Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A Little Advice Please...

A Little Advice Please...

Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Little Advice Please...

Am I right in saying that I wait for my letter and instruction from the embassy before booking my medical? We've only had the letter to my fiancé so far saying case approved and sent to NVC for processing; I'm just waiting now before I start the next part (other than I can apply for my police check, right?)
Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grapes
Am I right in saying that I wait for my letter and instruction from the embassy before booking my medical? We've only had the letter to my fiancé so far saying case approved and sent to NVC for processing; I'm just waiting now before I start the next part (other than I can apply for my police check, right?)
Correct.

You will need your LND case number in order to book the medical. And you will need to take a copy of your police report with you to the medical, too, I believe.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2016, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Recommendations

Grapes...this forum is for visa based questions only...therefore I have moved your post re shipping recommendations into a new thread in the US Forum here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...ations-884695/
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi folks,

Quick update; I've had my medical and all is well... I have to say that other than the obvious anxiety that a process like this brings, it's been straight-forward so far and thanks to everyone on here who's given me help and advice to date.

I'm all set to apply for my interview but I have a quick question; does my fiance send the completed I-864 to the NVC in the US once she's completed it, or does she send it to me to take with me to the interview? I've read and re-read the instructions and FAQ but there seems to be conflicting info...
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

Quick update; I've had my medical and all is well... I have to say that other than the obvious anxiety that a process like this brings, it's been straight-forward so far and thanks to everyone on here who's given me help and advice to date.

I'm all set to apply for my interview but I have a quick question; does my fiance send the completed I-864 to the NVC in the US once she's completed it, or does she send it to me to take with me to the interview? I've read and re-read the instructions and FAQ but there seems to be conflicting info...
I'm assuming you're going for a K-1 visa?

If so, you don't need I-864 right now. That is used later for adjustment of status.

You need to take an I-134 and supporting evidence filled out by someone eligible to your interview.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
I'm assuming you're going for a K-1 visa?

If so, you don't need I-864 right now. That is used later for adjustment of status.

You need to take an I-134 and supporting evidence filled out by someone eligible to your interview.
Okay... I'm sure glad I asked that question, then - thank you!

So I get her to complete the I-134 and take that with me; there's no need to submit it anywhere in the US ahead of the interview? Do I need her to post me the original or will a printed signed copy be fine?
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... I'm sure glad I asked that question, then - thank you!

So I get her to complete the I-134 and take that with me; there's no need to submit it anywhere in the US ahead of the interview? Do I need her to post me the original or will a printed signed copy be fine?
You need an original with a "wet" signature, so have it mailed over.

There is nothing new on that form that isn't on the I-864 so it should be easy for her to complete.

Neither of you need to submit it anywhere before the interview.

A tax transcript from the IRS is a simple way to demonstrate income if that's the route you're taking (rather than assets).
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

You need an original with a "wet" signature, so have it mailed over.

There is nothing new on that form that isn't on the I-864 so it should be easy for her to complete.

Neither of you need to submit it anywhere before the interview.

A tax transcript from the IRS is a simple way to demonstrate income if that's the route you're taking (rather than assets).
Yes, just downloaded that form and it looks straight forward enough; we are going income rather than assets.

Thank you so much, you've just saved me a whole lot of bother! Will get that completed tomorrow and mailed over to me, then I'm all set.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 6:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You've had your medical and you still don't have the I-134 Affidavit of Support from your fiancée? I'm assuming that you have not gone online to the US Embassy and booked your interview for the K-1 visa either. You are aware that you book your own appointment and don't have to wait for them to contact you with an interview date.

Do your book the appointment until you have an original signature I-134. If she can, have her sign it in BLUE ink to distinguish it from a copy.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You've had your medical and you still don't have the I-134 Affidavit of Support from your fiancée? I'm assuming that you have not gone online to the US Embassy and booked your interview for the K-1 visa either. You are aware that you book your own appointment and don't have to wait for them to contact you with an interview date.

Do your book the appointment until you have an original signature I-134. If she can, have her sign it in BLUE ink to distinguish it from a copy.
I don't have the I-134 yet, but I'll have it from her by next week. Interview application has been completed on line and it's set for the 10 Feb.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well folks, I'm all done. Had my visa interview on Friday and I've been accepted! Still hasn't quite sunk in, I guess I wasn't expecting there to be a problem, but I was a bundle of nerves over the last few weeks all the same.

Knowing that I have it and we can start our lives together in Georgia is amazing; it's hard to describe how much of an emotional roller coaster the journey is from starting your application to standing at that window being told your visa is approved, but it's all worth it in the end, isn't it?

Throughout the process I've been very, very OCD about checking all my paperwork is correct over and over again before each stage, to the point where everyone has been taking the p*ss out of me but Thursday afternoon proved exactly why I was right! I'd had all my documents ready in a folder for the last three weeks so I wouldn't be worrying at the last minute and for some reason, I decided to photocopy them all at work... As I was doing that, I realised that I only had the 'short' birth certificate, no parents names present. Panic stations! This was at 2.55pm, with my interview set for 11am the following morning. Rang the registry office to be told they finished at 3pm and the earliest I could have a copy was 9am Friday, absolutely no use to me whatsoever. I begged and pleaded and got them to agree that if I was there in person by 4pm, they would give me a copy. I managed to make it from work in Warrington over to the council offices in Wigan just in time, but it really did not help my nerves, in fact I was a wreck on Thursday evening! Just imagine if after everything, I'd messed up on something as simple as that.

The help, guidance and reassurance I've had from here has been invaluable so I really want to say thanks to everyone that has taken the time to offer advice both on this thread and all the others.

For those that are thinking about doing this or going through it at the moment, I can say now that the process itself is pretty straight-forward; as long as you do look at all the details, make sure everything is correct at each stage and use the knowledge of those that have been through it before you then you will be fine. There is definitely no need whatsoever to pay someone to do it for you! It takes a lot of patience, it is a long process and there is a lot of repetition but in the end when all is done you realise that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you thought at the time.

So what's next... Well, I am planning to fly out at the end of April and we are getting married on the 10 June in Savannah. I have family and friends flying out from the UK to join us and we have an amazing couple of weeks planned whilst they're over. We did book the wedding a while ago which was a risk as we've had to pay deposits that we could have lost if I'd have had any problems, but it's been worthwhile because we have been able to plan everything exactly as we want it. It will be nice to sort the final details now without having all the doubt and worries of the application hanging over me.

I know we're only part way through and there's so much still to do, but I'm absolutely over the moon right now!
Old Feb 12th 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well folks, I'm all done. Had my visa interview on Friday and I've been accepted!
Congratulations
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Still hasn't quite sunk in...
Congratulations.

Well, I am planning to fly out at the end of April and we are getting married on the 10 June in Savannah.
Just remember not to leave the US until after you have filed to adjust your status and you have the Advance Parole document in your hands. Very important!

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations.

Thank you!

Just remember not to leave the US until after you have filed to adjust your status and you have the Advance Parole document in your hands. Very important!

Ian
Got it! Have no plans to leave once there other than possibly a trip home at Christmas depending on work etc
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Congratulations
Thank you! Looking at flights to Atlanta as we speak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.