Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Medical Report - Note for those taking kids

Wikiposts

London Medical Report - Note for those taking kids

Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default London Medical Report - Note for those taking kids

Hi All,

Having read so many reports of medicals over the last few weeks I thought it would only be right to report our experience. But do note that we took small kids with and most USC's will be able to pass on US citizenship to their kids unlike me and therefore their kids wouldnt need a medical.

Brief catch up - I have filed for IR-1 for my wife and IR-2 for the kids, their cases are linked.

Medical date: Jan 20th 2010 at 9.50am. at Bentinck (sp?) Mansions

We travelled by underground - no easy feat with a buggy yuch! - and despite having printed maps and walking guides, and asking many people got very lost. Thankfully we got out the station 25 mins before the appointment because the 5 minute guideline of getting to the office took us the full 25 minutes. Perhaps we are just awful at directions (and we did print out others instructions) but we just kinda stumbled on the place by accident so can't really advise how to prevent our mistake.

So, to get into the surgery you have to climd 6 or 7 steps, no ramp, so buggy got carried yet again. Once inside we handed in the passports, the forms that had to be filled in and the photos and were asked to go to the waiting room.... where we waited for 50 minutes until we were handed another form, which was the form (not sure of the number) that gets sent to the embassy. Once again we had to answer all the questions that went on the form that came with us (not quite sure why the original form is required).

Once that was done, it was a further 30 minute wait where we were all taken to see the nurse, who explained **** PARENTS OF KIDS under 18 PLEASE NOTE *** that even though on the required vaccination list it says that kids over 59 months don't need a flu jab - they now require anyone under 18 to have it, so poor kids all had to have their jabs. Apart from that the nurse complimented us on having everything else in order and for being prepared (thanks forum!)

We then waited another long while till we all went in to dr, the kids were seen one a time, height, weight, eye sight (my 5 year old struggled with that part as he's just learning the letters but that was ok!) - then lay down, a tongue compressor thingy (flavoured - the kids loved them) to check throat, checked ears, listened to chest, felt tummy and (I know they have to do this but it just seemed weird) had a "peek to check your really a boy / girl). Once that was done we all left and my wife had same exams plus her breasts got checked (female doc!) and a more thorough medical history questions asked. She then had her x ray (kids dont need x rays).

We paid (something like £540 - sheesh) and 3 hours (!) after arriving we left.

As we were leaving the dr came over to us to say that everything was ok and that the embassy would be getting the stuff on Monday.

Still waiting for our interview date!

Met some lovely ladies who had come down from Newcastle to have the medical and had a nice chat with them too.

Thats about it. Any questions feel free to ask!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Medical Report - Note for those taking kids

There is a map in the Embassy 'medical letter' pdf: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cal_letter.pdf

The doctors didn't accept the form attached in that pdf? Weird. And irritating.

Glad you all survived it.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
There is a map in the Embassy 'medical letter' pdf: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cal_letter.pdf

The doctors didn't accept the form attached in that pdf? Weird. And irritating.

Glad you all survived it.
We had the map with us, thought we followed it, but maybe with the kids and having dragged the buggy up and down we just weren't focussed enough!

Its not that they didnt accept it - but anything we put on it , height, weight, etc, and all the answers we had ticked or crossed, we had to fill in again (or the dr did the height, weight herself and didnt use the form we fillled in). Just can't really see the point of that form!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Funny my medical post says something like 'we filled out a form but it was identical to the one we filled out prior to the medical'

Perhaps they check to see if you arent cheating!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:25 pm
S4C
Just Joined

S4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really niceS4C is just really nice

Originally Posted by frank09
Hi All,

Having read so many reports of medicals over the last few weeks I thought it would only be right to report our experience. But do note that we took small kids with and most USC's will be able to pass on US citizenship to their kids unlike me and therefore their kids wouldnt need a medical.

Brief catch up - I have filed for IR-1 for my wife and IR-2 for the kids, their cases are linked.

Medical date: Jan 20th 2010 at 9.50am. at Bentinck (sp?) Mansions

We travelled by underground - no easy feat with a buggy yuch! - and despite having printed maps and walking guides, and asking many people got very lost. Thankfully we got out the station 25 mins before the appointment because the 5 minute guideline of getting to the office took us the full 25 minutes. Perhaps we are just awful at directions (and we did print out others instructions) but we just kinda stumbled on the place by accident so can't really advise how to prevent our mistake.

So, to get into the surgery you have to climd 6 or 7 steps, no ramp, so buggy got carried yet again. Once inside we handed in the passports, the forms that had to be filled in and the photos and were asked to go to the waiting room.... where we waited for 50 minutes until we were handed another form, which was the form (not sure of the number) that gets sent to the embassy. Once again we had to answer all the questions that went on the form that came with us (not quite sure why the original form is required).

Once that was done, it was a further 30 minute wait where we were all taken to see the nurse, who explained **** PARENTS OF KIDS under 18 PLEASE NOTE *** that even though on the required vaccination list it says that kids over 59 months don't need a flu jab - they now require anyone under 18 to have it, so poor kids all had to have their jabs. Apart from that the nurse complimented us on having everything else in order and for being prepared (thanks forum!)

We then waited another long while till we all went in to dr, the kids were seen one a time, height, weight, eye sight (my 5 year old struggled with that part as he's just learning the letters but that was ok!) - then lay down, a tongue compressor thingy (flavoured - the kids loved them) to check throat, checked ears, listened to chest, felt tummy and (I know they have to do this but it just seemed weird) had a "peek to check your really a boy / girl). Once that was done we all left and my wife had same exams plus her breasts got checked (female doc!) and a more thorough medical history questions asked. She then had her x ray (kids dont need x rays).

We paid (something like £540 - sheesh) and 3 hours (!) after arriving we left.

As we were leaving the dr came over to us to say that everything was ok and that the embassy would be getting the stuff on Monday.

Still waiting for our interview date!

Met some lovely ladies who had come down from Newcastle to have the medical and had a nice chat with them too.

Thats about it. Any questions feel free to ask!

I dont quite understand how you could have lost ? We had our medical last tuesday . It was me and my 3 kids one is in a buggy , but luckily my oldest is a a very strong capable boy and he carried the folded buggy for the tube transitions. From Bond street tube station you just cross the the other side of bond street then marlyebone lane is on your right and you just follow that up untill you reach bentick which is right on the corner. Its a little trickier right now as there is some roadworks/ blocked pavements. But I was shocked at just how easy it was to find.

And We didnt really have to wait long there either - we were very early because it was so easy to find so i had done all the paperwork stuff before our appointment time. They were awesome - the they were having work done so they showed us into the smaller waiting room with the toy box so my youngest could play and not get hurt by the workmen.

But my kids thought it was big adventure ! The radiologist was Lovely, we had a female doctor she was very quick. The nurse discussing the vaccinations was awesome. Our appointment was for 1pm we got there 30-40 minutes early but then all four of us - me and 3 kids were done and dusted by 2:20pm . The only thing is it seemed even odder to part with nearly 500 pounds for the privilige ! ha

After we just hopped on the tube and spent the rest of the day at the natural history museum. It was a lovely day out save from a couple of rude incosiderate ppl on the tube. In fact the day after my 8 year old daughter looked very sad in the morning when i asked her why so sad? she said she didnt want to go to school she wants to go back to london instead ! heh