Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A little wary of giving USCIS the original I-94 for AOS

Wikiposts

A little wary of giving USCIS the original I-94 for AOS

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough
Default A little wary of giving USCIS the original I-94 for AOS

So today we got a big packet from the Albuquerque field office; it was the I-485 we submitted last week, with a cover letter on top saying that we had to resubmit because they want David's original I-94 and not just a copy of his passport page. (Which was slightly annoying because we actually made an appointment, went in to the field office and the woman at the counter reviewed our submittal package and deemed it ok with the addition of a few photos).

Anyway, we are a little weirded out by having to submit the original I-94... is this standard procedure? The I-485 instructions don't mention an original, just a copy.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A little wary of giving USCIS the original I-94 for AOS

Originally Posted by Buendia
So today we got a big packet from the Albuquerque field office; it was the I-485 we submitted last week, with a cover letter on top saying that we had to resubmit because they want David's original I-94 and not just a copy of his passport page. (Which was slightly annoying because we actually made an appointment, went in to the field office and the woman at the counter reviewed our submittal package and deemed it ok with the addition of a few photos).

Anyway, we are a little weirded out by having to submit the original I-94... is this standard procedure? The I-485 instructions don't mention an original, just a copy.
Hi:

IMHO, they are wrong. But I think this is a no harm no foul type of situation. David should keep a copy in his PP -- with that file number, they can track things. Don't fight City Hall on this -- too minor a problem.

How were the polling lines in your neck of the woods?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

IMHO, they are wrong. But I think this is a no harm no foul type of situation. David should keep a copy in his PP -- with that file number, they can track things. Don't fight City Hall on this -- too minor a problem.

Thanks for the info - we have lots of copies, so we'll make a few more for good measure and put one in his passport. Phew!!! So relieved (and feeling a little silly that we didn't think of that...)

The polls here (at least in Santa Fe) were really quiet. It seems 46% of registered voters in New Mexico early or absentee voted; when I voted at 9:30 am there were only two people ahead of me in line. David came along to observe the process (and then we rewarded ourselves with breakfast). My own opinion is that they aren't going to be able to call New Mexico for 3 to 5 days: there were 10,000 provisional ballots cast and those take time to tally. New Mexico went to Gore last time, but by less than 350 votes. So unless one of the candidates is ahead by more than 10,000 votes, we have to wait for the provisionals. (But I'm not sure NM is deciding anything, though, with only 5 electoral votes).

I think as I write this the polls are about to close in CA - how was it there? Talked to my mom (also in LA - Brentwood - and she said her polling place was pretty quiet at 9 am).

OK, back to the tv set....
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The same thing happened to me. Rather than hold up the process I kept a copy and sent the originals. A week later I had my NOA. I say don't question the boss!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Duckie
The same thing happened to me. Rather than hold up the process I kept a copy and sent the originals. A week later I had my NOA. I say don't question the boss!
It's good to know someone else had the same experience! Thanks!

(Which field office did you go through?)
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buendia
It's good to know someone else had the same experience! Thanks!

(Which field office did you go through?)
I am still going through the process my first and hopefully only returned application (due to not sending original copies) came from the CHICAGO office when I submitted the I-130.

I am currently awaiting approval for the I-129F/ I-130. I have the NOAs for both the I-130 and I129F

My husband is still in England waiting for this process to finish.