Wikiposts

Lots of advice needed - spouse visa

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Sarlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lots of advice needed - spouse visa

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Hey Sarlou,

I've just got here from England a few weeks ago after going down the spousal visa route. I'm a UK citizen and my husband is USC and we got married in May '06. It took 5 months from sending off the forms until I had the visa in my hand.

We got a lot of useful information from www.visajourney.com but make sure you check with www.uscis.gov before filling in any forms etc.

Just let me know if you would like to discuss this in more detail as we have literally only just gone through the process and may be able to give you some good advice if you need it?

Good luck! Andie
Thanks Andie, have sent you an email!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:46 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like Meuxana and others have answered the visa questions, but:

Buy a good goose down coat, lots of sweaters and thermal undies (long johns). Learn to like snowmobiling, and to bitch and moan that we had a "bad winter...we only has 126 inches of snow". Learn how to love watching hockey and curling...and driving everywhere and walking no where.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:20 pm
-M-
Just Joined

-M- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Helpful reminder for the old fogies:
The I-130 initial submission instructions now read:

"NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed in 1)through 4) above, you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may evidence that bonafides of your marriage:
1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or
2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or
3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or
4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or
5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or
6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130.pdf

Newlyweds who have not yet lived together may find affidavits to be the only evidence they can provide. Isn't that what your wedding witnesses are for?
If I could ask a quick question re the above? It also might be a suggestion not sure. Would it not be possible to use the marriage certificate to be added to the US spouses bank account or even credit card? My partner and I are looking at the I 130 spouse route and he is currently looking into what his bank will allow wrt ID etc. If people think it would be useful I would be happy to let you have their response. I can't promise it will be quickly though!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -M-
If I could ask a quick question re the above? It also might be a suggestion not sure. Would it not be possible to use the marriage certificate to be added to the US spouses bank account or even credit card? My partner and I are looking at the I 130 spouse route and he is currently looking into what his bank will allow wrt ID etc. If people think it would be useful I would be happy to let you have their response. I can't promise it will be quickly though!

Those are great ideas, all the sorts of things that a couple can do even if not living under the same roof, actually.
Adding the foreign spouse as an authorized user to a credit card account will also jump start a credit score for them, and I don't think they need a SS#.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Adding the foreign spouse as an authorized user to a credit card account will also jump start a credit score for them...
depends on who issues the card, with some, it won't, it'll only make a difference if they are co-signer of the card, BoA...
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not need my alien husband's SSN to add him as an authorized user on my American Express and Discover cards. He received his own separate card in the mail.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:06 am
Just Joined

WesF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarlou
My husband and I got married in England on the 10th March. I am a british citizen living in England and he is a US citizen currently living in Minnesota (he flew back 10 days after the wedding).

I am currently at university but am hoping to join my husband in Minnesota as soon as possible after I finish my studies in May. We are aware that the visa application process can be lengthy and I would like to know whether there is anyway for me to live with him whilst waiting for my immigrant visa to be processed (though I know it won't be possible to work). Does the fact that my visa will only be conditional affect the total processing time? Could I stay in the US on a tourist visa whilst waiting? Are there any ways of speeding up the general process?

We are just getting ready to file the I-130 forms (well my husband is) and we are a little confused about the evidence required. Due to the nature of our situation we have never been able to live together or have a joint bank account so we cannot use any of those supporting documents. Is it necessary to include affidavits of support from people and if so how do we go about getting these? Does it matter who they are from? Under other supporting documents should we include photos, emails, letters of support from friends and family? I just don't want to make any mistakes on the application as I know this would really hold up the application....

Any advice on any of these matters would be a great help!!

My wife came to the US on a travel visa....the field office told us to get married and start the i-485 process and other documents that come with it..having the case pending will keep you from being here illegally...also DO NOT leave the us under any situation even if you do get advanced parole..

read my first post here...

Just bide your time enjoy your marriage in the usa and jump through the hoops USCIS tells you to do.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on who issues the card, with some, it won't, it'll only make a difference if they are co-signer of the card, BoA...
bob wot do u mean by co signer of the card? I was hoping that doing this would also help my credit score as i have just got my ssn and gc. Do u have any suggestions how i can start off a credit history??? thanks dee.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
bob wot do u mean by co signer of the card? I was hoping that doing this would also help my credit score as i have just got my ssn and gc. Do u have any suggestions how i can start off a credit history??? thanks dee.
Hi Deedee,

I added my alien husband to my Discover card and American Express card. They did not ask for any information other than his name. They said he would be added as an authorized user on my account. He received his own cards in his own name in the mail. About a year later, I ran his credit report, and sure enough, those 2 cards were on there...so evidently it would have affected his credit if he had used them (which he didn't). So yes, that could be a good starting point, as long as the main card holder has good credit to begin with.

As for your own credit, the best way is to get a "secured credit card" through your bank, make regular payments on it, keep a low balance on it, and after a year they release the "secured" part and it becomes a regular credit card. Secured means you put like $500 aside at the bank, they hold it separately, and that becomes your credit limit on the card.

I think there's lots of discussions on how to build credit over in the USA forum....USA Lifestyle, maybe?

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Lots of advice needed - spouse visa

Originally Posted by Noorah101
HI think there's lots of discussions on how to build credit over in the USA forum....USA Lifestyle, maybe?

Rene
We generally have more interesting things to talk about over in the USA forum although there are some nuggets here and there.

But it's all summarised very succinctly in Fatbrit's article (click on Articles )

Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
If you don't have a job, they'll put you on as a co-user, which is worthless, if your earning money, they'll add you as a co-signer, as in it's a joint card, rather than being a kid on the card.

Different requirements for who issue the card though, just saying that not all will be the same.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you don't have a job, they'll put you on as a co-user, which is worthless, if your earning money, they'll add you as a co-signer, as in it's a joint card, rather than being a kid on the card.

Different requirements for who issue the card though, just saying that not all will be the same.
More focus on the 2nd paragraph by my experience... my husband didn't have a job, could not be a joint account holder (bank policy--they don't have 'em) so we took their only option: authorized user. He gets his own card with his name, same account number, same billing, and apparently, he inherited my credit scoring as well.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

More focus on the 2nd paragraph by my experience... my husband didn't have a job, could not be a joint account holder (bank policy--they don't have 'em) so we took their only option: authorized user. He gets his own card with his name, same account number, same billing, and apparently, he inherited my credit scoring as well.
luck of the draw I guess....same situ pretty much, but it got me nothing.