Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Wikiposts

Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:54 am
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Hi all,

I've posted here several times over the last few months since my wife and I relocated to the USA from the UK in December. During these posts, I've commented on our struggle to get settled and our thoughts about moving back to the UK.

Almost six months in, I think we are at the point of making a decision, with a return to the UK the most realistic option.

I know I am not alone - but the hostility towards me as a UK citizen looking for work in a tough market has been shocking - completely different from what I experienced the last time I lived here. Companies and organizations in my field (public affairs and communications) just don't seem prepared to hire me - and I suspect this is the outcome of being in such a tough job market. Surprisingly, they've told me this to my face - 18 months in DC and 4 years building on these skills in the UK is not enough!

However, aside from that, my question really relates to my status as a permanent resident.

I know I'm required to file a petition to be out of the USA and this can last for up to 2 years (with no guarantees!). My question is, can I file this once I'm in the UK? I am planning a trip to be back home for a few weeks, and have considered doing this. Or must I file it before I leave?

It's very confusing. I've had a look around here on the forum and can't find anything specific to answer my question. I realise that this might end up harming my ability to travel in and out of the USA (I've an American wife, so this concerns both of us).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:02 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Originally Posted by cy1982
Hi all,

I've posted here several times over the last few months since my wife and I relocated to the USA from the UK in December. During these posts, I've commented on our struggle to get settled and our thoughts about moving back to the UK.

Almost six months in, I think we are at the point of making a decision, with a return to the UK the most realistic option.

I know I am not alone - but the hostility towards me as a UK citizen looking for work in a tough market has been shocking - completely different from what I experienced the last time I lived here. Companies and organizations in my field (public affairs and communications) just don't seem prepared to hire me - and I suspect this is the outcome of being in such a tough job market. Surprisingly, they've told me this to my face - 18 months in DC and 4 years building on these skills in the UK is not enough!

However, aside from that, my question really relates to my status as a permanent resident.

I know I'm required to file a petition to be out of the USA and this can last for up to 2 years (with no guarantees!). My question is, can I file this once I'm in the UK? I am planning a trip to be back home for a few weeks, and have considered doing this. Or must I file it before I leave?

It's very confusing. I've had a look around here on the forum and can't find anything specific to answer my question. I realise that this might end up harming my ability to travel in and out of the USA (I've an American wife, so this concerns both of us).

Thanks in advance.
You have to do it before leaving the US to reside overseas again by filing the I-131 Re-Entry Permit form. All the info is here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

There are some Canadian expats with Green Cards who are working with my spouse in Switzerland and they had to file the Re-entry permits as they have an apartment in New York City. My spouse however, gave up his green card.

PS: This is the link for the form you can download for the Re-Entry Permit, the fees and where to send it (and when you find which 'lockbox' it is you should be able to find out the likely processing times for your State):

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

Bear in mind that you will have to go and have your 'biometrics' taken all over again! The fees for the Re-Entry Permit aren't cheap either!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 11th 2012 at 4:14 am.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:14 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Originally Posted by cy1982
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
is 6 months long enough to make a decision to return? My Aunts live in Adelaide, one hated it for the first year or so and now she loves it.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
is 6 months long enough to make a decision to return? My Aunts live in Adelaide, one hated it for the first year or so and now she loves it.
I agree with the above comment. 6 months is just still so new. I don't think I started to feel really settled for a good few years. My latest trip back to the UK has finally made me realize I am now much more acclimated to the US than the UK....only took 15 years.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your negative job-hunting experiences. I have had the opposite, the being-English thing has really worked in my favor.

Dave.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:50 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davenay67
Anyway, sorry to hear about your negative job-hunting experiences. I have had the opposite, the being-English thing has really worked in my favor.

Dave.
This has been my experience as well. Not sure why that would be but it certainly seems to have worked for me in interviews etc.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
This has been my experience as well. Not sure why that would be but it certainly seems to have worked for me in interviews etc.
Just to throw in another point of view, my experience has been totally the opposite. 20+years of U.K. experience counted for nothing. It took me the best part of a year to get any sort of job and then another 2 years to actually get a job in my field. I eventually got a senior network engineer position for a grand total of $14 per hour with no benefits.
10 years after arriving, things are a bit better but a week doesn't go past without someone questioning why I am here, "stealing" American jobs.

I'd also point out that the OP has worked in the US before. It's not like he didn't know what to expect. It's just that things have changed. He may be running out of money. Better to call it a day and get back home while he can than stick it out here and run out of money. The U.S. isn't somewhere you want to be with no money behind you.

Last edited by cluedweasel; Jun 11th 2012 at 4:57 am.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:02 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Just to throw in another point of view, my experience has been totally the opposite. 20+years of U.K. experience counted for nothing. It took me the best part of a year to get any sort of job and then another 2 years to actually get a job in my field. I eventually got a senior network engineer position for a grand total of $14 per hour with no benefits.
10 years after arriving, things are a bit better but a week doesn't go past without someone questioning why I am here, "stealing" American jobs.

I'd also point out that the OP has worked in the US before. It's not like he didn't know what to expect. It's just that things have changed. He may be running out of money. Better to call it a day and get back home while he can than stick it out here and run out of money. The U.S. isn't somewhere you want to be with no money behind you.
Thats unfortunate. I have never encountered anything approaching the "stealing american jobs" thing. I guess I have been lucky as I have had a pretty smooth ride job-wise.

I do agree that the US is not somewhere to be if you have no cushion.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nor have i.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
And I the opposite again. Got offered work to come here based on my 20++ years experience, etc.

Perhaps because LA is such a melting pot you'd be hard pressed to find a native so I don't think anyone here would ever ask such a question. However, I'd just reply that there was no one here able or willing to do the job.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP should give the US a bit more time, 6 months is about the time when people get "the blues" and really start to miss home. Having said that he is in the US at a really bad time for employment. I'm currently working, but I've been looking for a more enjoyable job for 2 years and even with a PhD and 20 years of experience I've only had one offer, and that was contract with no benefits.

If the OP does return he and his wife should be aware of the new means testing of non-EU spousal visas unless his wife can return because of previous UK residency.

Also if he is leaving the US with the intent to reside in the UK he should file an 8854 with the IRS.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:46 am
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
I think the OP should give the US a bit more time, 6 months is about the time when people get "the blues" and really start to miss home. Having said that he is in the US at a really bad time for employment. I'm currently working, but I've been looking for a more enjoyable job for 2 years and even with a PhD and 20 years of experience I've only had one offer, and that was contract with no benefits.

If the OP does return he and his wife should be aware of the new means testing of non-EU spousal visas unless his wife can return because of previous UK residency.

Also if he is leaving the US with the intent to reside in the UK he should file an 8854 with the IRS.
The part in bold there is interesting - my wife lived with me in the UK from 2008 until 2011 on a 'partner' visa. The original ran from 2008 to 2010, and then from 2010 until 2012 we renewed it (at this point we were married).

I assume this counts as 'UK residency'?
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for your replies - all really helpful and a very diverse set of experiences. It is good to know that we are not alone in these experiences.

I really want it to work here. We invested a great deal of time and effort to make the move over here possible.

I don't doubt that I'm also experiencing periodic bouts of homesickness (i miss family, friends, even the day to day monotony) but I also think that it's symptomatic of the changes we're going through at this moment.

I certainly expected it to be much smoother than this. What we don't want to be doing though is hanging in here until the last possible moment, using all of our savings in pursuit of something that's not working out. I guess I am a very driven, career oriented person, itching to get back to work and determined to show my skills and talents.

We will certainly be sitting down and taking stock of everything' the pros and cons of moving, staying and even hanging in a little longer.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:06 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Leaving the USA with a Green Card

Do you currently have any health insurance coverage in the US?

Something you need to take on board
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 5 months (from Australia) and also haven't been able to find a job. I am also now considering whether to "hang in there" or just to pack up, stick my tail between my legs, and go back home.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Do you currently have any health insurance coverage in the US?

Something you need to take on board
Yes - we both signed up for temporary health insurance, covering us for emergencies etc. The maximum duration of this is a year, so we can continue to renew until December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.