Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Lost Conditional Card, but filed I-751

Lost Conditional Card, but filed I-751

Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Lost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really nice
Default Lost Conditional Card, but filed I-751

I have lost my Conditional Green Card (which is exprired), but have filed form I-751 a few months ago. Do I need to file form I-90?

I know that the immigration officers require to see all documents, including the expired conditional card at the interview. What should I do? Will the fact that the card has been lost effect the officer's decision?

Thank you!!!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Conditional Card, but filed I-751

Originally Posted by Lost Card
I have lost my Conditional Green Card (which is exprired), but have filed form I-751 a few months ago. Do I need to file form I-90?

I know that the immigration officers require to see all documents, including the expired conditional card at the interview. What should I do? Will the fact that the card has been lost effect the officer's decision?

Thank you!!!
Did you report the loss to the police
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Lost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really niceLost Card is just really nice

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I did not yet - still hoping it will be found. Do you know by any chance how it will effect my present I-751 petition? I don't even have a stamp in a passport, as am not sure where to get it and how and if I need it at all.....
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I did not yet - still hoping it will be found. Do you know by any chance how it will effect my present I-751 petition? I don't even have a stamp in a passport, as am not sure where to get it and how and if I need it at all.....
Well thre I-751 can take in excess of a year to get ...
if you intend to travel ..most certainly you will need a replacement
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the immigration officers require to see all documents, including the expired conditional card at the interview.
*IF* you have an interview. Most I-751 applications seem to be approved without one.

Will the fact that the card has been lost effect the officer's decision?
No.

I did not yet - still hoping it will be found.
By law, you are required to carry proof of your immigration status at all times.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Ray and ian-mstm,

Thank you both of you for your time!!!

So, I am assuming I need to file a form I-90? What if I don't, but wait instead until I get a 10-year GC?

Can the Notice from the Immigration saying that the Green Card is valid for another year be a valid proof? I am just afraid if I file for another card, it will slow down the entire I-751 process....
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming I need to file a form I-90?
Just so you know, it can take up to a year for the I-90 to be processed.

What if I don't, but wait instead until I get a 10-year GC?
Likely, nothing bad will happen.

Can the Notice from the Immigration saying that the Green Card is valid for another year be a valid proof?
Without the actual card, the letter itself is not proof of your status. However, you must have both the expired card and the letter if you plan to travel outside the US. If you need to travel and don't have the card, you will likely need to make an InfoPass appointment and see if you can get an I-551 stamp in your passport. The stamp *is* proof of your status.

I am just afraid if I file for another card, it will slow down the entire I-751 process....
If you've already submitted the I-751, not having the card shouldn't have any adverse affect on the process.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you Ian!
God bless you

Yuo are saying that the stamp is a valid proof. What is the likelihood that it can be issued without the GC?

I was looking at other forum headlines and seems like no one had a similar situation..... Please if anyone was in my shoes, can you share your experiences on this matter?
God, I just realized no matter what decision me and my husband take (file or not to file) we are stuck in uncertainty for another year...
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Yuo are saying that the stamp is a valid proof.
The stamp *is* a valid green card... just of a different variety. The actual form number is the same.

What is the likelihood that it can be issued without the GC?
Pretty good I would think... as long as they can verify your status. They may want proof that you've applied for a replacement (not 100% sure on that, but it seems reasonable to assume)... so if you plan to travel, you might find yourself having to pay for the I-90 one way or another.

I just realized no matter what decision me and my husband take (file or not to file) we are stuck in uncertainty for another year...
Such is the life of an immigrant! Welcome to the club!

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Ian,

I see from your profile you have been an 'immigrant' for a while. Or you are beeing treated on this forum so nice, that you wouldn't leave?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,

I see from your profile you have been an 'immigrant' for a while. Or you are beeing treated on this forum so nice, that you wouldn't leave?

Thanks for all your help!
Good one.

Forget all that ya ya about I-90 and waiting a year. In response to your 'how do I get a stamp':

Make an InfoPass appointment at uscis.gov
Take that appointment letter, your passport, your extension letter (keep a photocopy safe at home) and the police report (keep a copy).

Most offices want you to have a darn good reason and no other proof of status, which is why I say to take the police report. You can certainly try without and let them scold you, just depends on how much hassle it is for you to get there (our office is a 10 min bike ride, *for now*).

The stamp you want is an "I-551 stamp". They may make it for 12 months, for the duration left on your extension letter or some random combination of their own (DH got 6 months because the officer figured he would have his new card by then). It's a very simple stamp, nothing fancy.
Don't worry!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

meauxna,

Thank you for such an inspirational reply!

For now, I can say 'phewww...'
I will do how you instructed and will let you know how it goes.

So, do do list:

1. Find a notice that the card is extended.
2. Get a police report
3. Make an InfoPass appointment
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

New To Do List:

1: start an immigration document folder and keep a copy of everything in there! Your extension letter is pretty important; it usually comes about a week after you file I-751.

Even without it, the officer will be able to look you up in the 'puter.

"Inspirational".. haven't been that for a while!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Hehe,

Will do. THANKS!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

I just realized my thread has '13' replies...am a little superstitious, so decided to bring it up to '14' and say another THANKS to everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.