Lost X-ray CD

Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost X-ray CD

That is the visa process file, from submission of the petition through completion of the visa application.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by paul2012
Indeed. Thankfully there were no "visa" documents in the folder, but a load of ID stuff did go missing (marriage certificates, police record stuff birth certificates). I've reported everything to the police, who didn't seem too concerned, so I'm just praying that nothing goes awry when I enter the US next week.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

paul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nice

That is the visa process file, from submission of the petition through completion of the visa application.
But nothing linking those documents to a visa, nor any of the associated paperwork, nor anything relating to financial support, future address, sponsor etc. It's a pain in the arse yes, but surely more of a risk for UK based ID theft than it is to visa fraud - the fact that I've had a visa approved is dissociated from those documents, in-so-much as I could have had them on me with no intentions of ever applying for a visa.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, sorry, I thought you were talking about the 'plain brown envelope' being stolen.

Regards, JEff

But nothing linking those documents to a visa, nor any of the associated paperwork, nor anything relating to financial support, future address, sponsor etc. It's a pain in the arse yes, but surely more of a risk for UK based ID theft than it is to visa fraud - the fact that I've had a visa approved is dissociated from those documents, in-so-much as I could have had them on me with no intentions of ever applying for a visa.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice

Just to check to make sure I'm not going crazy, the "brown envelope" comes with your passport via the courier, right?

[EDIT: OK just checked, it does. Sorry - has been a bit of a nightmare week...]
It could be a "White envelope" like mine. A3 sized
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

paul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
OK, sorry, I thought you were talking about the 'plain brown envelope' being stolen.

Regards, JEff
Ah yes - no, that would be an absolute disaster!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

For the record, as predicted, no one asked for my CD.

I couldn't care less - I'm writing this from a Starbucks just off the Hudson, while I wait for my wife to get back from work, safe in the knowledge that, for the first time in our lives, we're not together on borrowed time. And it feels incredible.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, as predicted, no one asked for my CD.

I couldn't care less - I'm writing this from a Starbucks just off the Hudson, while I wait for my wife to get back from work, safe in the knowledge that, for the first time in our lives, we're not together on borrowed time. And it feels incredible.
Yay!! Congratulations!

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Tokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really nice

I have seen this question come up a few times, so I thought it might be worth pasting some excerpts of what the FAM has to say on the topic. Apologies if I am repeating anything that has been discussed ad nauseam:

9 FAM 42.66 N15 DISPOSITION OF MEDICAL DOCUMENTS AFTER VISA ISSUANCE TO APPLICANTS WITH AND WITHOUT CLASS A OR B MEDICAL CONDITIONS

a. NO CLASS A OR CLASS B MEDICAL CONDITION: The panel physician should provide a copy of all medical examination forms and related worksheets to the alien. Aliens without a Class A or Class B medical condition are not required to present copies of their medical evaluation at the port of entry. In cases where the applicant has had a chest x-ray, you should instruct the panel physician to give the x-ray image(s) directly to the alien. If, however, the x-ray image(s) or CD-R is hand-carried or sent to the consular section, you must give the images to the applicant for their medical records. Instruct the alien to:

(1) Retain this x-ray image as an important record of his or her physical condition at the time of the medical examination; and

(2) Take the chest x-ray image(s) to the United States as part of his or her permanent health record.

b. CLASS A OR CLASS B MEDICAL CONDITION: At the time of visa issuance, attach, by staples, to the alien’s passport a sealed envelope containing the original and three copies of Form DS-2053, Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicants, and all related worksheets. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will collect the original form, give one copy to the alien and two copies to the USPHS/CDC Quarantine Station, which will keep one copy and send the other to CDC Headquarters. The envelope must be clearly marked “Medical Report (Form DS-2053 and related worksheets) enclosed.” Give to the applicant all available x-ray image(s) (in a CDC accepted format) pertaining to the case in a separate sealed envelope. Label the envelope:
For delivery by (alien’s name) to the (name of hospital agreed on) as soon as possible after entry into the United States.
Instruct the alien to:

(1) Retain the x-ray image(s) as an important record of his or her physical condition at the time of the medical examination; and

(2) Take the chest x-ray image(s) to the United States as part of his or her permanent health record.

Since these images are for follow-up evaluation purposes only, the alien need not hand-carry the x-ray image(s) for presentation at the port of entry.
I think the "please keep this with you for your use/records in the US" ends up being interpreted, quite understandably, as "have this ready to show at entry".
From the above, it seems to me to be quite clear that the X-ray is not at all required for POE purposes.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe
I think the "please keep this with you for your use/records in the US" ends up being interpreted, quite understandably, as "have this ready to show at entry".
Note that section 42.66 was most recently updated on 4/7/11, so I'm not sure when the "need not hand carry" section was added.

For a bit of historical perspective, the FAM has been revised over the years. When I entered the US the requirement was different... we were obligated to have the X-Ray on hand for inspection by the officer at the POE. True, they were never actually asked for even then, but the requirement to have them available was there... and this was long before they were made available on a CD!

Of course, this was years before 9/11... and the world was much simpler then! If things have since changed, then I'm delighted! As FG said, "One less thing to worry about!"

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

for the first time in our lives, we're not together on borrowed time. And it feels incredible.
For us. 3 months+ into Mike's arrival here, we are still feeling the bliss of not being on borrowed time! Enjoy each moment, they are precious
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Tokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikechristina
For us. 3 months+ into Mike's arrival here, we are still feeling the bliss of not being on borrowed time! Enjoy each moment, they are precious
Oh, we're all on borrowed time, but in your case it's no longer borrowed from US Immigration
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny 'cos the POE officers would have no clue as to whether a chest xray showed TB or not anyway! (Unless in the unlikely event that a qualified doctor or radiologist had taken a job as an IO!)