London back to NY - DCF

Wikiposts

London back to NY - DCF

Old May 11th 2011, 2:24 am
Just Joined

sb15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London back to NY - DCF

Hi everyone,

New here (although over from UK-Yankee where I started off with the whole visa process..just going in the opposite direction!)

So, we'd like to do the DCF. I'm here on a T2 visa (so I'm the USC) which will expire at the end of December. Our plan was to get married at some point over the summer, apply that same week, and we knew it was almost definite that we'd be spending time apart waiting for everything (especially with this 10 month wait!). We're hyper organized and have already started gathering the docs we know we'll need (police report for him, the shots he'll need, long firm birth certificate, etc) and my parents will co-sponsor. I do have a couple of questions, though.

1 - Since we'll be filing pretty much as soon as we can after we get married, I'm fully prepared for them to ask us for more info about our relationship. Sworn affadavits from friends/family who have seen us on a regular basis, our tenancy agreement, marriage certificate..etc. Anything else? We've got pictures.

2. My visa is up at the end of December. Do we have to have approval before I can go, or do we merely need to file and have them acknowledge that they've recieved the paperwork (and taken the money, I imagine)? I looked online at the embassy but I really wasn't sure.

Thank you!
Old May 11th 2011, 3:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London back to NY - DCF

Originally Posted by sb15
Anything else? We've got pictures.
Life insurance policy with each other named as beneficiary, auto insurance with both names... As newlyweds, there's really not a lot of info you can provide, so give what you have and don't worry about it too much. A few months down the road, when your (then) hubby has his interview, you'll have more evidence.

Do we have to have approval before I can go, or do we merely need to file and have them acknowledge that they've recieved the paperwork (and taken the money, I imagine)?
Once your I-130 is filed and accepted (ie. you get a receipt), then you're free to leave the UK.

Ian
Old May 11th 2011, 4:05 am
Just Joined

sb15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! That's what I figured from what I've read here but just wanted to confirm. Cause if it had to be approved while I was still here, there wasn't a shot in hell of that happening (well, unless work extended the visa) - not with the current timelines.

Thanks again.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sb15
Hi everyone,

New here (although over from UK-Yankee where I started off with the whole visa process..just going in the opposite direction!)

So, we'd like to do the DCF. I'm here on a T2 visa (so I'm the USC) which will expire at the end of December. Our plan was to get married at some point over the summer, apply that same week, and we knew it was almost definite that we'd be spending time apart waiting for everything (especially with this 10 month wait!). We're hyper organized and have already started gathering the docs we know we'll need (police report for him, the shots he'll need, long firm birth certificate, etc) and my parents will co-sponsor. I do have a couple of questions, though.

1 - Since we'll be filing pretty much as soon as we can after we get married, I'm fully prepared for them to ask us for more info about our relationship. Sworn affadavits from friends/family who have seen us on a regular basis, our tenancy agreement, marriage certificate..etc. Anything else? We've got pictures.

2. My visa is up at the end of December. Do we have to have approval before I can go, or do we merely need to file and have them acknowledge that they've recieved the paperwork (and taken the money, I imagine)? I looked online at the embassy but I really wasn't sure.

Thank you!
Hi there, welcome to BE!

To answer your posted questions, there is no knowing if you will get the RFE for affidavits or not. London wants I-130s filed a particular way, and you should NOT include affidavits with your I-130 submission. You can read more about that at the link I'm posting at the end.

Your second question is also answered in our handy dandy DCF wiki article: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-...led_In_London_

Once your I-130 has been accepted for processing (they have taken your $$), the USC is free to leave the UK and the beneficiary can carry on with the visa application.

I suggest you look at the I-864 and make sure you understand what your JOINT (not co-) Sponsors need to know, and what you need to know about completing your own I-864.

No one really knows what is going to happen with the timelines yet. They are getting longer already, and the rumor is that they may be processed in the US ultimately. NO sense fretting over it; there's no answer to be had.