Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

LOS ANGELES OFFICE TIMELINE

Wikiposts

LOS ANGELES OFFICE TIMELINE

Old Jun 4th 2002, 8:20 am
Dormonid

Default LOS ANGELES OFFICE TIMELINE

Hi, I just filed for AOS in the LA office and I would like to share my experience.
I'll keep this post updated as soon as I have new information on my case. If you are
planning on filing for anything in the LA INS office I highly recommend the
Immigration Legal Services on the 3rd. floor of the building - room 3107. They are
great and it really goes much faster! Here's what I have so far:

05/10/02 - GOT MARRIED
05/11/02 - FILED FOR AOS (IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES)
05/12/02 - RECEIVED I-130 APPROVAL, ALIEN # AND RECEIPT FOR WHAT I PAID FOR
IN THE MAIL

I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks.

M.

Old Jun 4th 2002, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LOS ANGELES OFFICE TIMELINE

Hey there,

I was wondering the following, how were you able to file the day after you got married? Don't you have to wait for the certified copy of the marriage license. I am getting married in July to an Alien and I was wondering how soon we could file after the wedding. I would like to hear more. Thanks.

Also the immigrtion legal services you reccomend (on the 3rd floor) what is it, an attorney or some sort of help office is it part of INS?

Thanks Ali

Last edited by Aliluv; Jun 5th 2002 at 4:08 am.
Old Jun 5th 2002, 5:20 pm
Dormonid

I did not file the day after I got married. I got married on May 10 and filed on May
28 that's 18 days later. Anyways, you do not have to wait for the certified copy of
the marriage certificate. The certificate you get when you get married is enough for
you to start the process, but the INS will want to see the certified copy later
during your AOS interview. You can get more information about the Immigration Legal
Services in this link:
http://www.lacba.org/ShowPage.cfm?Pa...ia=immigration

I hoped I helped,
M.

Aliluv <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I was wondering the following, how were you able to file the day after you got
    > married? Don't you have to wait for the certified copy of the marriage license. I
    > am getting married in July to an Alien and I was wondering how soon we could file
    > after the wedding. I would like to here more. Thanks.
    >
    > Also the immigrtion legal services you reccomend (on the 3rd floor) what is it, an
    > attorney or some sort of help office is it part of INS?
    >
    > Thanks Ali

Old Jun 6th 2002, 5:20 am
Hetal

This might be a stupi question but does AOS just mean filind with the INS. Did you
get maried to someone already in US or abord. Is there an office you can file for in
LA. I thought residance of CA had to file in the Laguna Niguel office. How were you
able to get your approval in 2 days where when I filed for my husaband who is abroad
at the Laguna Nigule office they said the process would take up to 815 - 825 days and
I am a US citizen.

[email protected] (DORMONID) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I did not file the day after I got married. I got married on May 10 and filed on
    > May 28 that's 18 days later. Anyways, you do not have to wait for the certified
    > copy of the marriage certificate. The certificate you get when you get married is
    > enough for you to start the process, but the INS will want to see the certified
    > copy later during your AOS interview. You can get more information about the
    > Immigration Legal Services in this link:
    > http://www.lacba.org/ShowPage.cfm?Pa...ia=immigration
    >
    > I hoped I helped,
    > M.
    >
    >
    > Aliluv <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hey there,
    > >
    > > I was wondering the following, how were you able to file the day after you got
    > > married? Don't you have to wait for the certified copy of the marriage license. I
    > > am getting married in July to an Alien and I was wondering how soon we could file
    > > after the wedding. I would like to here more. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Also the immigrtion legal services you reccomend (on the 3rd floor) what is it,
    > > an attorney or some sort of help office is it part of INS?
    > >
    > > Thanks Ali

Old Jun 6th 2002, 5:20 am
Andy Platt

"Hetal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > This might be a stupi question but does AOS just mean filind with the INS. Did you
    > get maried to someone already in US or abord. Is there

AOS is adjustment of status which starts by filing form I-485 with the proper
INS office.

> an office you can file for in LA. I thought residance of CA had to file in the
    > Laguna Niguel office. How were you able to get your

Immediate relative petitions for adjustment of status are filed with the local INS
office (exception: Baltimore, MD); when filing for AOS you can file an I-130
concurrently at the same office instead of waiting for the I-130 to be approved by
the service center first.

> approval in 2 days where when I filed for my husaband who is abroad at the Laguna
    > Nigule office they said the process would take up to 815 - 825 days and I am a US
    > citizen.

They didn't get approval in two days - it's just a receipt.

CSC give these larger times out because they don't separate other petitions from the
timeline. CSC are currently working on I-130IR petitions filed last August so about a
year is a good estimate. You can always file an I-129F so your husband can file for a
K-3 once you have the NOA from the I-130.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dormonid you helped.

The reason I though you filed the day after was you have the date you filed as 05/11/02 not 05/28/02 (up there) so I was confused.
I am very happy that I will not need the certified copy of the marriage cert until later that info was very helpful.

Ali