Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Long Overdue, But An Update of my K-1 Process

Wikiposts

Long Overdue, But An Update of my K-1 Process

Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default Long Overdue, But An Update of my K-1 Process

Hello All,

So profuse apologies for taking so long to update my threads and also share my experience of late, since moving to the USA life has been pretty hectic trying to plan our wedding, which is fast approaching, as well as deal with family, thanksgiving and friends weddings/birthdays etc.

So, firstly, following my K1 approval, and my stress (which found its way onto here) about my slightly damaged Brown Envelope from the Embassy, I ultimately had a pretty easy arrival here in the US. Apart from stomach flu the day before I left the UK

The experience in itself was pretty simple. Having checked in at the desk (I had my fiance with me when I moved) and letting them know I was travelling on my visa (which they also scanned as well as my passport in the initial passport security screening whilst waiting in line) we were all checked in and made our way up to airport security. Apart from the usual airport annoyances (I hate going through security, especially when I have my laptop, phone, camera etc etc) everything was a pretty easy run. We boarded, and got to sit up front in business (which was fab....although having stomach flu the day before meant I couldnt take full advantage of the nice wine and what not ) and although I made a mistake filling in my white form - first time I ever made a mistake on any of those things! - we arrived into Atlanta on time.

Once we got off the plane, we inquired with several of the CPB officers helping direct people which line I would have to join, I was told that I could join my fiance in the US citizens and residents line. Which was great as the line for the visitors was huge, ad we got to te front pretty quickly. Our CPB agent was fab, and processed my fiance, and then me, and gave me a clear envelope to put my brown envelope, x-ray and passport in and directed me to the holding room. We asked if my fiance needed to come with, and he said it wouldnt hurt, so we entered the mysterious green holding room.

For the next hour or so we watched several people in the line ahead of us get processed, there were several people there with their children, or people coming over for work purposes, but they all seemed to have some complication with their paperwork or something missing so me, of course being a worrier began to panic. Also they seemed to be somewhat understaffed, with one of the guys looking like he was relatively new. However I need not have worried.

I was called up to the front, the guy having ripped open my Embassy Brown Envelope, and checked through several of the documents. He typed some things in the computer and asked me a few questions, such as do I know what I need to do once we're married, and well, I seemed to know more than him, which surprised him I think, and with a stamp in my passport and a date on the I-94 of something like January 11th and sent us on our way with a smile, and joke about how if my fiance hadnt already snapped me up he would have done!

And with that I was officially here!

Now all we have to do is finish planning the wedding, and get the AOS paperwork filled in (I feel sure I am going to post about that once I have done this!)

I hope sharing my experience has helped out some, and put some minds at rest for people getting ready to move over.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Overdue, But An Update of my K-1 Process

ajms,

Good for you to ask, and it seems clear why you were directed to the USC/LPR lines. (Which is why I grimace every time I see posters advise questioners that they must use the visitor lines - let's use some common sense.)

Welcome to the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
Once we got off the plane, we inquired with several of the CPB officers helping direct people which line I would have to join, I was told that I could join my fiance in the US citizens and residents line. Which was great as the line for the visitors was huge,
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Overdue, But An Update of my K-1 Process

yay congrats, and thanks for your account! good to see someone else Georgia-bound also
xx