Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Embassy problem with interview date

London Embassy problem with interview date

Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy London Embassy problem with interview date

I received a letter today confirming my interview date and time at the US Embassy, in London. Unfortunately it is the day before I am due to fly to New York for a long weekend. I did put this trip on my forms with the DS230. This obviously causes a great problem as I believe the Embassy will take my passport from me after the interview and I won't have it back in time to fly the next day.

Could anybody please advise me whether or not there is a way of retaining your passport after the interview? Or on how long it is likely to take to have it returned to me?

I also have the issue that I don't want to enter the US and activate the VISA, as I am returning home from my trip for a couple of months, to sort out my affairs before I am ready to go.

The only option I can see is to ask the Embassy for another date and hope I don't get put at the bottom of the pile.

I would appreciate peoples advice!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy problem with interview date

Originally Posted by LondonLondon2USA
I received a letter today confirming my interview date and time at the US Embassy, in London. Unfortunately it is the day before I am due to fly to New York for a long weekend. I did put this trip on my forms with the DS230. This obviously causes a great problem as I believe the Embassy will take my passport from me after the interview and I won't have it back in time to fly the next day.

Could anybody please advise me whether or not there is a way of retaining your passport after the interview? Or on how long it is likely to take to have it returned to me?

I also have the issue that I don't want to enter the US and activate the VISA, as I am returning home from my trip for a couple of months, to sort out my affairs before I am ready to go.

The only option I can see is to ask the Embassy for another date and hope I don't get put at the bottom of the pile.

I would appreciate peoples advice!
Decide which is more inportant .. a weekend away
or the interview ...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ray
Decide which is more inportant .. a weekend away
or the interview ...
The trip is pretty important as we have job interviews lined up but I am prepared to let my wife go alone, if I have to.

Last edited by LondonLondon2USA; Oct 10th 2008 at 2:37 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The trip is pretty important as we have job interviews lined up but I am prepared to let my wife go alone, if I have to.
Without the visa ..jobs won't matter ..
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I
I think that's what would end up happening. I would just not go the weekend away, so you could attend the interview and be done with the whole visa process (instead of prolonging it). From what I've read, normally it can take about 3-4 days to get the visa back - but recently it took one person almost 2 weeks because of an odd problem at the embassy - so I would say it's unlikely you would get your passport back in time to leave. And even if you did get it back in time, if you did do your trip to the US, you more than likely would have to activate the visa.

The trip just seems more hassle than it's worth, imo.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=LondonLondon2USA;6863017]I received a letter today confirming my interview date and time at the US Embassy, in London.

Sorry going a bit off topic, but after reading your timeline, just wondered when your interview date is?

We got notification of approval letter 8th September then the next package which have put on hold, due to husband starting new position same company but different location.

Amanda
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=mrs Bucket;6863352]
I received a letter today confirming my interview date and time at the US Embassy, in London.

Sorry going a bit off topic, but after reading your timeline, just wondered when your interview date is?

We got notification of approval letter 8th September then the next package which have put on hold, due to husband starting new position same company but different location.

Amanda
I received the pack containing DS230 part 1 on 29th September and I sent it back with the DS2001 on the same day. Got the letter today with an interview date of 27th October. A little bit quicker than I expected. I had planned for an interview date at the end of November.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=LondonLondon2USA;6863385]
Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
I received the pack containing DS230 part 1 on 29th September and I sent it back with the DS2001 on the same day. Got the letter today with an interview date of 27th October. A little bit quicker than I expected. I had planned for an interview date at the end of November.
That really was quick! I was expecting you to say your interview date was at the end of November. before hubby got new position we was going to fill out all the forms and send back DS230 straight away, and expected interview at the earliest December, so that we could go in Feb/March.

Thanks for replying so quickly and hope you can make the right decision.

Amanda
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=mrs Bucket;6863553]

That really was quick! I was expecting you to say your interview date was at the end of November. before hubby got new position we was going to fill out all the forms and send back DS230 straight away, and expected interview at the earliest December, so that we could go in Feb/March.

Thanks for replying so quickly and hope you can make the right decision.

Amanda
I phoned the Embassy and the girl I spoke to was really nice. She didn't see much of a problem and told me to email the Embassy with a reference number she gave me, stating my reasons. I got an automated response from the email stating that they will get back in touch with me and this usually takes 3 to 4 days. Fingers crossed!!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think your interview will get put back that much, a few weeks at most.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=LondonLondon2USA;6863562]
I phoned the Embassy and the girl I spoke to was really nice. She didn't see much of a problem and told me to email the Embassy with a reference number she gave me, stating my reasons. I got an automated response from the email stating that they will get back in touch with me and this usually takes 3 to 4 days. Fingers crossed!!
That would be great if they could change dates, as you did inform them that you would be away!

BG: Hopefully a few weeks will be sufficient for Londonlondon2usa.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LondonLondon2USA;6863562]
Did you give them a specific date you have in mind for your interview? I've heard London is pretty willing to work with you if you have a particular date in mind.

Rene
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Noorah101;6863632]
Did you give them a specific date you have in mind for your interview? I've heard London is pretty willing to work with you if you have a particular date in mind.

Rene
No, I thought about it but as I was asking to change interview date, I didn't want to push my luck. I stated any date after 3rd November would be fine. I put the trip on virtually every page of the DS230/DS2001.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

When we did our Visa IV earlier this year we told the embassy staff we had a trip booked a week later and they said to courier the passports to them when we got back and they would finalise the visa application then.

We had no problems with this approach and in fact it was probably better as we did not have to queue in the Courier line and could just leave once our IV was over!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cruickies
When we did our Visa IV earlier this year we told the embassy staff we had a trip booked a week later and they said to courier the passports to them when we got back and they would finalise the visa application then.

We had no problems with this approach and in fact it was probably better as we did not have to queue in the Courier line and could just leave once our IV was over!
Brilliant idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.