Reload this Page >

lost copy I-864 - impending interview + poverty guidelines

Wikiposts

lost copy I-864 - impending interview + poverty guidelines

Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lost copy I-864 - impending interview + poverty guidelines

I have my interview on 7 August however I cannot locate a copy of the completed I-864EZform previously lodged. I would appreciate advice as to what I should do as it does not appear that I'll be able to show the copy of the original in the interview (presumably the consulate will have the original I-864 as lodged in any event?)

So as to refresh my memory, am I correct in thinking that the poverty guidelines are 125% of the threshold as set out, but that if my sponsor (my wife) cannot meet this then we would need to multiply the threshold three times and see if what assets she holds could cover this?

Many thanks peeps
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost copy I-864 - impending interview + poverty guidelines

Originally Posted by dolega
I would appreciate advice as to what I should do as it does not appear that I'll be able to show the copy of the original in the interview...
You aren't required to show a copy! If the officer has the original, ask him for a copy for yourself. You might also want to prepare a new I-864EZ to give to the officer if your situation has changed since the original submission.

... if my sponsor (my wife) cannot meet this then we would need to multiply the threshold three times and see if what assets she holds could cover this?
That is correct, yes. However, if she requires (for example) $18500 income but only makes $15000, she is short $3500. In that case, she'd need 3 x $3500 in assets to cover the difference. It's not "all or nothing".

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Ian for your help..
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

You can find details of what the poverty guidelines are here, so you know the figures to use: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml.

You say that if she can't show that she makes 125% of the poverty guideline, then "we would need to multiply the threshold three times and see if what assets she holds could cover this" That's not exactly correct. She needs to show that she has assets worth at least 5 times the difference between her income and the 125% of the poverty guidelines. For example, if 125% is $30,000, and her income is $20,000, she needs to show assets worth $50,000, i.e. 5 x $10,000.

See here for more information: http://martinvisalaw.blogspot.com/se...20of%20support
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emartin
You can find details of what the poverty guidelines are here, so you know the figures to use: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml.

You say that if she can't show that she makes 125% of the poverty guideline, then "we would need to multiply the threshold three times and see if what assets she holds could cover this" That's not exactly correct. She needs to show that she has assets worth at least 5 times the difference between her income and the 125% of the poverty guidelines. For example, if 125% is $30,000, and her income is $20,000, she needs to show assets worth $50,000, i.e. 5 x $10,000.

See here for more information: http://martinvisalaw.blogspot.com/se...20of%20support
If this is a married couple, amount of assets only needs to be 3 times the amount they would have needed in income.

If it's a Joint Sponsor (or for an Immigrant Visa for someone other than a spouse), then the assets need to be 5 times the amount.

This information is in the instructions for the I-864, Page 9, #29 Total Value of Assets, here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 8th 2009 at 7:09 am. Reason: added link
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emartin
She needs to show that she has assets worth at least 5 times the difference between her income and the 125% of the poverty guidelines.
No... not for a married couple. Only 3x is required for a married couple.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, 3x the difference in this case, sorry.