The Lovelorn Visa

Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Lovelorn Visa

Sorry if someone's already posted this - see link for entire article ...

Finding Love Abroad, Then Support Online for Visa Quest
By Karin Brulliard
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 29, 2007; A01

This is what love has done to Wendy Brown: She's lost weight, resumed smoking and all but decided to move to the Balkans to be with her Albanian fiance. And each night, she spends hours in her cozy Baltimore apartment mingling online with strangers who are equally fixated on the same topic: getting their soul mates through the U.S. immigration system.

"We are both devastated," Brown, 38, wrote last spring on VisaJourney.com, reporting that the U.S. Embassy in Albania had denied her fiance a visa. She also posted a list of the questions the fiance was asked at his interview. "I'm going to keep fighting and fighting until we get what we both want more than anything in the world. . . . and that is to be together." Many people are frustrated with the immigration process and its long lines and opaque applications that, if misinterpreted, can send a case back to square one. Perhaps none are more ardent than the growing ranks of U.S. citizens applying for fiance and spouse visas, who say their passion is driven by a sense that their own government is fighting them and by the fear that delays or denials might spell the end of a romance.

In recent years, these American petitioners have channeled their despair into a few Web sites featuring the odd pairing of love stories and red-tape navigation for those fed up with the federal immigration agency's help line, whose representatives are trained in immigration regulations and provide scripted advice that critics say is often wrong.

VisaJourney, a site whose 35,000 members are mostly Americans with foreign fiances and spouses, is at once a celebration of love and a condemnation of bureaucracy. Members, who call themselves VJ'ers, describe meeting their beloveds in Kenyan bars, Jamaican churches, online video games. They have posted thousands of photos of smiling couples in foreign lands. Their profile pages are adorned with beating hearts, clocks counting the hours since their last meetings and such statements as "feels like eternity . . . without him."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lovelorn Visa

Originally Posted by janadeen
"We are both devastated," Brown, 38, wrote last spring on VisaJourney.com, reporting that the U.S. Embassy in Albania had denied her fiance a visa.
For all we know, the guy's a criminal.

She has since made four trips to visit Hasaj, whose family grows tobacco behind their Albanian home.
Oh... tobacco... yah, sure!

The interviewing consular officer has reason to believe that the engagement was entered into to evade immigration laws.
Well... now the truth is starting to emerge.

"People who aren't born-and-bred American citizens are taking precedence over American citizens.
By and large, US citizens have no need of immigration services except as it pertains to some non-US citizen.

Come next month, she said, she is moving to Albania.
Well, what the hell is she whining about then?

"Not that I want to be a farmer's wife," ...
Ah well, now the truth comes out. I wonder what his reaction will be when he learns she's moving to Albania... and she probably expects that it'll be an easy peasy thing because, after all, she's an American.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ah well, now the truth comes out. I wonder what his reaction will be when he learns she's moving to Albania... and she probably expects that it'll be an easy peasy thing because, after all, she's an American.

Ian
Just read the article. Apparently, he's supportive of her move to Albania. So maybe that means it is legit. That just may be proof enough of love for me.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

Ian, you missed the best part of one of the paragraphs you quoted:

"People who aren't born-and-bred American citizens are taking precedence over American citizens. . . . The government is talking about, 'Let's legalize the illegal aliens' when you're waiting for your loved ones to get here. What happened to family first?" said Faith Keenan, 43, of Ruther Glen, Va. She applied for a visa for her Egyptian fiance four months ago. She said she thinks about her pending application "all day long. It consumes you."
Aside from four months being relatively NOTHING in the scheme of things in this process, a FINACE isn't technically FAMILY! There's the INTENT for that person to become family, but they're not yet.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - LOL! Ian you STILL, *still* never fail to crack me up!

For all we know, the guy's a criminal.

Oh... tobacco... yah, sure!

Well... now the truth is starting to emerge.

By and large, US citizens have no need of immigration services except as it pertains to some non-US citizen.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olliewat
...a FINACE [sic] isn't technically FAMILY! There's the INTENT for that person to become family, but they're not yet.
You're not serious, are you? Please tell me you're kidding.

A K1 fiance(e) visa is a marriage-based visa. And marriage is about family. It's not about getting someone here just because they're an acquaintance of yours. Sheesh.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olliewat
Ian, you missed the best part of one of the paragraphs you quoted:
Hot damn... I can't believe I let that one get past me! Hmm... I must be getting old!

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
A K1 fiance(e) visa is a marriage-based visa.
Yes it is... but "fiance" is not a recognized category of "family". You're not family until you're married.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:35 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is... but "fiance" is not a recognized category of "family". You're not family until you're married.

Ian
Hair-splitter.

I challenge you to find three people who have been through or are currently going through the K1 visa process who did/do NOT consider their fiance(e)s as part of their families before marriage. I'm not talking in the legal sense of the word -- I'm talking in their hearts. I doubt you'll be able to find any, possibly and probably even including yourself.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

I'm not talking in the legal sense of the word -- I'm talking in their hearts.
Yah... but that doesn't much matter! In fact, honest to god, I just asked Sheila whether she considered me part of her family when we were engaged but not yet married... and she said "no". Quite emphatically, I might add! So, I'm 2/3 of the way there now... since I felt the same way! One more person to find...

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 29th 2007 at 11:47 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:49 am
I'm back!

Yah... but that doesn't much matter! In fact, honest to god, I just asked Sheila whether she considered me part of her family when we were engaged but not yet married... and she said "no". Quite emphatically, I might add! So, I'm 2/3 of the way there now... since I felt the same way! One more person to find...

Ian
You can't count yourself as one of the three! That's cheating...

~ Jenney
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:45 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Just read the article. Apparently, he's supportive of her move to Albania. So maybe that means it is legit. That just may be proof enough of love for me.
Maybe it just means he's cleverly thinking ahead - if he can't get there straight away they might be more likely to be able to get into the US after living together a couple of years there.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

You're not serious, are you? Please tell me you're kidding.

A K1 fiance(e) visa is a marriage-based visa. And marriage is about family. It's not about getting someone here just because they're an acquaintance of yours. Sheesh.

~ Jenney
I am quite serious.

Here's the thing. I have friends who I consider to be more family to me than actual family. My husband has a best friend that I refer to as my brother-in-law because the two of them are closer than he is with his ACTUAL brother.

But - in a strictly bureaucratic sense, and in actual definition - a fiance is NOT YET family. As I said, there is the INTENT for that person to become family, but when they hit US soil, they are NOT YET family. And if they ARE, then they're using the wrong visa.

What we feel in our hearts doesn't necessarily make it fact. ESPECIALLY in the eyes of immigration.