Wikiposts

Made it! Fun with POE!

Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Made it! Fun with POE!

Well, I guess that went ok then!

I promised that I would faithfully report my POE experience as soon as I got the chance, and now that the chance is upon me there's really not much to report. It was all very simple, very quick, not at all daunting, not much of anything actually!

So, from the beginning.

I'd loaded two suitcases to bursting point, and I was a bit concerned about how much they were going to weigh. My Dad loaded the cases onto the conveyor belt at the airport check-in desk, and the lady behind the counter told me that one of them was over the limit but she was going to let me off... Thank you! She put a big orange "HEAVY" tag round the handles of both of them though, which at least helped me identify the things at the other end.

After I had said my goodbyes to my family I went through Security at Departure, and to be honest I was a little disappointed that the metal plate in my hand didn't set the alarms off. Titanium, I'm told - very strong, very boring. Oh well. The excitement came almost immediately afterwards when the handle on my carry-on bag broke with what seemed like a mile before I got to the gate. Another overloaded bag, *sigh*

The flight itself was fairly typical, although the screaming baby several rows behind me was offset by all the conveniance and space of three empty seats beside me, so I suppose that sort of balances it all out.

The plane landed three minutes early, and the baby at the back started a fresh round of screaming to celebrate. It took a little while longer than usual to disembark, due to a medical drama unfolding in the first-class section. Never did find what that was about.

I'm not at all nervous about flying but I must admit to some slight jitters about facing passport control. What's it going to be like, this secondary inspection thing? Will they take me into a windowless office and sit me behind a desk? Will I be kept waiting for an hour while Agent Smith intimidates me? Nah, nothing so dramatic!

It took almost an hour to get through the line of people waiting at passport control, and the screaming baby was no comfort there. Finally I was summoned to the desk far over to the right... This was it, the dreaded POE moment!

I stepped up to the counter as directed, and before me was a round faced young man with ginger hair, whose opening words ("Jeez, will somebody shut that kid up?") confirmed that this was *not* Agent Smith. I gave him my passport.

"So you're on a K1?"
'yes'
"Ok, where your K1 stuff at?"
He couldn't be any less intimidating if he tried. I gave him my brown envelope, which fell to the desk with a whump!

"Oh man, look at the size of that thing! What've you got in there?"

I told him that we'd made a point of being thorough and he just shook his head. Finally he got the thing open and groaned again, and held it up so his colleague on the next desk could see. This guy was big on the "oh man" line too, and asked if I'd got a complete criminal record in there too. Oh how we laughed.

Agent not-smith then pointed out the fingerprinting scanner, and told me he needed a left index finger first, then the right index finger, and finally a photograph. The left finger was fine, but as my right hand has been out of action for so long the skin was too dry to leave any kind of mark. I tried pressing harder, and he said "Just do the left thumb then, it's really not important." The photo was taken by a webcam-like thing on the end of a flexible arm, and no sooner had he pointed to it than he'd pressed the button. I've a feeling that my photo is going to show me with my mouth hanging open, halfway through saying "huh?" He asked if I was aware of the 90-day rule for a K1 visa and I told him yes. He asked where we were going to live and where we were going to be married, and those were the only questions asked.

He turned his attention back to the vast lump of paperwork in front of him and started looking through it. He found what he needed pretty quickly, and stamped and signed a couple of bits, whilst saying things like "ok... uh huh... and this is you here... Oh that's great, I can work with this one!"

Finally he just beamed, and held the petition up to show his friend once more. "Look, this one's even got tabs on the bottom of the pages!!"

'so it's all ok then?'
"yep, it's great"
'my fiancee's on the other side of those gates, she's going to be thrilled to hear you say that. So, really ok?'
"yep, best I've seen"

And with that slightly surreal experience it was all over. There was no scary interview room, no difficult questions, the whole thing took no more than ten minutes.

He waved me on, toward baggage reclaim, and thus ended the big scary POE experience. My SG and I were reunited within ten minutes or so from this point, and I've been grinning ever since!

Cheers,
Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Back where we belong!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:23 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made it! Fun with POE!

About flaming time you surfaced again! Well done on the POE. You do like to lug around lots of papers don't you.

I hope you're settling in ok, that the hand is getting better and that SG is looking after you.

Loads of love
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!! :-)
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:44 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

good for you two.. thanks for sharing..
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

WOOHOO!!! Congratulations Mr P and SG.

Great news you made it safe and sound. I got my POE experience 2 weeks on MOnday. I cant' believe its almost here.

Have a great and fulfilling life together.

Love
Gisela xx
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!! I'm glad you made it o.k.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Mr Pink... Separate rooms until you are actually married please...
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:01 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Welcome to America Mr Pink. Good luck to you both and your new life together.

Maggie

Originally posted by mrpink

I promised that I would faithfully report my POE experience as soon as I got the chance, and now that the chance is upon me there's really not much to report. It was all very simple, very quick, not at all daunting, not much of anything actually!

So, from the beginning.

I'd loaded two suitcases to bursting point, and I was a bit concerned about how much they were going to weigh. My Dad loaded the cases onto the conveyor belt at the airport check-in desk, and the lady behind the counter told me that one of them was over the limit but she was going to let me off... Thank you! She put a big orange "HEAVY" tag round the handles of both of them though, which at least helped me identify the things at the other end.

After I had said my goodbyes to my family I went through Security at Departure, and to be honest I was a little disappointed that the metal plate in my hand didn't set the alarms off. Titanium, I'm told - very strong, very boring. Oh well. The excitement came almost immediately afterwards when the handle on my carry-on bag broke with what seemed like a mile before I got to the gate. Another overloaded bag, *sigh*

The flight itself was fairly typical, although the screaming baby several rows behind me was offset by all the conveniance and space of three empty seats beside me, so I suppose that sort of balances it all out.

The plane landed three minutes early, and the baby at the back started a fresh round of screaming to celebrate. It took a little while longer than usual to disembark, due to a medical drama unfolding in the first-class section. Never did find what that was about.

I'm not at all nervous about flying but I must admit to some slight jitters about facing passport control. What's it going to be like, this secondary inspection thing? Will they take me into a windowless office and sit me behind a desk? Will I be kept waiting for an hour while Agent Smith intimidates me? Nah, nothing so dramatic!

It took almost an hour to get through the line of people waiting at passport control, and the screaming baby was no comfort there. Finally I was summoned to the desk far over to the right... This was it, the dreaded POE moment!

I stepped up to the counter as directed, and before me was a round faced young man with ginger hair, whose opening words ("Jeez, will somebody shut that kid up?") confirmed that this was *not* Agent Smith. I gave him my passport.

"So you're on a K1?"
'yes'
He couldn't be any less intimidating if he tried. I gave him my brown envelope, which fell to the desk with a whump!

I told him that we'd made a point of being thorough and he just shook his head. Finally he got the thing open and groaned again, and held it up so his colleague on the next desk could see. This guy was big on the "oh man" line too, and asked if I'd got a complete criminal record in there too. Oh how we laughed.

Agent not-smith then pointed out the fingerprinting scanner, and told me he needed a left index finger first, then the right index finger, and finally a photograph. The left finger was fine, but as my right hand has been out of action for so long the skin was too dry to leave any kind of mark. I tried pressing harder, and he said "Just do the left thumb then, it's really not important." The photo was taken by a webcam-like thing on the end of a flexible arm, and no sooner had he pointed to it than he'd pressed the button. I've a feeling that my photo is going to show me with my mouth hanging open, halfway through saying "huh?" He asked if I was aware of the 90-day rule for a K1 visa and I told him yes. He asked where we were going to live and where we were going to be married, and those were the only questions asked.

He turned his attention back to the vast lump of paperwork in front of him and started looking through it. He found what he needed pretty quickly, and stamped and signed a couple of bits, whilst saying things like "ok... uh huh... and this is you here... Oh that's great, I can work with this one!"

Finally he just beamed, and held the petition up to show his friend once more. "Look, this one's even got tabs on the bottom of the pages!!"

'so it's all ok then?'
"yep, it's great"
'my fiancee's on the other side of those gates, she's going to be thrilled to hear you say that. So, really ok?'
"yep, best I've seen"

And with that slightly surreal experience it was all over. There was no scary interview room, no difficult questions, the whole thing took no more than ten minutes.

He waved me on, toward baggage reclaim, and thus ended the big scary POE experience. My SG and I were reunited within ten minutes or so from this point, and I've been grinning ever since!

Cheers,
Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Back where we belong!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:08 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel cheated! I never even got asked that many questions!!!!! Hehehehe!!!! Glad to see you had a safe journey. Now enjoy!!!!!!!! You both more than deserve it!!!!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:18 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Best of luck Mr Pink with your new life in the USA!

You must be very happy, relieved and excited all at the same time

Congrats!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you made it here ok ... congrats !!

Jan
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

mrp,

Thank God you're here - maybe SG will be a bit easier to take now. ;-)

Welcome.

Best regards, JEff

So, from the beginning.

"So you're on a K1?"
'yes'

'so it's all ok then?'
"yep, it's great"
"yep, best I've seen"

Cheers,
Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Back where we belong!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

colinlieu is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to you two!!! Everybody here is more than happy for you, after all you went through. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. Now relax for a while and enjoy your time together. Oh, and we want to hear about the wedding too!

Well done

M.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:20 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Mr. Pink on your arrival! I can just see you an SG smiling from ear to ear.

Juliet
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:34 am
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point

So, from the beginning.

"So you're on a K1?"
'yes'

'so it's all ok then?'
"yep, it's great"
"yep, best I've seen"

Cheers,
Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Back where we belong!

Congratulations!! So glad everything was reasonably painless for you at the POE. I hope that your big day is as wonderful and perfect as you truely deserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.