Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Medical Experience

Wikiposts

London Medical Experience

Old May 11th 2002, 8:20 am
Gavin.McCormack

Default London Medical Experience

Hi. My experience from Thursday follows as best I can remember.

Arrived early at Dr Phelans. One other person there before me. Queue built to around
25 people. Many were doing K1, some doing other types of visa. We were all ushered in
at 8am promptly. Handed a folder with an set of instructions. You were to place
inside the folder the following documents.

One photograph...they weren't fussy about ADIT or passport style Your passport The
medical questionairre that came with the last packet. Any vaccination records Any
documents related to the medical

This was handed in to reception after you had signed a consent form for the blood
test. The order it was handed in in, did not seem to matter. The (awful) tannoy,
called out a name.......I was second to be called. I went to reception and was asked
to pay my £125 for the medical (credit card or cash were fine). I went downstairs to
the smaller room, after informing the reception staff about my needle phobia. They
were very nice about it. The nurse was also incredibly nice about it too. Quite happy
to make it as easy as possible for me even if inconveniencing herself. The blood test
room is small. She had my blood drawn is a matter of 3 seconds..no pain.....no
fuss.....amazing. She asked me to verify the sample taken was labelled with my own
name. She chatted and was very friendly.

I was then called through to the next part. The xray. We were taken through in pairs
(both male). 4-6 cubicles awaited us, each with adequate louvre doors for privacy.
Myself, the other guy, and the radiographer all chatted and joked....again very
friendly. Again I was second. I overheard what the other guy was being asked to
do...seemed simple to me. My turn came and I soon found it was simple. Still naked
from the waist up, I was asked if I had ever had a chest xray before. I hadn't and
he proceeded. I have no idea what happens if you have (sorry). You are asked to
stand against a square plate...facing it. You rest your head on the metal top edge
of it with your hands behind you. You hold in them a square vinyl pad...I pressume
lead in some way. He asks you on his count to breathe in...hold.....then breathe
out.....and it is over in 5 seconds again. He handed me my rolled up xray in a brown
envelope and told me I needed to keep it with my hand luggage when travelling for
the customs officer. For any women reading this....I heard a girl I was speaking to
later say she had a female doctor do the medical later, even though we had a
man...as to the radiographer....she never said. So it appeared the actual medical
used a female doctor for the women there and us guys got a guy. I ain't sure if the
same applies about the radiographer....but he seemed ok to me....if a little bit
exhuberant about his role.

We then were told to wait in our cubicle for the doctor...staying naked waist up (no
idea about the women). The doctor called us in individually. When I went in, he
appeared a grumpy older guy...not rude but just curt and uninterested..very to the
point basically. He asked me about my general health. He then looked over my medical
questionairre...queried me about being a smoker...then said it wont matter in any
way...just wanted to know how many a day. Honesty is advised. He then took my blood
pressure...fine. Then checked my throat, ears and eyes. All this took about 3
seconds, and was so fast I wondered if he had taken any time to actually look around.
He then checked my chest front and back with a stethoscope. I was then asked to lay
on the couch and to unbutton my jeans a little. He put some gentle pressure on both
sides of my lower abdomen...checking for hernias I assumed. He then asked me to
straighten my leg then raise it as high as I could. He felt around behind my knee,
then asked me to bend the knee, and lower the whole leg. Both legs this was done
with. I have no idea why. Then he asked me to sit down again, spoke to me briefly,
and told me to make my way to the Embassy. I was so surprised this was all over so
quickly I had to ask him to confirm I was done. I got dressed and left.......cutting
my finger on either my bag or the door as I did so. I thanked the reception staff and
they wished me luck.

All in all I was out very quickly but remember I was econd to be called through
luckily. The girl before me was in first and called last. At the Embassy later (about
11.40am) when I saw her next, she informed me that as she was last, when leaving the
doctors, they asked her to carry all the medical reports over to the Embassy...she
said they were heavy...just a little side note.

I was out of there by around 9pm. The medical was a total breeze and it was my most
feared part beforehand. So anyone doing it soon or whatever...relax as much as you
can about it.

Hope my medical experience helps someone. I will post my Interview later separately.

Good Luck G

Old May 11th 2002, 8:20 am
Stimpy

Default Re: London Medical Experience

gavin.mccormack wrote...

<snip long carefully detailed medical questionnaire>

thanks for that Gavin, i'm going for this myself in the beginning of June, it sounds
much easier than i thought it would be.

James

16 Feb 2002 I129f sent to NSC 1 Mar 2002 1st NOA 4 Apr 2002 2nd NOA 4 Apr 2002 Sent
downloaded Packet 3 forms to US Embassy in London 22 Apr 2002 Received Packet 4 with
Interview Date 7 Jun 2002 Visa Interview in London 21 Jun 2002 Planned Wedding Date

Old May 11th 2002, 9:20 am
Stimpy

Default Re: London Medical Experience

I wrote...
    > gavin.mccormack wrote...
    >
    > <snip long carefully detailed medical questionnaire
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i meant experience, of course,
just been going through my questionnaire so
it was on my mind.

James