Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Living in U.S. Awaiting greencard- proof of eligibility to work

Wikiposts

Living in U.S. Awaiting greencard- proof of eligibility to work

Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Vermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to all
Default Living in U.S. Awaiting greencard- proof of eligibility to work

Hi

I'm hoping someone can steer me to a website link that will help my prospective employer see that I'm eligible to work. I have my immigrant visa that should serve as temporary I-551, however it says on the visa Issue date April 2015. Expires July 2015 so my employer is failing to understand that I'm allowed to work etc as it appears as though my visa has expired. I have paid my $165 for my greencard to be processed at start of the week, (so I have up to 5 weeks to wait ?). Problem is I need to work as my funds are very low! I'm sure if I can direct them to an official website that explains my visa etc. that they will employ me.........

Many thanks
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in U.S. Awaiting greencard- proof of eligibility to work

Try either Homepage | USCIS, or have them look up Form I-9 in Google.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vermonta
Expires July 2015 so my employer is failing to understand that I'm allowed to work etc as it appears as though my visa has expired.
Your visa became invalid the day you used it to enter the US. The endorsement on your visa, however, is a green card and is valid proof of your ability to live and work in the US.

Honestly though - do you really want to work for someone that stupid?

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the wording at the bottom of the visa say it serves as a temporary I-551 for one year once endorsed?

Alternatively, make an INFOPASS appointment with USCIS and ask for an I-551 stamp for your passport. Also valid for one year.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your visa became invalid the day you used it to enter the US. The endorsement on your visa, however, is a green card and is valid proof of your ability to live and work in the US.

Honestly though - do you really want to work for someone that stupid?

Ian
Sorry, Ian, but that's a ridiculous statement! Not everyone knows immigration law and will do anything to make sure they don't fall foul of it. It's not stupidity, it's caution!

A small businessman can't be expected to know the ins and outs of the process, so the OP needs to reassure him (or her) that's it's ok.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
A small businessman can't be expected to know the ins and outs of the process...
True... but the guy can look at an I-9! That's not all that difficult.

Ian