Wikiposts

Looking for some help

Old May 17th 2004, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

EvolverX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for some help

I'm hoping I've posted this in the right place! if not sorry for that!

I've been wanting to move to the USA for a few years now, I travel there 3 - 4 times a year and love being out there. I've now just started looking in to what needs to be done to move to the USA and hoping to find some help as I really have no idea where to start looking!

I would like to move out there as soon as I can, but not sure what visa I should be getting, my gf is an American citizen and we could do the K1 and get married once I'm out there... what I'm looking for is another route to take, is there a way I can just emigrate? I have the feeling the answer to that is no.
In a word I'd like to up and leave the UK and start a new life in the USA and looking for some help and info on what I need to do... the K1 visa is an option but at this time I'm just looking to see what other routes are available.

Sorry for all the questions in one post, I will be looking around in the forum to see if I can find any answers... I'm new to this and not sure what I'm looking for!

Thank you for your time and hope you can help!

K.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:16 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for some help

Originally posted by EvolverX

I've been wanting to move to the USA for a few years now, I travel there 3 - 4 times a year and love being out there. I've now just started looking in to what needs to be done to move to the USA and hoping to find some help as I really have no idea where to start looking!

I would like to move out there as soon as I can, but not sure what visa I should be getting, my gf is an American citizen and we could do the K1 and get married once I'm out there... what I'm looking for is another route to take, is there a way I can just emigrate? I have the feeling the answer to that is no.
In a word I'd like to up and leave the UK and start a new life in the USA and looking for some help and info on what I need to do... the K1 visa is an option but at this time I'm just looking to see what other routes are available.

Sorry for all the questions in one post, I will be looking around in the forum to see if I can find any answers... I'm new to this and not sure what I'm looking for!

K.
k1
Old May 18th 2004, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all

K.

Separate from the K-1, unless you have any other family members that would qualify you for U.S. immigration status, you are probably looking at some type of employment based option.

If you have a degree or an equivalency, and you have a job opportunity, perhaps you could qualify for an H-1B. If you currently work for a company that has a US location/branch/office and they are willing to transfer you to that location, perhaps you could qualify for an L-1. If you are interested in buying or investing and starting up your own business in the US, perhaps you could qualify for an E-2 investor visa (would need to be a serious business decision)

The K-1 is there if you are serious about your relationship and are comfortable going that route. If no, you should be looking at what employment based options may fit----H-1B, or L-1 or E-2 etc.

To learn more about these categories, feel free to see info/articles on our web site at www.srwlawyers.com

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
[email protected]
Old May 18th 2004, 2:33 am
Lucy

"EvolverX" <member24619@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In a word I'd like to up and leave the
    > UK and start a new life in the USA and looking for some help and info on
    > what I need to do... the K1 visa is an option but at this time I'm just
    > looking to see what other routes are available.

If you can find an employer willing to sponsor you and you have the
necessary qualifications, you could look into a work visa (H1B, for
example).

Or you could come as a student (e.g. F1).

Or if you have a lot of money you could invest it into a business (E1, I
think?)

Look at the list of visas at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/visas.htm
and see if you think you could qualify for anything.

Lucy

Old May 19th 2004, 3:48 am
Amanda

Why don't you make a visit (B-2 visa; can extend to another 6 months)
and see what kind of busines to open or even look for a job and chnage
to H-1 status. Some employer might even sponsor you for greencard.

There are a lot of people who come here on B-2 and then get onto
business or H-1. I think H-1B.

If you have ALREADY decided to marry and are serious about it, then
getting K1 and hence greencard would be the fastest way.

EvolverX <member24619@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm hoping I've posted this in the right place! if not sorry for that!
    >
    >
    > I've been wanting to move to the USA for a few years now, I travel
    > there 3 - 4 times a year and love being out there. I've now just
    > started looking in to what needs to be done to move to the USA and
    > hoping to find some help as I really have no idea where to start
    > looking!
    >
    > I would like to move out there as soon as I can, but not sure
    > what visa I should be getting, my gf is an American citizen and we could
    > do the K1 and get married once I'm out there... what I'm looking for is
    > another route to take, is there a way I can just emigrate? I have the
    > feeling the answer to that is no.
    > In a word I'd like to up and leave the
    > UK and start a new life in the USA and looking for some help and info on
    > what I need to do... the K1 visa is an option but at this time I'm just
    > looking to see what other routes are available.
    >
    > Sorry for all the
    > questions in one post, I will be looking around in the forum to see if I
    > can find any answers... I'm new to this and not sure what I'm looking
    > for!
    >
    > Thank you for your time and hope you can help!
    >
    > K.

Old May 19th 2004, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

EvolverX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help!
We have been talking about getting married, we both want to just not sure how to go about it all, marry 1st the apply or apply for the K1 then get married...
Old May 20th 2004, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all

Thank you for your help!
We have been talking about getting married, we both want to just not sure how to go about it all, marry 1st the apply or apply for the K1 then get married...

While it is not always the case, the K-1 is supposed to be faster processing than the K-3. Therefore, for speed, usually coming in on the K-1 and then getting married is faster than getting married and coming in on the K-3. That is just from an immigration perspective on speed of processing and getting to the U.S.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
[email protected]