Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London K-1 Visa Applications - Jan 2009 Questions

Wikiposts

London K-1 Visa Applications - Jan 2009 Questions

Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default London K-1 Visa Applications - Jan 2009 Questions

ok kids, here you are, your very own K-1 2009 thread!

Suggest you keep it to post-petition approval since that is where the technical questions come up.

I'll link past helpful threads in here; have at it!

Start with the BritishExpats Wiki entries, compiled by helpful users like you.

K-1 Visa Basics

K1 London Applications

Recent threads on the topic of getting ready for the interview:

Packet 3 (Visa App. package). What to return?

Getting Packet 3 ready for London Embassy - HELP

agentpeppermint has been *very* thorough; following her posts would be a good idea.
Address to Send Paperwork and other questions...
Sending off the packet Monday!
On the last leg..

Users gstring, yorkieuk and penguinbar have asked great questions thru their process so their threads are good to check for answers too.

Other related threads:
K1 visa, have 864, do we need 134?

Question about K-1 Timescales
(from petition forward)

The last thread like this--be on the lookout for dated information--requirement specifics do change:

London K-1 Recent 07/08 Interviews: Answer Here!

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 7th 2009 at 10:02 am. Reason: added more links
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: London K-1 Visa Applications - Jan 2009 Questions

Thank you thank you!

That makes it all much more accessible
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

bigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nice

Thanks for the copy of the cover sheet.
Ill get that done now.

J
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bigticket77
Thanks for the copy of the cover sheet.
Ill get that done now.

J
Cool

Another thing, if you have all your supporting documentation gathered you can also send off that checklist and the signed statement.

On the statement they ask for the date you plan on entering the US. From peoples experiences they seem to use this date to determine when they will interview you. For instance, I put 'June 09' and I was informed they would arrange my appointment for May 09. However I told them I couldn't do May so they have now said I can go in April.

So basically the sooner you plan on leaving the sooner you seem to be able to get an interview date. In regards to the medical, they can also be arranged really quickly, if you are flexible to which days and times of the week you can be available.

Sophie

p.s That thumbnail was really helpful to me as I had received the wrong cover letter to and it didn't mention any of the documents being returned apart from the DS-230!!

I think we were sent the 'immigrant visa' cover letter not the 'non immigrant' visa cover letter. Anyway I rang up the hotline and they said it was fine my case number indicated it was a K1 visa and just to send pack all the applicable forms and the checklist for the K1 non immigrant visa and an immigrant visa was basically the same apart from 2 things:
1) The I-134 is used as the affidavit of support for the K1 rather than the I-864 which is on the checklist
2) There will be no marriage certificate to present!!

Just looks like there is someone new stapling together the packets at the embassy who hasn't learned all the ropes yet
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

bigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nice

I dont have all the supporting stuff together yet. Still waiting for the affidavit of support and police certificate. So will have to wait a week or so to send in the checklist. I hadnt heard anything about a statement though? is this something we write ourselves or is there a format for it?

I did put on my DS-156 that I was looking to enter the US on the 1st July(and dont want to have to re-write it AGAIN). But I dont want to wait till june to have an interview, seems so long away. So might have to work out how I can get them to see me a bit sooner.

How annoying is it that we have to go to London twice?? :-)

J
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I dont have all the supporting stuff together yet. Still waiting for the affidavit of support and police certificate. So will have to wait a week or so to send in the checklist. I hadnt heard anything about a statement though? is this something we write ourselves or is there a format for it?

I did put on my DS-156 that I was looking to enter the US on the 1st July(and dont want to have to re-write it AGAIN). But I dont want to wait till june to have an interview, seems so long away. So might have to work out how I can get them to see me a bit sooner.

How annoying is it that we have to go to London twice?? :-)

J
Hey the statement to sign is the thing that is at the back of the checklist. It is sometimes referred to as the IV-15. It is basically just a statement saying you have all the documents and there is a bit at the bottom where you write your case number, your name, your address, the date, the date you are planning on going to the US and I think also the date of your medical.

To be honest I sent mine back before I had everything, I mean everything had been ordered and I was just waiting on a copy of my birth certificate being delivered as well as a couple of tax returns from the sponsors in the states but seeming you'll have at least a month before an interview you have plenty of time to gather up the stuff.

In regards for changing the date you said you were going, it doesn't really matter. I think the reasoning behind it is that once the K1 visa is granted it is is only valid for 6 months, therefore granting the interview a month or two before you want to leave makes more sense then granting it 5/6 months before you leave as you don't want too cut it too close and have to start all over again

I know you want it over with, we all do but I decided to wait till April because it gives me time to go over all my stuff and make sure everything is perfect.

And as for making two trips to London, you can actually just make one if you wish. The medical takes a couple of days to be forwarded to the embassy but there have been occasions when people have had their medical the day before or the day of their appointment. This saves the cost of 2 trips to London but it does mean that you will not get your K1 issued until the embassy has received the results.

I decided to opt for 2 trips just because I have friends to see in London and also if something comes up in the medical I have time to address it before my interview. I was originally meant to have a medical on Feb 13th but had to change it to the 23rd Feb due to a prior commitment I had forgotten. Now I am going to reschedule it again for sometime in March as yesterday I fell on the damn ice and broke my ankle :curse: (The moral of the story being don't wear heels on ice!).

Anyway what I am trying to say is that the medical appointments are very flexible and as long as you re-arrange before 3 days of your appointment, you can have it whenever you want. Just make sure you are up to date on the vaccinations before you go because looking at the cost on the sheet I got in packet 3 it seems a lot better to get the stuff you need done on the NHS before you go to your medical.

Sophie
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:25 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
ok kids, here you are, your very own K-1 2009 thread!

Suggest you keep it to post-petition approval since that is where the technical questions come up.

I'll link past helpful threads in here; have at it!

Start with the BritishExpats Wiki entries, compiled by helpful users like you.

K-1 Visa Basics

K1 London Applications

Recent threads on the topic of getting ready for the interview:

Packet 3 (Visa App. package). What to return?

Getting Packet 3 ready for London Embassy - HELP

agentpeppermint has been *very* thorough; following her posts would be a good idea.
Address to Send Paperwork and other questions...
Sending off the packet Monday!
On the last leg..

Users gstring, yorkieuk and penguinbar have asked great questions thru their process so their threads are good to check for answers too.

Other related threads:
K1 visa, have 864, do we need 134?

Question about K-1 Timescales
(from petition forward)

The last thread like this--be on the lookout for dated information--requirement specifics do change:

London K-1 Recent 07/08 Interviews: Answer Here!
hey thanks for mentioning me :blush:

I am learning as we go along, but as I have said before in my thank you thread, the more I learn the better prepared we are for things to come....
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Great

though sorry about your ankle, ouch thats a sore one!

Would like to do only the 1 trip to london, so might try and arrange to do the medical the day before or the same day as the interview. Its a fair distance to travel and the cost involved is high :-(

Will get these forms sent off on Monday then will send off Checklist later in the week if i get my other documents..fingers crossed.

I will have to get an idea from you as to how to set out the documents that your going to be taking the embassy, but ive asked enough questions of you for one day and i've been working on forms for over 8hrs so iam tired..off to bed.

thanks again.
Jon
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will have to get an idea from you as to how to set out the documents that your going to be taking the embassy, but ive asked enough questions of you for one day and i've been working on forms for over 8hrs so iam tired..off to bed.

thanks again.
Jon
Hi

I am doing what me and my fiancé did when he sent the I-129F petition. Then we got a folder/binder thing with individual compartments. At the front we had a cover list of what was included and then each of the compartments was a separate part of documentation that was required.

That made it pretty easy to organize it and also for the person who received it to see what was in there.

The only difference is this time I think I'll be putting multiple copies of things in there, i.e with the police certificate, the original and then a couple of photocopies etc.

I don't think there is any set format how you are meant to lay it out, just do which ever is easiest for you and as long as everything required is there you will be fine

Oh and I have a quick question for you (and for any other posters who may know the answer!). I am still trying to get the evidence for the I-134 lined up anyway I've decided on the 3 yrs of tax returns and W2's for the sponsor and joint sponsor and the birth certificate of the joint sponsor. Can these be photo copies or do they have to be real certified copies?!

Thanks

Sophie
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Oh and I have a quick question for you (and for any other posters who may know the answer!). I am still trying to get the evidence for the I-134 lined up anyway I've decided on the 3 yrs of tax returns and W2's for the sponsor and joint sponsor and the birth certificate of the joint sponsor. Can these be photo copies or do they have to be real certified copies?!
I suggest getting in the habit of ordering and using tax transcripts. Free, fast & preferred by USCIS et al.
They usually arrive in under 2 weeks and can be faxed to you in an emergency.

NB: Using transcripts means you do not need to include attachments W-2, 1099 etc. They are neat and tidy (if unofficial looking) and one page.

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?

Requesting transcripts (individuals):

You have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). We do not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow two weeks for delivery.

Definitions:
A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much!

I'll get my fiancé and his mother onto that asap!

Can you get the W2's from that place as well?! Sorry I have no idea about US tax goings on!!

Sophie
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:33 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Thanks so much!

I'll get my fiancé and his mother onto that asap!

Can you get the W2's from that place as well?! Sorry I have no idea about US tax goings on!!

Sophie
Hi Sophie. Your fiancee can get get copies of W2's from his employer.. My mom was our Joint sponser and couldn't find some of her W2's so she just asked her employer for copies. My fiance took an accordian style folder with him to his K1 with each compartment labled so when they asked for something he could find it fairly quickly.I put it all together for him though! He brought originals and copies of all forms filed . They kept photocopies of his police report and birth certificate. If you don't have copies they have the right to keep the originals. He brought tax returns and IRS transcripts with him. I sent him with a photo album, Cards etickets etc but they weren't interested. They did ask for evidence of support along with the I134. They looked through my evidence but said no need to see the joint sponors. It's all up to the individual Con Off. You can read about my husbands K1 interview in the link Meauxna provided. That was in June 08 so requirements could have changed a bit. Better to be over prepared I think!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar
He brought tax returns and IRS transcripts with him.
FYI, that is overkill.

The transcripts are the IRS' copy of the tax return form you filed and they accepted.

If you submit photocopies of the returns you submitted (the actual forms) you MUST attach the wage statements W-2, 1099 and all schedules.

If you submit transcripts, that is all you need to submit. It is a more 'official' copy than photocopies of the returns.

There is apparently no penalty for submitting both, but only one or the other is required and I can't see a benefit to submitting both. I can imagine some downsides though.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much!

I have given my fiancé that number and instructed him to order the transcripts for the last 3 years for him and his mother. This saves a lot of time than trying to have to hunt around for all the w2's!

Sophie
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi Sophie. Your fiancee can get get copies of W2's from his employer.. My mom was our Joint sponser and couldn't find some of her W2's so she just asked her employer for copies. My fiance took an accordian style folder with him to his K1 with each compartment labled so when they asked for something he could find it fairly quickly.I put it all together for him though! He brought originals and copies of all forms filed . They kept photocopies of his police report and birth certificate. If you don't have copies they have the right to keep the originals. He brought tax returns and IRS transcripts with him. I sent him with a photo album, Cards etickets etc but they weren't interested. They did ask for evidence of support along with the I134. They looked through my evidence but said no need to see the joint sponors. It's all up to the individual Con Off. You can read about my husbands K1 interview in the link Meauxna provided. That was in June 08 so requirements could have changed a bit. Better to be over prepared I think!
Hi yeah I have a big folder full of photos, birthday/valentines/xmas cards, letters, phone bills, fight tickets etc there is probably a lot more than is ever needed but I might as well take it all so they can see that I'm still in a relationship!

And I think it must me a female thing because I prepared the folder for the I-129F as well, my fiancé helped but his version of organization and mine doesn't seem to match

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.