let me get this right

Old May 19th 2014, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

totalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: let me get this right

Originally Posted by rpjs
Your wife-to-be has to sponsor your I-864 when you reach that stage, whether she has the necessary income or assets or not. If it's a case of "not" then you have a couple of alternatives;

A) find a joint sponsor who does meet the income/assets requirements. This can be any US citizen or permanent resident who lives in the US.

B) if you have sufficient income, assets or a mixture of both of your own, you can be a "contributing household member" (form I-864A) that's added to her I-864. This is a very common scenario - I did it myself.

Don't forget you can use a mixture of income and assets - you just can't use the same thing as income AND asset - e.g. you can either use the income from renting a UK house out or you can use the equity in that house as an asset but not both.
yeah i was told i couldnt rent my house out and use it as an asset which is understandable. can i give my spouse or sponsor money for the purpose of this ?

they dont make it easy do they lol
Old May 19th 2014, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by totalguy
i was told last time i posted a thread here it was £74,000.00 because it was just me and her which i will get myself saved as im determined to go out there its better for me all round especially health wise
If assets are used, it is currently $19,662*3 or $58,986.

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of...uidelines.html
hmmmm but she has nothing to sponsor me with assets wise. is there a reason for it because i dont understand why that should happen especially if i can sponsor myself with assets/savings
She files the petition so is therefore the sponsor.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

totalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond reputetotalguy has a reputation beyond repute

so can i give my partner money for this ?
Old May 19th 2014, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i was told i couldnt rent my house out and use it as an asset which is understandable. can i give my spouse or sponsor money for the purpose of this ?

they dont make it easy do they lol
For some people it is financially easier bring a spouse to the US than to the UK. The UK requires that the UKC has been making at least £18,600 in the foreign country and have a job offer in the UK paying at least that much or have £62,000 sitting in a bank account for 6 months or the UKC must return to the UK and get a job that pays at least £18,600 and then 6 months later they can bring their US spouse. No joint sponsor is allowed.

The financial requirements for bringing a UK spouse to the US is lower, assets don't necessarily have to be in a bank, and joint sponsors are allowed.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you get married first, I don't think you need to since assets are considered joint. From a US tax point of view, there wouldn't be any tax on the receiver of a gift but there may possibly be a tax from the UK government for you.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes time to file the I-864, you will already be married, so your savings are her savings, no need to "give" her the money. She can use that savings on her I-864.

Rene
Old May 19th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

ahhhh thankyou michael and noorah now im getting it!

so technically if i got the money and/or assets once we are married it should all be fine? providing everything else is in good order of course
Old May 19th 2014, 7:35 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

i was told last time i posted a thread here it was £74,000.00 because it was just me and her which i will get myself saved as im determined to go out there its better for me all round especially health wise
Just had a quick look at your previous posts. You were told $74k (not £) before because you said your household size would be 3 (you, your fiancee and a child).

If it's now just the 2 of you then use Michael's figures.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ahhhh thankyou michael and noorah now im getting it!

so technically if i got the money and/or assets once we are married it should all be fine? providing everything else is in good order of course
Yes you could do the K-1 visa route (fiancée visa) or get married first and apply for the CR-1 immigrant visa (spousal visa). There are differences and some prefer the K-1 visa and others prefer the CR-1 visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas
Old May 20th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Just had a quick look at your previous posts. You were told $74k (not £) before because you said your household size would be 3 (you, your fiancee and a child).

If it's now just the 2 of you then use Michael's figures.
yes it will be 2 technically because her child doesnt officially live at her house.

so $58,986 thats much better and easier to achieve

Last edited by totalguy; May 20th 2014 at 1:41 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
Yes you could do the K-1 visa route (fiancée visa) or get married first and apply for the CR-1 immigrant visa (spousal visa). There are differences and some prefer the K-1 visa and others prefer the CR-1 visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas
im not sure to be honest, i had a quick look at that link and all the information is too overwhelming for my brain at the moment i hate it when things like this happen to me grr!
Old May 20th 2014, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

yes it will be 2 technically because her child doesnt officially live at her house.
I'm happy to be proven wrong on this one, but I'm pretty sure that living in the same house (officially or otherwise) isn't the sole criterium for determining whether or not someone is included as part of the household.

Ian
Old May 20th 2014, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm happy to be proven wrong on this one, but I'm pretty sure that living in the same house (officially or otherwise) isn't the sole criterium for determining whether or not someone is included as part of the household.

Ian
yeah i get what you mean, he is 10 and claims social security, he has adhd and some bad alergies. but the claim is with his grandparents and their household.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... but the claim is with his grandparents and their household.
Do the grandparents also claim the child as as dependent on their tax returns?

Ian
Old May 20th 2014, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do the grandparents also claim the child as as dependent on their tax returns?

Ian
yes they do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.