Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Lost passport with visa in it

Lost passport with visa in it

Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

tully1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost passport with visa in it

So I am in the process of getting my paperwork ready for the AOS from my K1 visa. For the AOS I need a copy of my K1 visa passport page but i don't have this.

I am wondering what i need to do to either get a copy of my visa or anything else

any help wold be fantastic
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost passport with visa in it

If you didn't make a photocopy of it yourself, then there is no copy out there. The visa can't be re-issued.

Include a copy of your I-94 and a written explanation of the list passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report for the lost passport.

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tully1987
So I am in the process of getting my paperwork ready for the AOS from my K1 visa. For the AOS I need a copy of my K1 visa passport page but i don't have this.

I am wondering what i need to do to either get a copy of my visa or anything else

any help wold be fantastic
I was in a similar position. I lost my passport with a H1B stamp enclosed. Here are some things I found out (anyone feel free to correct if I speak in error):

1) Only a US embassy can provide a VISA. You should inform the embassy immediately that it was lost and file a US police report (get a copy of the report). In my case, I did not go back to the London embassy, im filing for AOS (marriage to a US citizen) to get my greencard.

2) I hired a lawyer for the green card app and at the time, I did not have a copy of the VISA. He was not concerned with that in the least, however, he stressed the importance of the I94. I know they are electronic nowadays but I still have 10 copies just in case!

My old passport and VISA are essentially junk since they are both cancelled. A lesson for me was to keep a copy of all my paperwork, it relieves some stress in situations like this.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
.... 1) Only a US embassy can provide a VISA. ...
I got my VISA from my bank, perhaps you mean "visa".
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I got my VISA from my bank, perhaps you mean "visa".
Guilty as charged! I try and catch the iPhone autocorrect but that is a favorite of it to change. 📱
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty as charged! I try and catch the iPhone autocorrect but that is a favorite of it to change. 📱
Interesting - I didn't know iGadgets autocorrected "visa to "VISA".
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Interesting - I didn't know iGadgets autocorrected "visa to "VISA".
I just tested on the iPad, which would like me to use Vista instead of either visa variation. I should turn the feature off it bugs me to no end.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:35 pm

I just tested on the iPad, which would like me to use Vista instead of either visa variation. I should turn the feature off it bugs me to no end.
I have a different preferred fix for that: I have never bought an iGadget*.

* Little Miss P is required to have an iPad for school, so now the Pulaski household has one, solitary Apple product.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1) Only a US embassy can provide a VISA.
To clarify, visas are issued by the US Department of State. The US Embassy is not involved in visa issuance/creation at all. He'll need to inform the US Consular Service in London... not the Embassy.

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure it's worth notifying the Consular Service, anyway. ..a K1 visa can only be used once, and it's already been used.

The passport, yes, report it lost for sure.

Rene