Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Long Overdue Update on AOS

Long Overdue Update on AOS

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default Long Overdue Update on AOS

Hi All,

I apologise for not posting an update sooner, especially since my last thread was related to an RFE regarding my medical, and that it seems to be a common problem when transferring from a K-1 visa.

So, I decided in the end to go ahead and get a new medical done, upon the advice of people posting here. I had been reluctant as I had had a bad experiencewhen getting my original I-693 filled in.

I did a bit more research, and taking my sister with me for moral support found a new civil surgeon, and this one was fantastic. I turned up for my appointment and the place was clean and organised. I met with the nurse who took my blood samples, and also advised me on taking the TB spot test. I had the BCG vaccine against tuberculosis in high school, and she told me that having the regular skin test could cause a reaction due to having the vaccine, then I would have to have a chest x-ray, and that in some cases, even if the chest x-ray comes back clear the CDC recommend you seek treatment for latent TB. All of this for me is obviously unnecessary, and costly. So she advised I have a more expensive but more conclusive TB spot test done. This made the cost of my medical about $230, but worth it so I didnt have to go through everything else.

I returned the following week to meet with the Civil Surgeon, who was wonderful. In fact, so much different to London, where I felt like a piece of meat at a cattle market. She took her time, explained everything to me, and provided me with a personal copy of my paperwork via email, and the signed sealed envelope for USCIS, which I mailed back with my little RFE.

I had my scheduled fingerprint and photo appointment just before I received the RFE, which went incredibly well. Atlanta seems to have seperate biometrics center, which is really well set up with several banks of desks set up just to take fingerprints and photos. I was in and out within a half hour.

So, this is where I am up to. I returned my RFE with my medical envelope and heard nothing for a while. I then received a "Transfer Notice" which stated "This is to advise you that in order to speed up processing we have transferred the above case to the following USCIS office for processing: California Service Center" It sates that they will let me kow the outcome of my petition. I am assuming that this is a good thing, although it seems strange to me that order to speed up the process they move all my paperwork elsewhere?!

I have tracked my case online and it is still in the initial review stage, and I am hoping that the move to California will help it speed up, I returned my I-485 package in early February.

My next step while I am waiting is to begin investigating how to get my British passport changed to my married name now I am here in the US, as it is currently in my maiden name and all my AOS stuff was filed in my married name.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Overdue Update on AOS

I'm glad you had a better medical experience. Shame you had to do it all over again, but probably wise "not to fight city hall".

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
I had my scheduled fingerprint and photo appointment just before I received the RFE, which went incredibly well. Atlanta seems to have seperate biometrics center, which is really well set up with several banks of desks set up just to take fingerprints and photos. I was in and out within a half hour.
This is actually how most biometrics centers are set up. It's called an ASC office, and it's separate from the main USCIS office.

I then received a "Transfer Notice" which stated "This is to advise you that in order to speed up processing we have transferred the above case to the following USCIS office for processing: California Service Center" It sates that they will let me kow the outcome of my petition. I am assuming that this is a good thing, although it seems strange to me that order to speed up the process they move all my paperwork elsewhere?!
This is a good sign. It's common to have some cases transferred to CSC, where the backlog is less than your original service center. It's also common to have those CSC-transferred cases get approved without an interview! So you might just be getting the approval soon, without the hassle of an interview, which would compensate for the hassle of the extra medical. LOL

Thanks for the update!

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101

This is a good sign. It's common to have some cases transferred to CSC, where the backlog is less than your original service center. It's also common to have those CSC-transferred cases get approved without an interview! So you might just be getting the approval soon, without the hassle of an interview, which would compensate for the hassle of the extra medical. LOL

Thanks for the update!

Rene
Hooray, I love when we have good signs. I am hoping that my approval comes through before the middle of May. I have a beautiful new niece who is having a naming ceremony on May 23rd that we desperately want to go to!

The hassle of an extra medical was a pain, and costly, but I guess trying to get London to give me anything would have been more painful. Plus I like knowing I am disease free!

Will post more when I know more. I am really grateful to this site for helping me get through all this!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:01 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

As you know we had the same RFE for a medical for my husbands K1 a year ago and just decided to get another medical instead of fighting City Hall. The RFE was after his case was transferred from Vermont to California though. Anyway about three weeks after we sent the new medical info back his greencard came in the mail. No interview. Hope the same happens with you and you get a nice surprise after all the stress and hassle!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:06 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt send in an i-693 with out AOS packet, we were nearly a year late into filing it. It never came up in interview or RFE'd to us, What a nightmare. I am glad this round went better for you!