Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London medical exam experience (July 2019)

London medical exam experience (July 2019)

Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:14 am
Just Joined

mrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond repute
Post London medical exam experience (July 2019)

I hope this summary of my experience can help others on this forum as much as this resource has helped me.

Short version: an uneventful medical with super nice doctors who put my mind at ease throughout.

Long version:

I arrived at 4 Bentwick Mansions around half an hour early so I sat on the steps across the road at the church for twenty minutes before proceeding into the building ten minutes early (I half considered visiting the pub across the road but decided this wasn’t in the spirit of the occasion).

There is a Visa Medicals sign on the large double doors of the building with instructions on which buzzer to press. I pushed the indicated buzzer and the door unlocked straight away. I then proceeded to the first door on the right (again clearly marked Visa Medicals).

From there the friendly receptionist asked for my name to confirm my appointment and asked for my documents (which are listed in explicit detail on the email I received when I booked my appointment):
  • My passport
  • 4 passport photos (US or UK style)
  • My completed medical questionnaire (a link to this is present in the confirmation email or on the embassy website)
  • A letter confirming my case number and visa category (I used my confirmation of visa petition from the US Embassy in London)
  • Recent ACRO police certificate
  • Medical summary (see notes below for more details on this)
  • Immunisation records
Note: you get your passport and police certificate back at the end. The receptionist also asked if I wanted a photocopy of my medical summary/immunisations but I’d copied these beforehand and so I declined.

After photocopying all the documentation/sticking photos on files etc, the receptionist gave me a receptacle for the urine sample and a longer questionnaire to fill in. I proceeded to the waiting room, filled in the form (mostly tick boxes), then went to the bathroom (for the urine sample). I handed both to the receptionist who instructed for me to sit in the waiting room until I was called.

Around 15 minutes later I was called by the first doctor.

The doctor outlined what would happen on the day; a quick chat and examination performed by himself, a consultation on immunisations and finally, a chest X-ray - performed by different doctors.

We had a quick chat about my medical history, I’m lucky to have nothing significant to report, and was asked simple yes/no questions about whether I had any drinking problems, mental health issues, or any drug use.

One thing to note on this, the doctor made me feel really relaxed and comfortable during these questions - I think in my mind I’d built this event up so much that I expected some kind of interrogation. This was not the case at all. The doctor was friendly and chatty and before I knew it, the questions were answered and I was up on the bed for a quick jag (to take some blood) and an examination of my abdomen and chest. After this, the doctor performed a simple eye test and a blood pressure reading. He finished by saying that he had no concerns and that I should go back to the waiting room where his colleague would call me.

Another ten minutes and I was called into a different room where a really friendly doctor went through my immunisation records and noticed my doctor had forgotten to include a record of my tetanus immunisation. She noted that this was strange and that she was 100% sure I’d have had this done as a child but that since it wasn’t on my records, I’d have to have her administer it or go back to my GP to get it done. Since I didn’t want to prolong the process I opted to have it done there and then for a £40 fee.

Another side note from the perpetual worrier (aka me): when the doctor said there was a missing immunisation my heart sank, thinking this might be a big issue. I needn’t have worried, the doctor was more concerned that my GP had missed this on my records and assured me they are fully prepared to fulfil any missing immunisation requirements. I am aware that the fee is not cheap but I wanted to note this in case it puts anyone's mind at ease.

In retrospect, I should really have booked an appointment with my GP prior to the medical to go through the requirements - available online in a form that only a doctor could understand.

After administering the tetanus jab the doctor kindly said she’d check if her colleague was free to carry out the chest x-ray so that I could go straight through. It must have been my lucky day, as he was.

After a quick, friendly introduction I was asked to remove my t-shirt and stand against a screen. The doctor asked me to hold a deep breath, then took an X-ray of my chest. He showed me the result on his computer screen and told me it looked fine and I should put my shirt back on. He then told me I was all done and that I should return to the waiting room for one last time!

After around ten minutes of waiting, the receptionist asked me to step over to the window to pay and collect my documents. I paid by card - £350 (new price) for the standard medical, plus £40 for the missing tetanus, so £390 in total. I was then handed a form, marked important do not lose, that outlined that the immunization requirements were met, along with my original documents (passport and police certificate).

I thanked the receptionist for her help, walked out the door, sighed a big sigh of relief and wondered what I'd made a fuss about. The whole process took around an hour and a half.

* Note on medical summary/patient care summary

I'd never have known this was a requirement if it wasn't for this forum. Sure it's listed as a requirement on the confirmation of appointment email from the medical centre, but at that point, you may not have much time to acquire it. To get this document I popped into my GP, asked for a patient care summary and was told I couldn't get this over the counter and would have to email the GP office. They gave me the email address I needed and I promptly sent said email stating my personal details and a request for my patient care summary and immunisation records. They emailed back the next day to tell me the documents would be waiting in reception for me - ideal.

Final point. My experience is obviously entirely subjective but I hope it provides some useful information and opinion. On to booking my embassy interview!

Steve
Old Jul 16th 2019, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London medical exam experience (July 2019)

A lovely first post, Mr. Chips. Welcome to BE and for being a lurker and now participant.

Your write up of the medical was perfect and will help so many in the future who have the jitters about their upcoming medicals. You have put many minds at peace.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

mrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond reputemrchips has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rete! Glad I can give back to this awesome resource. Cheers.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 10:27 am
Just Joined

LakeTahoe18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for posting this information, it's greatly appreciated. My fiancee and I are at this stage now as well, so I have a few follow-up questions:
1. Did the doctors require your full patient records or only the summary? I've just called my GP and it will take a few weeks for the full ones.
2. Did you book your medical appointment before knowing when your interview will be? That is, you have only been able to schedule your interview after the medical instead of prior to it. We have conflicting information, so would like to know how a recent applicant has tackled this.
Thanks for your help!
Hannah
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Hannah, no problemo, glad to help.

1. You definitely don't need full patient records. The exact wording from the confirmation email I received was as follows:

Summary of medical history from GP (NOT full medical records) and reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities, and prior serious illnesses you have been treated for or anything ongoing.
As I mentioned, I went to my GP and asked for a patient care summary and they knew exactly what this was. The actual title on the single piece of A4 paper they gave me back said "Patient incident report" so maybe it isn't very standardised.

2. I didn't book my interview before the medical as my situation is one where we are not in a rush (my wife's company would like us there at the end of September). I'm no expert and the moderators of this forum are by far the better people to answer your question with 100% accuracy but I will say this: there are notices on the walls in the medical office that state that it takes 5 days for them to send the results to the US Embassy (to be available for your interview) and that you can book your interview before having the medical but you should leave more than this 5 day window in between. There are also notices that state that if you have booked your interview for a date before the medical (probably not advised) then you should attend the interview but be aware that they will not approve your visa until they get the medical results.

So, as far as I have seen, you can 100% book the interview before attending the medical. Just book it for a date after said medical that allows for the processing and delivery time. In my case, I've booked my interview for the end of July.

I hope that helps Hannah and good luck with everything!

Steve.

Last edited by mrchips; Jul 19th 2019 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Clarify a point.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for going into the effort to respond to my questions, it's all very useful. We are also not in a hurry, we don't actually want the interview to be until mid-September. Although this is cutting it close to the 4-month deadline since the decision (but which can still be extended).

All the best with your application and eventual move as well.

Thanks again,
Hannah
Old Jul 20th 2019, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can go either way - book medical and then apt or book apt and then the medical. One thing to note is that the visa, when approved, is only good for six months from the date of the medical not six months from the date of the approval of the visa. So plan wisely.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rete! That's useful! Hannah
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

alilbabba is an unknown quantity at this point

Suuuuper helpful post mrchips! Thank you so much as UKC husband is about to schedule his medical.