Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Embassy AP for immigrant visas (spousal)

Wikiposts

London Embassy AP for immigrant visas (spousal)

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

MrsRobinson will become famous soon enough
Smile London Embassy AP for immigrant visas (spousal)

Hello All,

I've had a read through some of the posts and it seems as though our visa is stuck in the wasteland that is administrative processing.

Background -- I am a USC and my husband is a UKC. We applied for an immigrant visa for my husband in June/July through the London consulate (as we both live in the UK). The interview was held 25 September. The CO told my husband that she would be happy to give my husband a visa, but I had to submit an I864 along with proof of my US domicile and our intention to move (US bank statements, quote from the moving company). On 21 October we sent the required forms along with my husbands passport to the embassy. Two days later a letter was issued stating that we had to provide an I864 joint sponsorship form. Unfortunately, due to Royal Mail strikes this letter did not reach us until 11 Nov.

On 17 Nov the Embassy received the joint sponsor I864. We have been told by the no-help-whatsoever line that processing could take 15-20 working days. We've sent two emails to the consulate but have yet to receive a reply. It's now been 27 working days and we're going insane as we've moved out of our flat and quit our jobs ages ago as we had planned to travel before entering the US.

If anyone can share experience or advice, please share it with me. I would appreciate it greatly

Many thanks!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy AP for immigrant visas (spousal)

Originally Posted by MrsRobinson
a) It's now been 27 working days and we're going insane as we've moved out of our flat and quit our jobs ages ago as we had planned to travel before entering the US.

b) If anyone can share experience or advice, please share it with me.
a) Well that wasn't too smart....never quit anything until you have visa(s) in hand.

b) Nothing you can do....but wait it out.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

On 17 Nov the Embassy received the joint sponsor I864. We have been told by the no-help-whatsoever line that processing could take 15-20 working days. We've sent two emails to the consulate but have yet to receive a reply. It's now been 27 working days and we're going insane as we've moved out of our flat and quit our jobs ages ago as we had planned to travel before entering the US.
Some ideas:

Call the pay-to-call line in Scotland and get the email code for the [email protected] email address. Email them with a request for status on your newly submitted I-864. Make sure they have a valid way to reach you (email + mobile phone + mailing address).
If your mailing address has changed since the interview, that could be a hang up point.

Did they keep your applicant's passport? If not, ask for instructions on how to submit it.

Did anyone tell you the applicant is in extended security checks (most commonly called 'administrative processing')? Do you have a reason to believe that he would be, based on an original citizenship or family nationality?
If he's truly in AP, nothing can shake that loose.

User lansbury recommends this:
First thing Tuesday call the Department of State in Washington on this phone number:-

202 663 1225 (then you will need to follow the prompts)

they can access the records held in London and see what the situation is with your case. They will look at exactly the same record as London uses and tell you the uptodate situation.

Cheaper than calling the help line in Scotland and you get realy useful information.

I'm moving this thread to the marriage based visa forum for more DCF people to see.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) Well that wasn't too smart....never quit anything until you have visa(s) in hand.

b) Nothing you can do....but wait it out.
BritishGuy36

If that first remark is your ideal of 'help' kindly keep it to yourself in future - it's sufficiently frustrating already without receiving i told-you-so's.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Some ideas:

Call the pay-to-call line in Scotland and get the email code for the [email protected] email address. Email them with a request for status on your newly submitted I-864. Make sure they have a valid way to reach you (email + mobile phone + mailing address).
If your mailing address has changed since the interview, that could be a hang up point.

Did they keep your applicant's passport? If not, ask for instructions on how to submit it.

Did anyone tell you the applicant is in extended security checks (most commonly called 'administrative processing')? Do you have a reason to believe that he would be, based on an original citizenship or family nationality?
If he's truly in AP, nothing can shake that loose.

User lansbury recommends this:
First thing Tuesday call the Department of State in Washington on this phone number:-

202 663 1225 (then you will need to follow the prompts)

they can access the records held in London and see what the situation is with your case. They will look at exactly the same record as London uses and tell you the uptodate situation.

Cheaper than calling the help line in Scotland and you get realy useful information.

I'm moving this thread to the marriage based visa forum for more DCF people to see.
Meauxna

Thanks for the info on the US phone line - we'll give that a shot. Greatly appreciate the advice and understanding.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:34 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MrsR,

It may not be helpful to you now, but it may be helpful to Gentle Readers who follow and would have been helpful to you had you read the similar responses to your predecessors who made the same mistake.

Recognize that things may go slower than normal at the consulates in December, as happens at many organizations of all types. Holidays, vacations, year-end report generation - all kinds of things get in the way.

Regards, JEff

BritishGuy36

If that first remark is your ideal of 'help' kindly keep it to yourself in future - it's sufficiently frustrating already without receiving i told-you-so's.

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, the woman who interviewed you at the embassy, was she pretty young?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

BritishGuy36

Good luck. It's very frustrating when you have to wait. I hope you get your Visa's ASAP!!!