Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London embassy experience

London embassy experience

Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default London embassy experience

Hey everyone!

So today I had my embassy interview at 10.30am. It was sooooo busy in general especially for tourist visas.

I showed my confirmation and passport and they pointed me to a separate queue. Waited there outside the security booth where they admitted 4 people at a time. Quick little bag scan all pretty painless.

Walked around the building to the entrance where I handed my confirmation and passport again and they stuck a load of stickers with my number.

Walked into the hall and took a seat and waited to be called up. Had a huge panic as I hadn't printed out my DS 260 confirmation but found the email in hope that would suffice. Within around 20 mins I was called up. The guy was so lovely and told me it didn't matter the more important document was my courier info. Took my passport, my birth certificate and copy, marriage certificate and copy, husbands last tax return, and my joint sponsor as he wasn't sure the officer would be satisfied with my continuation of employment salary.
One of the pages from my aunts 1040 was missing which he said I may have to email however he said it was down to the officer and he did t think it would a issue as my aunts salary more then covered the requirement. Was up there for around 10 mins all very pleasant.
Then went around the corner paid the fee and by the time I walked back my number was called! Went back around, pledged to tell the truth, gave my fingerprints again and was asked a few questions. Where we met, when we first met in person, who went to see the other first, asked if we had a daughter and if she had a us passport, asked where my husband was now (looking after our baby) and then asked our plans to move back. I asked if he wanted to see the flight confirmation and Airbnb booking and he said no. Said he was glad we had everything planned as so many people had no clue.
Then told me I was approved and it'll be 10-14 days for my passport.

Thank you guys so much for all your help over these months especially Ian, Rete, Rene & Pulaski! You guys are amazing.

I'll be collecting my passport from the courier - will they email me when it arrives? Also where does everyone look for the status changes? The same page I arranged my interview?

Last edited by viitav; Jul 27th 2017 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London embassy experience

This is wonderful! Huge congratulations!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viitav
Then told me I was approved and it'll be 10-14 days for my passport.
Congratulations! Well done.

I'll be collecting my passport from the courier - will they email me when it arrives?
They should, yes.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo! Piece of cake, wasn't it. Congratulations and when are you coming to the US?

As everyone had said, they don't question you or ask for evidence pertaining to returning to set up a new domicile.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations that all went smoothly!

It is always good to hear that it went well, but it is rarely surprising!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yahoo! Piece of cake, wasn't it. Congratulations and when are you coming to the US?

As everyone had said, they don't question you or ask for evidence pertaining to returning to set up a new domicile.
It wasn't bad at all! So quick 2 months in all! We move to New York in October our flights are booked for the 28th! So excited!

Yeah you guys were right he just took my word for it!

All in all a pleasant experience! Not scary at all!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

suze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations!!! thank you so much for posting this. My embassy interview is next friday. I jut wanted to know, were you allowed to take a mobile phone in?
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you're allowed.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:52 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to take a small tablet in too. I took my iPad mini in with me, and was amazed to discover they had public wifi too. Helped kill time waiting for my interviews.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

suze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for confirming about phones! counting down the days now until interview!
Old Jul 31st 2017, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

They were very relaxed about phones - you just put your phone in a little plastic bag to scan at security and then thats it. No phones allowed when at the desk submitting paperwork etc but thats pretty standard.