lost green card!

Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:17 am
Just Joined

matthews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lost green card!

hi. first post here. i came to the states on a k1 visa in 2013, applied for permanent residency and got my two year green card in january 2014. today i was a complete idiot and lost that card in my wallet out and about. i know i need to get a new one. however, aren't i able to apply for the ten year green card within 3 or 6 months of the 2 year one expiring? i'm just thinking if it's worth waiting a few months and then getting the 10 year one. any thoughts appreciated
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost green card!

You need to apply to have the conditions on your green card removed within 90 days of your 2 year card expiring. This gives you the 10 year card. I'm about to do mine.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthews
hi. first post here. i came to the states on a k1 visa in 2013, applied for permanent residency and got my two year green card in january 2014. today i was a complete idiot and lost that card in my wallet out and about. i know i need to get a new one. however, aren't i able to apply for the ten year green card within 3 or 6 months of the 2 year one expiring? i'm just thinking if it's worth waiting a few months and then getting the 10 year one. any thoughts appreciated
I think you should report the loss first of all.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:02 am
Just Joined

that is form i-751 correct?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to let you know.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted without too much bother
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:13 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, form I-90 to replace a green card.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I-90 to replace the card.
I-751 to remove conditions.

Do you have a photocopy of the card? If so, you could probably wait and just remove conditions, as long as you don't anticipate running into the law or traveling abroad until you get your 10-year card in hand.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:26 am
Just Joined

well i have till november till i can remove conditions. and i'm not planning on going abroad or getting into trouble ha. the thing about the i-90 is that it is $450 and i do not have that money at all. so if i can just get by with my passport and my state id till november that is what i will do. i am a complete dummy. i do have a photocopy, yes.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go ahead and file a police report that it's lost, though. .. that way if someone finds it and tries to use it, they might not get away with it.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... if i can just get by with my passport and my state id till november that is what i will do.
The law requires you to carry your green card with you at all times as proof of your immigration status. That law, however, is largely unenforced... but it still exists. As Sugarmooma mentioned, you must report it as lost - it is, after all, a federal identification card... and you really don't want someone stealing your identity.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 10th 2015 at 12:23 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The law requires you to carry your green card with you at all times as proof of your immigration status. That law, however, is largely unenforced... but it still exists. As Sugarmooma mentioned, you must report it as lost - it is, after all, a federal identification card... and you really don't want someone stealing your identity.
... not that reporting the card as being lost / stolen will in any way prevent anyone from trying to "steal" your identity but yes, by all means go ahead and report it ...
Old Apr 10th 2015, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

eoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really nice

I think you should report it ASAP! I cant imagine losing my GC after all the effort I have put into getting it, having said that, and I read what Ian wrote, I refuse to carry mine around with me on a daily basis, I keep a photocopy in my wallet and that will just have to suffice. ( Ive never needed it, touch wood! )
Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eoyn
I think you should report it ASAP! I cant imagine losing my GC after all the effort I have put into getting it, having said that, and I read what Ian wrote, I refuse to carry mine around with me on a daily basis, I keep a photocopy in my wallet and that will just have to suffice. ( Ive never needed it, touch wood! )
Well, you're probably white...