Wikiposts

Life after I-130

Old Jan 15th 2004, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: London...But originally born, bred and raised in NY!!
NYState of Mind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life after I-130

Originally posted by Ray Quayle
NY,
You know, I think for the I-130, either will do. You used passport and I
used ADIT and we both got passed that point, so it seems that the DHS at the
London Embassy is flexible on that point. With regards to the next step, I
haven't actually received the Packet 4 yet. They gave me the interview date
via email and said the Packet 4 would be mailed this week. I will let you
know as soon as I receive it though if there are any surprises. My belief
is that from this point, I'll need 4 ADITs for the visa and 1 ADIT for the
medical. Most forms clearly state if a photograph is required and I, like
you, could find no mention of it for the I-864. I can't remember where I
read about needing 1 for the medical, but for the visa
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/iv/ds2001.htm lists the
requirements for the visa and from the Photographs link or scrolling down to
the Color Photographs section, it states 4 are required and they describe
the ADIT style.

How are you making out on the I-864? As I recall you are, like me the USC
and both you and spouse are living here in England. Have you encountered
any problems? I'm in a pretty easy spot as although I've been living abroad
since 1984 and in England since 1990, I've always worked for the same US
company on US Government orders, been paid in US dollars (not so great at
the moment!) to my US bank and always filed my US taxes, so I have no
problem with the 1040s or the W-2s.

"NYState of Mind" <member3487@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Ray, I know you had mentioned this in an earlier posting about ADIT
    > photos. So I apologize ahead of time if I am repeating myself.
    > I know passport sized photos are needed for the I-130 process. As you
    > know I'm now onto our I-864 process with our packet 3. I did not see or
    > read anything about ADIT photos for this step of the process. Since
    > you're a couple of steps ahead of me, does it state anywhere in your
    > interview letter that you need ADIT sized photos and how many?
    > I read about another couple's experiences and that when they went to
    > their actual interview they needed to supply the embassy w/ADIT sized
    > photos. I'm wondering perhaps it only states it in the next phase
    > (which would be the actual letter stating when your interview is)? Did
    > that make sense? I hope so.
    > Thank you so much. You've been a star in answering all my questions.
    > Didn't mean to change the subject for this thread.
    > Back to your normal program already in progress.. : )
    > Ongoing GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Thanks Ray for your input. I really wasn't trying to make things difficult as some may have thought in my other post. Oh well. You are very patient and kind. The link you provided me answers my question. I knew I read it somewhere I just couldn't remember where..

So far the process is fine. We have not run into any problems. (((Fingers crossed))). I've only been living here for two years and the only hiccup I foresee is that I haven't been employed since Jan. 2002 (moved here without visa, traveled back and fourth every three months to get that new stamp every 90 days. Finally got engaged but couldn't work in the UK on a fiancee visa, got married 8 months later and now am pregnant and getting a job at this point in time is moote - hence why I haven't worked for two years) But taxes have always been filed. So with that my husband will have to file the I-864A form which is a contract between Sponsor and Household Member which basically indicates he is the sole breadwinner in our household. But I really don't think it's going to cause a **huge** detour. At least I don't think so. And I still have an active residence back in NY with regards to bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

So slowly but surely I know we'll be back home. I just hope we arrive there before our baby does here!!

Again, that's for the input and that link.. Cheers.. : )
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

rayquayle is an unknown quantity at this point

I said that I would let y'all know how it turned out. No problems on the 12th. Thanks to the group, we knew exactly what was coming and had an uneventful day. It turns out that if you last name begins with a letter from the last half of the alphabet, you go to the Embassy for the interview first and then the Docs so we were lucky enough to know that as long as the medical was cool we were in. To me that's an easier way to be as if you do the medical first, the paperwork is always the big question, it was nice to know that was all in order first thing. Things at the Embassy were a bit slow with respects to other postings, but they may have been short handed. At any rate they starting handing out visas just after 1pm and we were the second ones to get our package. We'll be flying to Philadelphia for a long weekend on the 26th of February to get this thing activated. Now for the N-400 journey!

Thanks to all who take part in this forum for all the help you provide.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by rayquayle
I said that I would let y'all know how it turned out. No problems on the 12th. Thanks to the group, we knew exactly what was coming and had an uneventful day. It turns out that if you last name begins with a letter from the last half of the alphabet, you go to the Embassy for the interview first and then the Docs so we were lucky enough to know that as long as the medical was cool we were in. To me that's an easier way to be as if you do the medical first, the paperwork is always the big question, it was nice to know that was all in order first thing. Things at the Embassy were a bit slow with respects to other postings, but they may have been short handed. At any rate they starting handing out visas just after 1pm and we were the second ones to get our package. We'll be flying to Philadelphia for a long weekend on the 26th of February to get this thing activated. Now for the N-400 journey!

Hi Ray, BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY AS WELL. (Wasn't your b-day on the same day as your interview?)

We just received our police certificate from the Metropolitan Police and are awaiting one from the Belgian Government. After that we'll put forward the papers and see how long it takes from there.

Again congratulations to you and yours... When will you be actually moving to the States?
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

NYSOM,
Thanks for the congrats. With it only being 69 days from start to visa and with us never having been separated, we haven't had to go through what others endure, but we are still happy that one phase is completed. You have a good memory, it was my birthday on the day. None of the folks looking at paperwork for the visa noticed (too busy doing what they need to), but while waiting for my spouse at the Doc's office, there were a couple of USC wives waiting for their UKC spouses when a woman walked in with a baby and one of the USC wives asked how old the baby was. The woman replied "Five months", to which the USC wife remarked "Mine is 22 months". Well, I had to jump in and say "Today is my birthday, I'm 528 months"! Sort of broke the tension a bit.

I hope the Belgian Police Certificate doesn't take too much longer. Once you send the checklist from packet 3, it shouldn't be more than a couple of three weeks to receive an interview date.

We won't actually be moving to the States for quite some time. My current contract runs through the end of 2005 and I plan to do one more that will run to the end of 2008.

Thanks again and good luck to you two.

Originally posted by NYState of Mind
Hi Ray, BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY AS WELL. (Wasn't your b-day on the same day as your interview?)

We just received our police certificate from the Metropolitan Police and are awaiting one from the Belgian Government. After that we'll put forward the papers and see how long it takes from there.

Again congratulations to you and yours... When will you be actually moving to the States?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Houndey is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great news Ray! I'm glad it all went well. I have my interview on Thursday (3 days!!!!) and I'm geting a bit nervous now, but reading your reply it sounds like I should not have any problems.

I'll let you know how it goes.

And again, Congratulations!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

.....when a woman walked in with a baby and one of the USC wives asked how old the baby was. The woman replied "Five months", to which the USC wife remarked "Mine is 22 months". Well, I had to jump in and say "Today is my birthday, I'm 528 months"! Sort of broke the tension a bit.

We won't actually be moving to the States for quite some time. My current contract runs through the end of 2005 and I plan to do one more that will run to the end of 2008.
I thought that 528 months comment was awesome. Very funny. Gave me a chuckle.

Ray I have a couple of questions for you regarding the "time constraint" on the visa, validating it, and how you're actually going about it etc. and would like to PM you if you don't mind. I won't take up much of your time. Just want to compare notes and timeframes. My husband and I have a specific timeframe/plan in mind pending his current position at work and I'd rather not post it for all the world to see.

Cheers,
Yvonne
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Houndey,
Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck to you on Thursday. I look forward to reading your experience.

Ray Q
Originally posted by Houndey
That's great news Ray! I'm glad it all went well. I have my interview on Thursday (3 days!!!!) and I'm geting a bit nervous now, but reading your reply it sounds like I should not have any problems.

I'll let you know how it goes.

And again, Congratulations!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

NYSOM,
I understand completely. Feel free to PM any time. If I can, I'd be happy to answer.

Ray Q
I thought that 528 months comment was awesome. Very funny. Gave me a chuckle.

Ray I have a couple of questions for you regarding the "time constraint" on the visa, validating it, and how you're actually going about it etc. and would like to PM you if you don't mind. I won't take up much of your time. Just want to compare notes and timeframes. My husband and I have a specific timeframe/plan in mind pending his current position at work and I'd rather not post it for all the world to see.

Cheers,
Yvonne
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

NYSOM,
I understand completely. Feel free to PM any time. If I can, I'd be happy to answer.

Ray Q
Hi Ray, Just following up to see if you got my PM. Hope all is well.

Cheers,
Y
Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Yvonne,
I'm sorry this has taken so long. We've recently moved back to North Yorkshire from Cambridgeshire, but I'm still working in Cambridgeshire and the commute presents a problem with the internet. I have replied to your PM, but don't know how much help the reply will be.

Hi Ray, Just following up to see if you got my PM. Hope all is well.

Cheers,
Y
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Houndey,
Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck to you on Thursday. I look forward to reading your experience.

Ray Q
Hi!

All went well on the 19th I'm happy to report. I think it went pretty much to the usual plan, Doctors appointment in the morning (which involved lots of sitting around waiting!) and then to the embassy (for more waiting!) but just as my visa interview was over the officer told me all the medicals were in and they were all fine, so he told me congratulations and that if I sit down for a few minutes they will get it printed for me! It saved having to come back at 1pm at least! and we were the first ones to get it!

We were planning on moving over there in April but I have been offered a 6 month contract over here which I'll probably accept so I'll probably just go for a short break in April to activate the visa and come back and work this contract out.

Thanks for everyones help in these forums as it provided me with alot of advice etc. and Good luck to anyone else going through this at the moment.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Houndey
Hi!

All went well on the 19th I'm happy to report. I think it went pretty much to the usual plan, Doctors appointment in the morning (which involved lots of sitting around waiting!) and then to the embassy (for more waiting!) but just as my visa interview was over the officer told me all the medicals were in and they were all fine, so he told me congratulations and that if I sit down for a few minutes they will get it printed for me! It saved having to come back at 1pm at least! and we were the first ones to get it!

We were planning on moving over there in April but I have been offered a 6 month contract over here which I'll probably accept so I'll probably just go for a short break in April to activate the visa and come back and work this contract out.

Thanks for everyones help in these forums as it provided me with alot of advice etc. and Good luck to anyone else going through this at the moment.
Good luck to you.. Glad to hear it went flawlessly..
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Good luck to you.. Glad to hear it went flawlessly..
Thanks alot!

And the best of luck to you too. I'm sure everything will go fine for you with help from these forums!

All I can say that it will probably not be as complex or stressfull as you think. I actually found it alot easier than I thought, the thing is to make sure your prepared and have all the correct documents etc and then its just a case of going there and waiting lots!

Just let us know when its all complete and how it went!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Great news! Congrats and good luck!

Ray Q