Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London K1 visa success!! (long post)

London K1 visa success!! (long post)

Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:57 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default London K1 visa success!! (long post)

After the obligatory early start, for once London Transport came through for me, and I found myself outside Dr Phelan’s at 7.15. As it was a chilly autumn morning, I considered going for a cup of tea, but changed my mind as the queue rapidly lengthened to about 20 people. At 8.05 am the door was opened with a cheery, “Good morning!� As we went in, we were handed the now familiar pink folders, into which we had to place our passports, photo, completed medical questionnaire and vaccination record, and hand it in at the reception desk. We were called over the barely-audible intercom, and then the pain began. All £125-worth of it in medical fees! They take all major credit and debit cards. Then off downstairs with the documents now transferred to green folders, which had to be placed in receptacles on the wall. Just about everyone missed the sign that tells you this, and we set up a bit of banter, as well as some group bonding, which stood us in good stead for later in the day.

The nurse called me in and painlessly removed a syringe-full of my blood, and soon afterwards I got to meet Paul, the X-Ray guy. He gave me a paper gown and asked me to strip waist to chin, and the conversation went like this:
Paul: Ok, I’m just going to do a little chest X-Ray.
Me: You must be Paul, then.
Paul: Why? How do you know???
Me: You know how I know (giggles)
Paul: British Expats? (laughs)
He said that just in the last few weeks, he has been cornered by BritishExpats interviewees who know him by name. He seemed quite chuffed! After the X-Ray, a nice lady doctor took my blood pressure, listened to my chest and asked a few questions. That was then end of the medical, I was given the X-Ray in its brown paper roll. Time by then was about 9.15.

Onto the American Embassy. I did the obligatory queue-jumping, more banter with the bouncer (security guard .. lol) who said “You’re late!� when I told him I had queue-jumped because my letter gave me a 8.01 appointment. Then trouble struck. After security checks, I was directed to the wrong place – the non-immigrant visa office, which is on the left of the security desk. For K1 visas, you need the immigrant visa office ……. Grrrrrr … got there eventually, and met up with the friendly group from the doctor’s! We all sat together – safety in numbers, and swapped our stories. Each had a different, and fascinating, story to tell, and none of them knew about British expats or any of the newsgroups! We handed our appointment letters in at the desk, and sat waiting and waiting. That is the worst part about the day – lots of sitting around waiting. There were four K1 visa applicants from Dr Phelan’s, and a few more, plus two K3 applicants and also work-related visa applicants. Our crowd was definitely the rowdiest! Everyone kept turning around and looking at us, we felt like the naughty kids at school!

Eventually, the consular officer called me up to the desk, and asked for my passport, photos, payment slip, birth certificate, divorce certificate, and police certificate, with copies, plus the affidavit of support. I also gave the supporting documents for that (Kurt’s employer’s letter and bank letter.) More waiting – and laughing. Then another officer called me over to the desk, and I had to swear to tell the truth. He asked me how Kurt and I had met, and smiled when I said via the internet. They must hear that a lot! He asked if Kurt had been here (yes, twice) and if I had been to the US (three times) and what I thought of Arkansas. He was from there himself! So we chatted a bit about the towns there, and about Bill Clinton, who comes from Little Rock. He also had a Razorbacks mug behind his desk (the local sports team.) He asked if Kurt had lived in Arkansas all his life, I replied no, and mentioned where he was born. It sounded so casual the way he asked it, like part of a friendly conversation, yet I glanced down to see our original I-129F petition in front of him and caught him looking at the name of the town where Kurt was born. Not that he was unfriendly, far from it. He then said everything is fine, come back at 12.30 for the blood test results! Phew!

Now, I had intended to go out to Starbucks or something, but our little K1 group had bonded so nicely, and gave each other terrific support as we each went up to the desk two times, that we all ended up staying inside the embassy the whole time! As 12.30 approached, we all started to really feel nervous. I had been one of the first of us to be interviewed by Mr Razorback, but as each member of the group was called back and issued with their Mysterious Brown Envelope, I started to panic. Why was I being left till last? Was I infected with some terrible communicable disease and unable to be let loose amongst the American people? The other, extremely kind, K1-ers stuck around for me until, finally, I got the fabulous visa as well!! Yayyyy!!!!

All laughing and joking as we left the embassy, each went our separate ways and phoned our loved ones. All in all a great day, with lots of waiting and my advice would be, talk to the other people, it helps the day go even better!!

Debbie
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:13 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

You didn't use the docs toilet then?

When I had my X Ray we were all told clearly to only strip to the waist but one guy, whose English might not have been too good, got told "no, I said only to the waist" as he came out for his X Ray.

I didn't see sadly because I was in the next cubicle and he had retreated quickly back into his by the time I looked.

Really great news Debbie

John
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London K1 visa success!! (long post)

Debbie

Great news, we have followed your story from the start and are so pleased for you. It's funny but when you read the posts about London interviews, having been there myself, I still get a wonderful feeling of euphoria reliving the memory of that day.

I, as many who have gone through your experience, know exactly how you are feeling right now.

Rob

PS: Holly crap wait until you see all the other paperwork you have to do for EAD, SS#, AOS, AP lol....................only kidding
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:20 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gasherjohn
You didn't use the docs toilet then?

When I had my X Ray we were all told clearly to only strip to the waist but one guy, whose English might not have been too good, got told "no, I said only to the waist" as he came out for his X Ray.

I didn't see sadly because I was in the next cubicle and he had retreated quickly back into his by the time I looked.

Really great news Debbie

John
Thanks John! Yes, I did use the toilet - couldn't miss an opportunity like that!!! It is like a hobbit-hole - not so good if you are taller than five foot two!!!

Debbie
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

Fabulous, I've been checking the forums periodically today to see if you'd posted any good news yet.

Congratulations.

Kay
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:22 pm

Originally posted by robclews
Debbie

Great news, we have followed your story from the start and are so pleased for you. It's funny but when you read the posts about London interviews, having been there myself, I still get a wonderful feeling of euphoria reliving the memory of that day.

I, as many who have gone through your experience, know exactly how you are feeling right now.

Rob

PS: Holly crap wait until you see all the other paperwork you have to do for EAD, SS#, AOS, AP lol....................only kidding
Thanks Rob - other paperwork??? Nobody told me!!! ... only kidding -- at least I will be with Kurt for that, and he can help me out!

Debbie

PS he still hasn't bought the all-zone DVD player you recommended yet :lecture:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dbark
Thanks Rob - other paperwork??? Nobody told me!!! ... only kidding -- at least I will be with Kurt for that, and he can help me out!

Debbie

PS he still hasn't bought the all-zone DVD player you recommended yet :lecture:

Well when you turn up with your UK DVD's then i'm sure he will.

Rob
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:28 pm
Wales is next to England

Originally posted by robclews
Well when you turn up with your UK DVD's then i'm sure he will.

Rob
I brought my notebook pc and play my dvd's on that. It's more intimate that way

Debbie, your comment about the hobbit-hole made me wonder if you were starting another thread on toilet humour

John
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Debbie! Good luck with the move, not long now

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th
NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th
Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th
Interview date September 2nd
Got the Visa!!!
Moved to the USA September 5th

Wedding date November 1st
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:40 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!! The long wait's finally over for you!!!! Always nice to see a pleasant experience at the Embassy in my home country!!!!

Sincere congrats to you both, Debbie!!!!!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Sep 24th 2003, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

kwallocha is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Debbie!!!! I guess we are two happy girls right now. lol

Wish you all the best.

Katja
Old Sep 24th 2003, 4:23 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hooray for Debbie and Kurt!

Hi there,
I've been thinking about you all day. Congratulations to you both---I remember almost a year ago when you had just started your process. Here's to a long and happy live together.....you both deserve it.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink (day 118, NSC)
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:42 pm

Originally posted by Gasherjohn
I brought my notebook pc and play my dvd's on that. It's more intimate that way

Debbie, your comment about the hobbit-hole made me wonder if you were starting another thread on toilet humour

John
Hmmmmm ... I'll leave that up to the boys!

Nicola - Thanks - and how are the wedding plans coming along? We have decided to get married here:

http://www.ozarkcave.com/

SecretGarden & Mr Pink, Katja and Kate - Thank you for your good wishes. Everyone on here has been so supportive and I love you all! (or most anyway .....)

PS been drinking champagne, can you tell????

Debbie
Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:04 pm
Wales is next to England

Default Champagne and websites

Originally posted by dbark
We have decided to get married here:

http://www.ozarkcave.com/

PS been drinking champagne, can you tell????

Debbie
Champagne allowed and understandable

As someone who started and ran a webdesign business in the UK I have to say how surprised I am at the standard of some "professionally" designed websites. I am glad the website didn't put you off the location for your marriage Debbie. OOOOOPS, I hope Kurt doesn't design websites for a living

By the way, are protective helmets obligatory in the caves? Careful, I sense another toilet joke is just around the corner!!!

John

Last edited by Gasherjohn; Sep 24th 2003 at 6:12 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:01 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Debbie

That's great news. Congratulations to you.

Glad to hear your experience at the consulate was straightforward. It all sounded very familiar lol

things2 and 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.