Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Little OT: parental consent for travelling minor

Wikiposts

Little OT: parental consent for travelling minor

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Little OT: parental consent for travelling minor

*gives the moderators some freshly baked cookies and posts an off-topic question*

My fiancé's sister is travelling over here from the US this Friday with her 7 year old, to attend our wedding next week. Her husband is not able to come over. Sis thinks she read somewhere that she needed a letter of consent from him, just in case. I couldn't really find anything about it, except that it would probably be a good idea (as per the consular information sheet re. international child abduction).
We're now wondering what to put in such a letter and how official it should be? Any input is much appreciated.

Elaine
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:34 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little OT: parental consent for travelling minor

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
*gives the moderators some freshly baked cookies and posts an off-topic question*

My fiancé's sister is travelling over here from the US this Friday with her 7 year old, to attend our wedding next week. Her husband is not able to come over. Sis thinks she read somewhere that she needed a letter of consent from him, just in case. I couldn't really find anything about it, except that it would probably be a good idea (as per the consular information sheet re. international child abduction).
We're now wondering what to put in such a letter and how official it should be? Any input is much appreciated.

Elaine
When my daughter flew overseas last summer with her custodial mother (the Witch), the Airline required a notorized statement from me, approving the trip. I was quite impressed actually- and thought it was a great idea.

Good luck on the wedding- I had not heard you were finally taking the plunge.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Elaine
Hi Elaine!

Check out this website, it's got some good information on it regarding this topic. It's a Travel Consent Form. Even if this is advertising a service they want you to pay for, it still gives a good outline, I think:

http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/co...snt_us-main_a2

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancé's sister is travelling over here from the US ....
Elaine
Hmmmm....wait a minute....is your fiance's sister coming from the UK, or US? The form I sent you is for a USC child to travel overseas. That's the way you worded your statement.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Tuesday is the big day. Now that things have calmed down here healthwise, we felt we were ready to take on a couple of new waves - the ones that are called gittin' hitched and US immigrations.

Did you write a statement just saying you consented to her travelling abroad with her mother, and then had that notarized? Or did you include anything like her birth certificate with your names on it, or something similar?

Elaine
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hmmmm....wait a minute....is your fiance's sister coming from the UK, or US? The form I sent you is for a USC child to travel overseas. That's the way you worded your statement.
Thanks, Rene! I'll check out the link later (after I return a phonecall from my stressed out fiancé... he must be getting nervous! )

Yes, it's a US child travelling from the US to The Netherlands.

Elaine
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:48 am

Thanks, Rene! I'll check out the link later (after I return a phonecall from my stressed out fiancé... he must be getting nervous! )

Yes, it's a US child travelling from the US to The Netherlands.

Elaine
OK, so I understood you right. That link should be very helpful to you. It's an on-line form that you fill in, print, and take to get notarized, allowing consent for the travel of a minor child.

Congrats on "getting hitched"!!!

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:53 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Tuesday is the big day. Now that things have calmed down here healthwise, we felt we were ready to take on a couple of new waves - the ones that are called gittin' hitched and US immigrations.

Did you write a statement just saying you consented to her travelling abroad with her mother, and then had that notarized? Or did you include anything like her birth certificate with your names on it, or something similar?

Elaine
Here is what I sent- names removed of course:

Permission to Travel for Nicole XXX

Date

I, John XXX, father of Nicole XXX, do herby give my permission for Nicole to travel to XXX with her Mother XXXXfor the purpose of visiting family there. The trip will be from June 7, 2003 to June 22, 2003.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much, you both!

I've emailed Rene's link and John's copied and pasted statement to sis and hubby, so they can take care of most of it tonight their time... me, I'm headed to bed. I need my beautysleep! (Not a WORD!)

Elaine
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:13 am

Thanks so much, you both!

I've emailed Rene's link and John's copied and pasted statement to sis and hubby, so they can take care of most of it tonight their time... me, I'm headed to bed. I need my beautysleep! (Not a WORD!)

Elaine
Wait! Before you go to sleep! I'm not a mod, but can I still have a cookie, please?

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL! Sure you can. You can eat them all if you want... I don't care if they close this thread now or move it, I know what I need to know! I mean, hum, make sure you leave a couple for the moderators, they deserve them for all their hard work.

Elaine