, than
when the
court approves the change your original birth cert will be modified to
reflect the change.
Than you can go to DMV, Soc. Sec. etc. with your newly modified Birth Cert.
In some States you may or may not be able to change your name if you hold a
professional license in that State.

Best of Luck to You.

Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -John
"Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hi there,
>
> This isn't something I've ever considered before for a couple who are
> not going through an immigration process, but I have even less idea
> about how it can impact a couple who are, and the paper work that needs
> to be done etc.
>
> My fiance�?�?�?© comes from a family that has history in the town where she
> and her family lives. However, she has no brothers, and the family name
> is now restricted to her parents and her.
>
> We've discussed the option of me taking on her name after the marriage
> instead of her taking on mine, but I have no idea if it's even possible
> for the guy to change his surname.
>
> Should it be possible, what would I have to do after the marriage in
> regards to the forms that need to be completed for AOS?
>
> Any advice or comments are appreciated.
>
> --

Hi,

Best to get some legal advice.
I had a name change done some years ago, however it was not just a matter of
using a new surname. It is a "legal" name change which involved a court
process.
You petition the court to have your name changed. As part of that process
you must also
publish the change in a local legal paper to give notice of the change, than
when the
court approves the change your original birth cert will be modified to
reflect the change.
Than you can go to DMV, Soc. Sec. etc. with your newly modified Birth Cert.
In some States you may or may not be able to change your name if you hold a
professional license in that State.

Best of Luck to You.
Interesting. Why would a woman who changes her surname due to marriage not have to go through all that? But a man would? I don't think so....but I'm not sure...

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:29 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's not a common practice, but it's certainly possible. Once you have the marriage certificate, go to SSA and get your name changed there first..
With SSA it's going to depend if the state allows a man to legally change his name due to marriage.

If it does then the same procedures as a woman changing her name applys.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210
RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

5. Change of Name Because of Marriage

The marriage certificate is acceptable evidence for a legal name change because in the State where Lynn and Lesley married, marriage is an event when the wife may change her name to the husband's last name, the husband may change his name to the wife's last name, or they both may change to a new name.

http://tinyurl.com/f7s8l
EM-06064 Enumeration: Change in Policy Regarding Acceptable Name Change Documents for a Replacement SSN Card for a Name Change

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed to establish the name change if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years
-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names, and
-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.
-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or
-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to figure this out: once you have your social security card in your new married name, doesn't the DMV have to put your name on the driver license as it is on the SS card?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:15 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
I'm still trying to figure this out: once you have your social security card in your new married name, doesn't the DMV have to put your name on the driver license as it is on the SS card?
Most state DMVs now check the driver's license application info against the SSN record, so if you apply with the name that's on your SSN record you are almost 99.99% certain to not have a problem getting the license.

The one time I know of people having a problem are people with one name. SSA puts the single name in the last name position and puts "unknown" in the first name position on the SSN record, but the SSN card only shows the single name. So when Bono goes to apply for a driver's license and only puts Bono on the application, it doesn't match the SSN record, because it says Unknown Bono. Now how each state handles this I'm not sure.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, md.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:54 pm
J Moreno

In article <[email protected]> ,
Noorah101 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Interesting. Why would a woman who changes her surname due to marriage
> not have to go through all that? But a man would? I don't think
> so....but I'm not sure...

In most states, prior to 9/11, they go by English commonlaw, and
changing ones name is simply a matter of using the new name. For either
men or women.

While this is still probably the case even after 9/11, you might find
yourself fighting city-hall (so to speak) on the issue and you'll have
an easier time of it if you go through channels.

That said, again in most states, either party can change their name
upon marriage simply by presenting the marriage certificate to the
relevant authorities and asking for them to change their records to
reflect the new name.

--
J. Moreno

Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by J Moreno
In most states, prior to 9/11, they go by English commonlaw, and changing ones name is simply a matter of using the new name. For either men or women.

While this is still probably the case even after 9/11, you might find
yourself fighting city-hall (so to speak) on the issue and you'll have
an easier time of it if you go through channels.
That option is still available. I even thought of using it to change my name, as it is essentially free of cost. There is a change of name legal declaration form, available on some websites, that you can fill up (could be state specific). Its always a good idea to file a copy of it with the local courthouse, just in case your lenders don't agree with you just "declaring" a change in name.

In my case, since I still had to deal with the INS, I was not sure whether they would accept a common law change of name. I decided to pay the $230 and get it changed through a courthouse, and I am happy that I did.

I still have to file the I-751 and I am going to be filing it without the I-90. I am also going to specify on the cover letter on why I am not using the I-90.

I hope it works out.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
If you still in the UK you can change yor name by deed poll ..
then just get all the various department to change your name ...
Although that can take time ....

Takes me 5 minutes to knock up a legal deed poll

these people want 34 pounds for it ..
http://www.ukdps.co.uk/
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:55 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
If you still in the UK you can change yor name by deed poll ..
then just get all the various department to change your name ...
Although that can take time ....

Takes me 5 minutes to knock up a legal deed poll

these people want 34 pounds for it ..
http://www.ukdps.co.uk/
I had to do a deedpoll (which I just knocked up) in December to take on my step dads last name in an official context (I'd been using it since I was 5, but he'd never adopted me, and a document had never been filled out for it).

The I-129F packet has been sent in my current name, so I don't want to have to change names in the middle of the application for the visa, I just thought before the AOS was filled for would be a good place.

It is shocking the websites that say they can do the deed poll for you though.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do a deedpoll (which I just knocked up) in December to take on my step dads last name in an official context (I'd been using it since I was 5, but he'd never adopted me, and a document had never been filled out for it).

The I-129F packet has been sent in my current name, so I don't want to have to change names in the middle of the application for the visa, I just thought before the AOS was filled for would be a good place.

It is shocking the websites that say they can do the deed poll for you though.
They rely on ignorance .....
but as you say ..its too late now ..but do remember when you get naturalized a few years down the line you are offered the chance to change your name in the US then at no cost ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.