Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A Little Advice Please...

A Little Advice Please...

Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Little Advice Please...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There is no more 6 month rule.

Rene

Ah, thanks or that Rene, I wasn't aware.
Does that mean that you can apply for DCF before the 6 months now??
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
..... Does that mean that you can apply for DCF before the 6 months now??
Yes, you just have to be able to prove legal residence in the UK, i.e. not a visitor.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, just wanted to update you on where I'm up to and ease my nerves a little...

My fiancé received our petition approval notice on Friday, confirmed as accepted on 23 September. They only received the case file on 10 August, so that's happened way quicker than I expected, right? VISA petition has now been sent off to the NVC for processing.

Now, the approval notice lasts from 23/9 to 22/01 and I'm right in thinking that there's no need to panic, here, because I still have plenty of time and this is just the length of time I have to complete the next phase? I am not looking to move over there until April of next year so I'm still on track for this by the time the processing, interview, medical etc is all done and I'm not going to have to look at going sooner?

From what I've read it looks okay but I just need someone to tell me it's all fine!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-129F approval has a 4 month validity, but can be extended if necessary. The main thing to watch out for is the date of the medical exam. The visa will be valid for 6 months from that date (regardless of when the interview is), so if you want to move in April 2017, I suggest having the medical no earlier than mid-November 2015.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well your visa will be valid for a six month window from the date of your medical, so the process comes with a lot of built-in flexibility. As of today you should push full steam ahead if you want to move next April. You can always stall the medical for a few months if you need to slow the process down again.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-129F approval has a 4 month validity, but can be extended if necessary. The main thing to watch out for is the date of the medical exam. The visa will be valid for 6 months from that date (regardless of when the interview is), so if you want to move in April 2017, I suggest having the medical no earlier than mid-November 2015.

Rene
Really! Glad you told me that... I'll read up on how to get that sorted. It will be mid-April before I go and I can push it back even into May if need be but I'd have sleep-walked into next year without booking my medical so thank you for highlighting it!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well your visa will be valid for a six month window from the date of your medical, so the process comes with a lot of built-in flexibility. As of today you should push full steam ahead if you want to move next April. You can always stall the medical for a few months if you need to slow the process down again.
Yes, it's all come as a bit of a shock... Was thinking Jan before I got approval, maybe, then go from there so to know we can start looking to make plans now is both equally wonderful and terrifying!

Do you think my interview is likely to be before Christmas; surely not...?
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Grapes
Yes, it's all come as a bit of a shock... Was thinking Jan before I got approval, maybe, then go from there so to know we can start looking to make plans now is both equally wonderful and terrifying!

Do you think my interview is likely to be before Christmas; surely not...?
The interview cannot happen until after the medical, so it depends when you are cleared to book your medical. Interviews seem to typically be around a month after the medical.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The interview cannot happen until after the medical, so it depends when you are cleared to book your medical. Interviews seem to typically be around a month after the medical.
I see... So say we get married mid-June (which works for all our guests both UK and US) then I should look to book medical for November & expect the interview in late December or Jan; theoretically I'll then be okay to move out there mid-late April thereby giving me ample time to get married in June and even apply for AOS within the 90 days...
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to get married within the 90 days. You don't have to file AOS within the 90 days, although it's best to file it ASAP after marriage.

Your timeline sounds OK, as usual the advice is to remain flexible.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Understood!

Thank you as always Rene and Pulaski for your advice and reassurance, it really is appreciated.

Still trying to get my head around the fact that I'm actually doing this at all, never mind ensure it all goes to plan!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:57 pm

I see... So say we get married mid-June (which works for all our guests both UK and US) then I should look to book medical for November & expect the interview in late December or Jan; theoretically I'll then be okay to move out there mid-late April thereby giving me ample time to get married in June and even apply for AOS within the 90 days...
That sounds good to me, and is certainly within the permitted time scales.
.... Thank you as always Rene and Pulaski for your advice and reassurance, it really is appreciated. ....
You're welcome.
.... Still trying to get my head around the fact that I'm actually doing this at all, never mind ensure it all goes to plan!
I think that marriage does that to you, even without the complications of applying for a visa added into the mix.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

I think that marriage does that to you, even without the complications of applying for a visa added into the mix. [/QUOTE]

I think you've hit the nail on the head there I keep forgetting there's actually a wedding to plan as well as all this! Then to find a job... Got to take it one step at a time or it could quite easily drive you mad, couldn't it.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please be aware that the US Consulate/Embassy will slow down during the end of December due to the holidays. Remember this when you go to book your appointment online.

Also in the US it is the month first, date second i.e. 9/23 to 1/22 And yes, you can push it FORWARD to May. Don't think you can push it back to May 2016. Sorry to be bitchy.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Please be aware that the US Consulate/Embassy will slow down during the end of December due to the holidays. Remember this when you go to book your appointment online.

Also in the US it is the month first, date second i.e. 9/23 to 1/22 And yes, you can push it FORWARD to May. Don't think you can push it back to May 2016. Sorry to be bitchy.
Pedant

I'm getting used to the dates, but it's just wrong!! Also much debate around the whole biscuit/scone/cookie thing along with chips/fries/steak fries which is also all nonsense...

Anyhow, I will take your advice and get cracking with the medical. I actually didn't realise it was two trips to London as I had assumed - mistakenly - that there would be places here Up North where I could have the medical. With all the other info I've digested this last 10 months that bit passed me by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.