Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

Hello.

My wife just got scheduled for her AOS Interview. We are excited. She arrived on a K1 visa more than 9 months ago.

However, the location that the receipt was mailed to was a location that we lived at more than 5 months ago.

We have since mailed them and called the no-information number 2 times to have them change our address (which was changed more than 3 months ago, and reconfirmed).

She recently re-entered the country with a travel document which used the old address.

However, the location that we are asked to go to is out of our state and is covered by a completely different office, with a much shorter wait time (in our local region, we should have to wait another year or so it seems from the date posted at uscis.gov).

What are the legal ramifications of this? If we go and they see that we live outside of their jurisdiction, can this force us back into line and cause us to loose even more time? Can her application be rejected?

Or, should we just show up?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

I am not sure of the answer but they are famous for not changing address' in a timely manner.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

It is not unusual for the DO not to have your change of address. If you only submitted the AR-11 to Kentucky and did not write to the DO with your new address and call the 1-800 to update your wife's records, then the records would not have been changed.

She cannot interview at a different DO then the one she currently lives in. She should go to the new DO and give them the new address and if at all possible I would recommend she go to the interview and have then change the address and transfer her files to the new district office. If she doesn't and only relies on a letter to settle the matter at this point, she will receive a notice that her file has been closed and the AOS denied. This is because it is difficult to get the letter of notification to the correct person who will then know that she did not fail to attend.

Rete

Originally Posted by fusion
Hello.

My wife just got scheduled for her AOS Interview. We are excited. She arrived on a K1 visa more than 9 months ago.

However, the location that the receipt was mailed to was a location that we lived at more than 5 months ago.

We have since mailed them and called the no-information number 2 times to have them change our address (which was changed more than 3 months ago, and reconfirmed).

She recently re-entered the country with a travel document which used the old address.

However, the location that we are asked to go to is out of our state and is covered by a completely different office, with a much shorter wait time (in our local region, we should have to wait another year or so it seems from the date posted at uscis.gov).

What are the legal ramifications of this? If we go and they see that we live outside of their jurisdiction, can this force us back into line and cause us to loose even more time? Can her application be rejected?

Or, should we just show up?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
It is not unusual for the DO not to have your change of address. If you only submitted the AR-11 to Kentucky and did not write to the DO with your new address and call the 1-800 to update your wife's records, then the records would not have been changed.

She cannot interview at a different DO then the one she currently lives in. She should go to the new DO and give them the new address and if at all possible I would recommend she go to the interview and have then change the address and transfer her files to the new district office.

Thank you for your advice with this.
I understand it, but it seems as though this is highly unfair to say the least.

We called the 1-800 number 2 times and they reconfirmed the change of address.

And now, it seems that we will have to travel more than 1000 miles, because of a mistake that they made, merely to just make sure that we can continue to wait in the forever queue in Boston for another 6months+?

Is there any other option?

Would it be possible for us to change our address back to the family member's in the other state a few days before the interview, so that it IS the official address? Or can they just process the case if we go in with evidence that we have done nothing wrong?

Thanks for your help so far!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fusion,

Sorry you're having problems, changing address is a nightmare with USCIS. Just wondering if you had also submitted written change of address to your original local office, so in case your file came there, they could forward it to the new local office?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fusion
Would it be possible for us to change our address back to the family member's in the other state a few days before the interview, so that it IS the official address?
Don't do this! It's bad enough you already have one address fiasco to deal with!

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't do this! It's bad enough you already have one address fiasco to deal with!

Ian
What happens if you send all forms to change the address, and you have a proof that you've sent it, but they didnt change it? For instance, you file I-751 with new address, but they have your old address in their system, will they become suspicious?
We tried calling them, but they told us if we dont have aything pending at this time, we just need to file AR-11 and thats it. But we havent received NOA of address change. Should we send it again or what to do?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bantik2005
What happens if you send all forms to change the address, and you have a proof that you've sent it, but they didnt change it? For instance, you file I-751 with new address, but they have your old address in their system, will they become suspicious?
We tried calling them, but they told us if we dont have aything pending at this time, we just need to file AR-11 and thats it. But we havent received NOA of address change. Should we send it again or what to do?
I don't think you get a verification of filing the AR-11. If you have no petitions pending, all you need to do is file the AR-11, I-865 (for sponsor change of address), and call the 800-number once a month for a while to remind them. If you filed an I-751 with a new address on it, they won't go looking at old records for your address...they'll use the one on the I-751.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:20 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think you get a verification of filing the AR-11. If you have no petitions pending, all you need to do is file the AR-11, I-865 (for sponsor change of address), and call the 800-number once a month for a while to remind them. If you filed an I-751 with a new address on it, they won't go looking at old records for your address...they'll use the one on the I-751.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Rene is right you don't receive any kind of confirmation when you file the AR-11, at least I never got one. I did received confirmation letters after calling the miss-information line which is strange because I never though they could be efficient, not even a bit
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:32 pm
Iliana

This dicussion is good for me to read, but let me get things
straight...

I will file I-751 in March, to NSC. I am permanently residing in
Washington state, however I will be taking a temporary 12 month
position in Wisconsin starting January while my USC spouse will stay in
WA .

I called USCIS, and they advised - file AR-11 and check the box for
temporary address. They assured me that by doing so my permanent
residence adress (which is on I-130 etc..) will not be changed.

I also read that I could put whatever mailing address I like on the
I-751.
So I am planning to file I-751 with my WA adress as a residence, but
also put the new WI address as a mailing address, so that no matter
where they mail the responce, either my spouse in WA, or me in WI will
receive the approval.Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks!

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Where is your principal address going to be? Washington State with your husband or the temporary address in Wisconsin? If in WA, then that is the address you put down since your husband will be there and you will be visiting and getting your mail there. I take it you will not be changing addresses for mailing on your credit cards, etc.

No AR-11 is required for this temporary move.

Originally Posted by Iliana
This dicussion is good for me to read, but let me get things
straight...

I will file I-751 in March, to NSC. I am permanently residing in
Washington state, however I will be taking a temporary 12 month
position in Wisconsin starting January while my USC spouse will stay in
WA .

I called USCIS, and they advised - file AR-11 and check the box for
temporary address. They assured me that by doing so my permanent
residence adress (which is on I-130 etc..) will not be changed.

I also read that I could put whatever mailing address I like on the
I-751.
So I am planning to file I-751 with my WA adress as a residence, but
also put the new WI address as a mailing address, so that no matter
where they mail the responce, either my spouse in WA, or me in WI will
receive the approval.Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: location seems to be odd for AOS interview? Any legal or technical issues?

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks so much, Rene, you are life saver