Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Letters from bank and employer

Wikiposts

Letters from bank and employer

Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Letters from bank and employer

What exactly is the consulate looking for here? I assume they want to verify employment and financial standing. Are there templates or examples for these letters somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tony
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:40 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letters from bank and employer

Originally posted by lpdiver
What exactly is the consulate looking for here? I assume they want to verify employment and financial standing. Are there templates or examples for these letters somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tony
Hi Tony,
This is what my employer wrote:

To whom it may concern:
Ms. XXXXXXX has been in continuous permanent employment with XXXXXX for the past 14 years. Her current salary is XXXXX without retirement contributions and XXXXX including retirement contributions. Her position is tenured, full time, and permanent. Please feel free to contact XXXXXXX if more information is required. etc etc

and this is basically what the bank wrote:

Ms. XXXXX has both checking and savings accounts with our institution, which were opened on XXXXXX. The present balance in Ms. XXXX's checking account ( number ) is XXXX , and the present balance in the savings account (number) is XXXXXX. Total amounts deposited for the last year are as follows:
list amount checking
list amount savings
Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

My bank is really great and friendly, but I also went in prepared, basically telling them what I needed written. I also went in with copies of the last year's statements and the totals all added up so they didn't have to do any work except to make sure I added correctly. Hope this helps.

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Tony,

The instructions on the form I-134 tell you what information both the bank and employment letters should contain. If you're not using your bank account as assets to make up for insufficient income there should be no need for a bank letter.

The DS-2000 instruction sheet for evidence that the visa applicant won't become a public charge gives you the general guidelines for what evidence must be presented.

Regards, JEff

Thanks,

Tony
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Thats pretty much what I had in mind. I just figured that there was a form (sample) somewhere. Similar to the one I have seen for the intent to marry.

Tony

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Hi Tony,
This is what my employer wrote:

To whom it may concern:
Ms. XXXXXXX has been in continuous permanent employment with XXXXXX for the past 14 years. Her current salary is XXXXX without retirement contributions and XXXXX including retirement contributions. Her position is tenured, full time, and permanent. Please feel free to contact XXXXXXX if more information is required. etc etc

and this is basically what the bank wrote:

Ms. XXXXX has both checking and savings accounts with our institution, which were opened on XXXXXX. The present balance in Ms. XXXX's checking account ( number ) is XXXX , and the present balance in the savings account (number) is XXXXXX. Total amounts deposited for the last year are as follows:
list amount checking
list amount savings
Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

My bank is really great and friendly, but I also went in prepared, basically telling them what I needed written. I also went in with copies of the last year's statements and the totals all added up so they didn't have to do any work except to make sure I added correctly. Hope this helps.

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:45 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Tony,

The instructions on the form I-134 tell you what information both the bank and employment letters should contain. If you're not using your bank account as assets to make up for insufficient income there should be no need for a bank letter.

JEff,
Good point, as always! However, being the anal retentive type that I am, I got the letter anyway.

~SG
(expecting Mr. P to receive packet three any day now......yay!)
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks JEff,

That is the exact source point information that I was looking for. Now I can find the I-134 form and the DS-2000 instruction sheet and read for myself. So I presume that these letters are to back up my claims as to my ability to support my new bride, you have probably saved me a few hours or research.

Tony

Tony,

The DS-2000 instruction sheet for evidence that the visa applicant won't become a public charge gives you the general guidelines for what evidence must be presented.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I to will go loaded for bear. Apparently I don't need the bank letter, but will have it as well as one from my credit union.

Tony

JEff,
Good point, as always! However, being the anal retentive type that I am, I got the letter anyway.

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 10:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Tony,

Many people get confused when comparing the requirements as stated on the DS-2000 and on the I-134. The 2 can seem a bit inconsistent.

Good luck.

Regards, JEff

Thanks JEff,

That is the exact source point information that I was looking for. Now I can find the I-134 form and the DS-2000 instruction sheet and read for myself. So I presume that these letters are to back up my claims as to my ability to support my new bride, you have probably saved me a few hours or research.

Tony
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:00 am

SG,

Actually, I would have provided a bank letter also - if my bank didn't want $50 to prepare it.

I'm anal too, but more so about my money.

Regards, JEff

JEff,

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Well since you have pointed me to the source documents I can educate myself. I find that when you know the fact you aften know more than the person you are speaking to, especially with the IRS ans USCIS and knoweledge is power.

Tony,

Many people get confused when comparing the requirements as stated on the DS-2000 and on the I-134. The 2 can seem a bit inconsistent.

Good luck.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:10 am
The Missus

SG,

Actually, I would have provided a bank letter also - if my bank didn't want $50 to prepare it.

I'm anal too, but more so about my money.

Regards, JEff
Wow! $50? I will thank my lucky stars tonight that I bank where I do. The gentleman who prepared my bank letters was so friendly, and so interested in the process. He is also a notary, so his stamp appears on just about every inch of my I134. He even went along with my suggestion that he sign the letters in blue ball point and press hard to show an original signature. *Egad*, I really *do* have a problem.......

"Hi, my name is SG, and I'm anal retentive......"

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been dealing with my bank for thirty years and they want to help so it was all gratis. Or will be.

Wow! $50? I will thank my lucky stars tonight that I bank where I do. The gentleman who prepared my bank letters was so friendly, and so interested in the process. He is also a notary, so his stamp appears on just about every inch of my I134. He even went along with my suggestion that he sign the letters in blue ball point and press hard to show an original signature. *Egad*, I really *do* have a problem.......

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:15 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

He even went along with my suggestion that he sign the letters in blue ball point and press hard to show an original signature. *Egad*, I really *do* have a problem.......

Yes, yes you are...
(But it's still a great idea!! hehehehe!)

And I'm also in that camp of "I'm getting the letter even though income & copies of US Savings Bonds should be plenty, just to be sure..."
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually it is the uscis with the problems. I too had all forms signed in blue even though black is preferred on legal documents.

~SG
Old Dec 13th 2003, 11:26 am
The Missus

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
Yes, yes you are...
(But it's still a great idea!! hehehehe!)

And I'm also in that camp of "I'm getting the letter even though income & copies of US Savings Bonds should be plenty, just to be sure..."
Hi Vik,
Actually I can't claim credit for the blue ballpoint pen idea......that's Matt Udall's advice for DIY-ers......

Thanks, Matt!

~SG

P.S. I'm not using assets for the I134, only salary and yet I have the bank letter, 12 months of bank statements, paychecks for the last year and OH! On Friday I got a copy of my teaching contract in inter-office mail. My first thought was, "Oh, goodie! More evidence!!!!!!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.